E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive screen went blank

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I for one, have never had a problem with my I-Drive not comming on. Sometimes (MAYBE 5%) it takes a sec or two, most of the time, however its immediate.

I often find it weird that I will have the door open, keys in hand, and be in the process of stepping out of the car when the I-Drive and radio cut off!

Dunno where you find ver 11.3 whatever, I have been all over service mode in my non-NAV I-drive....

My car is January 04 build.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 30 2004, 08:56 PM
Ahhhh, 3/05/04, that is.? Better??
Aha! Now maybe I'm the nut!

I never realized you were referring to the 5th of March, I assumed you slipped up on the year (as you correctly surmised). I should have figured it out since mine was finished production on 3/3/04. (Kinda cool that my birthday is 3/2, isn't it?)

Either way, you know I was just funning...
Old 06-30-2004, 07:29 PM
JDN
Contributors

Always a pleasure to exchange with you, Rudy. Not to mention that I have picked up a lot from your contributions to the board. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 30 2004, 11:29 PM
Always a pleasure to exchange with you, Rudy.? Not to mention that I have picked up a lot from your contributions to the board. Thanks.
Right back at you buddy!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:07 AM
DrT
Members

I'm intrigued at your requirement to "Accept" on start up. What does the i-drive Accept screen look like - we don't have it in the UK. Is that a US DoT requirement ? Like hey Mr American Driver, please be aware this car doesn't drive itself and you constantly staring at this screen, binnacle right, is somewhat hazardous, so if you don't mind, press your I-drive to accept liability and indemnify BMW NA.......
Old 07-01-2004, 04:31 AM
JDN
Contributors

Mr. BMW's lawyers obviously realize the bountiful supply of legal eagles we American Drivers have at our command to sue and the propensity we have for doing same. Hence, there is a disclaimer screen on iDrive startup to remind, or hassle, us with a notification that we are more or less responsible for our own actions. Great lesson, but worrisome.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

DrT, the funny thing is that most of these disclaimers don't hold up in a court of law anymore. The lawyers are more creative and always seem to find a loophole around the acceptance of disclaimers, etc.

To put this into perspective for our non-US friends, I'd like to mention one of the most famous disclaimers we have over here:

At McDonald's restaurants, the styrofoam coffee cups have the following words printed on it: "Caution, contents are hot" (or something like that). This warning was a direct result of McDonald's losing a suit and paying multiple millions to a woman who went to a drive-through window, bought some coffee (the hot kind), placed the coffee between her legs, then proceeded to drive away -- scalding herself in the process. Truly unbelievable that she couldn't take responsibility for such a stupid move! (I'm surprised she didn't sue the car manufacturer for not installing cupholders! )
Old 07-01-2004, 06:56 AM
DrT
Members

Rudy,

That McDonalds case was actually reported on the BBC ! And I'm afraid American litigousness came in for some serious piss-taking over here.

It must drive you guys nuts having to "accept" each morning - shame your dealers can't download UK versions of the i-drive (difficulties/inconsistencies in imperial mpg calculations aside).
Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

It doesn't really drive me nuts anymore -- it's done unconsciously during the startup ritual (close door, start car, fasten seatbelt, move shift lever, release parking brake, slide armrest, press accept, etc.)

To be honest, I can't remember EVER reading the darn thing!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:16 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrT' date='Jul 1 2004, 09:56 AM
That McDonalds case was actually reported on the BBC ! And I'm afraid American litigousness came in for some serious piss-taking over here.
And justifiably so, IMO. I have strained to not join the circus and made a best friend out of a plastic surgeon who whacked the wrong place on my nose for a basal cell removal. After all, it's a big nose and there are lots of places to whack.

Quick Reply: iDrive screen went blank