E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive settings Disappearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newbie here, still, but I have been trying to read a lot. As a first time owner, I feel pretty overwhelmed.
There is indeed a lot of information here that I would have never imagined about my E60.
I am so glad there is a forum like this one.

About the title question:

What I have gathered is that some settings like the clock, average MPG consumption, and others (that I may not be aware about) kind of reset or go blank without any info if we got a deficient battery, i.e. a battery that will die soon. -battery related problem-

But I also have learned that there may be software issues associated with this?

I read someone had problems with the active steering and that caused the data to be erased?

What happened to me:

Last night, I turned off the option to have the inside lights on after opening the doors. The manual says that I should hold the middle button on the top/roof console for about three seconds, and the lights would no longer turn on. I managed this just fine. But this morning, as I went out I saw that for the first time ever, my info disappeared after I turned on the car. No clock, no miles traveled, MPG consumption....

Coincidence? Or is this a known issue? Is there anything else that could cause this glitch?

I drive a 2006 530i.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Members

I guess what happened to me was a bit unusual.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Transporter' post='775949' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:58 AM
I am a newbie here, still, but I have been trying to read a lot. As a first time owner, I feel pretty overwhelmed.
There is indeed a lot of information here that I would have never imagined about my E60.
I am so glad there is a forum like this one.

Last night, I turned off the option to have the inside lights on after opening the doors. The manual says that I should hold the middle button on the top/roof console for about three seconds, and the lights would no longer turn on. I managed this just fine. But this morning, as I went out I saw that for the first time ever, my info disappeared after I turned on the car. No clock, no miles traveled, MPG consumption....
Welcome to this forum. It's good to have a place where so much information is shared and discussed.

As far as I know, the problem you describe is not a very common or well known one. It's probably not your battery, as you would have other issues as well. There's a way to reset the instrument cluster through the service menu, but that only happens if you hold the instrument panel button for a long time and then enter the menu. That would only happen on purpose.

There have been 2 posts about instrument cluster issues if I recall correctly. I think they happened once and didn't come back (may be related to faulty messages on the CAN bus or something?).

If the problem does come back, it's easy to remove the instrument cluster and check the (single) cable and connector. You only have to remove 2 screws on the top side in order to remove it.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

[
Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Members

Ive got a simular problem.

I drive around with the NAv split screen and have the DVD player with an MP3 DVD in it with the journey computer or the computer on in the assistance window.

When i get out of the car and then the car has been left over night, the car defaults to Radio mode and the assistance window on the right changes to blank and then you chagne everythign back to how it was before... MP3 in CD / DVD section and then click on assistance window to open computer again.

Its so asnnoying having a blank space there.

I swear when i first got my 530 it had full screen entertainment and NAV funcftions and not this split screen stuff.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Members

[