E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Services Accuracy for the Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i/6spd

On every bimmer I've had, I've never been given a mileage estimate as to when things need to be serviced (except the Zed told me when it wanted it's next oil change).

My iDrive indicates I have 700 miles left on the rear. They look plenty thick to me (car has 25k miles) though there is always the possibility that the inside pad has worn more quickly than the outside - the one I can see without removing the wheel that looks thick. My brakes also occasionally squeek but I've considered this is from my aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors in front.

So my question is this; will a light come on like on older BMW's and say "brake linings" when the pad sensor actually hits??? Is the mileage until next service estimates such as the brakes just an algorithm that isn't necessarily accurate???
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Well, since you have only 25K on the car it's still covered under the maint warranty, I say change em if it tells you. You aren't paying for it - who cares? I have the opposite problem - brakes squeal like a stuck pig and the dealer said last time it was "normal" and they couldn't change them until the computer told them to.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='997547' date='Sep 3 2009, 06:57 PM
On every bimmer I've had, I've never been given a mileage estimate as to when things need to be serviced (except the Zed told me when it wanted it's next oil change).

My iDrive indicates I have 700 miles left on the rear. They look plenty thick to me (car has 25k miles) though there is always the possibility that the inside pad has worn more quickly than the outside - the one I can see without removing the wheel that looks thick. My brakes also occasionally squeek but I've considered this is from my aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors in front.

So my question is this; will a light come on like on older BMW's and say "brake linings" when the pad sensor actually hits???
Is the mileage until next service estimates such as the brakes just an algorithm that isn't necessarily accurate???
Yes ... the sensor should trigger a pad alert for that particular pad and if all 4 pads on that axle are wearing uniformly you should be OK. That said, you should have a brake inspection done by independent or BMW mechanic to be sure. You must be a low-mileage driver and if you're still covered by the maintenance warranty it's less expensive.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Members

i don't have maint though because the car is an 04 correct??
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='998532' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:46 AM
i don't have maint though because the car is an 04 correct??

Depends if you bought it CPO, then yes you do (6 years/100K warranty and Maint). If you bought it simply used, you don't have any warranty left, sorry bro. These cars are not cheap to fix I would suggest a good after market warranty company (no recommendations, sorry, I am looking for one for my wife's Subaru)
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I had an issue when i first bought the car. The sensor said 700 or so miles left or something like that on the rears... I took it in and as soon as the guy looked at it he reset the computer and it started reading in the thousands. I cannot remember exactly. It may just have to get reset.

BTW, yes, you will get a gong and an exclamation point when it is time...

Tonymac
Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='997558' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:19 PM
Well, since you have only 25K on the car it's still covered under the maint warranty, I say change em if it tells you. You aren't paying for it - who cares? I have the opposite problem - brakes squeal like a stuck pig and the dealer said last time it was "normal" and they couldn't change them until the computer told them to.
hey bro, i brought mines in for the same issue. first time around they said, its my aftermarket wheels, so i asked for a 2nd appointment with the foreman to ride along. When i brought it back, he didnt even ride, he just replaced the rear sensors and the brake pads, reason being 'its a known issue that sensors malfunction and the brake pads were worn anyways.' From his explanation, it looks bad when i bring back the car for the same issue within the same week. Plus i'm still under the maintenance and warranty.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='998534' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:48 AM
Depends if you bought it CPO, then yes you do (6 years/100K warranty and Maint).

Are you sure CPO extends the maintenance?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='998568' date='Sep 4 2009, 12:35 PM
Are you sure CPO extends the maintenance?

Mine did, when I bought my car I didn't add the extended maint, but I am still covered every time I have been to the dealer. According to them I have maint until 6 years from the "in service date" which in my case is 03/2011
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

well an aftermarket warranty wouldn't cover maint stuff like brake pads anyway..

I don't mind seeing the mileage warning - and I don't mind if it's time to replace them either. I was just curious if this estimate was accurate. Sounds like it may not necessarily be so..

Quick Reply: iDrive Services Accuracy for the Brakes?