E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive screen went blank

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I had my first experience with my iDrive screen going blank. I took the car through a carwash (brushless, of course), pulled into a parking spot to touch up the wheels, etc., and then when I re-started the car, no iDrive screen and no access to any features via the cupcake. The system was totally unresponsive.

I drove off, stopped at a traffic light, turned off and restarted the car, no change -- did this several times to no avail. Finally, I parked the car for a few hours, restarted it and everything is A-OK, including all settings. I called the dealership, they said bring it in today, even though it's working today as well, and they would do a diagnostic check. I asked about v12, got a blank stare to go along with the blank screen.

However, they did state that the Apple iPod plug-in would be available for the E60 in about a month -- that in fact it is NOT available for the earlier BMW's and will be available for past AND current models when it actually comes out. Of course, if v12 allows recognition of MP3 files, I don't really need to spend $150-$250 (final price unknown) plus labor to plug in my iPod. A couple of hundred tracks on each of 7 CD's is plenty for me.

They will be switching on my daytime running lights (which they claimed they couldn't do a month ago). A friend of mine just picked up his 5-series and had his switched on -- I was very favorably impressed by the appearance. They look far better than the typical U.S. hey your lights are on version of daytime running lights. Just a couple of sexy bright spots on the front of your car, and don't look at all like you forgot your lights were on.

I offered to wait a couple of hours for them to finish the work, and they said not to because if they had to do any software work, they might need to keep it overnight (what's up with that -- what's faster that upgrading software?) I got an X3 as a loaner -- hate to say it, but compared to an X5 (and even compared to just about any other short wheelbase SUV), it's a wiggly, jiggly I'm getting sick of this piece of crap ride.

I'll let you know the diagnosis tomorrow -- anyone else get service for the one-time only blank screen no iDrive problem?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

I still have this happen on the E85/Z4 if the key has been left in the car too long in the off position... (e.g. like at a car wash)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by billybob2' date='Jun 30 2004, 12:47 PM
Yesterday I had my first experience with my iDrive screen going blank.
Monday, I had just the reverse happen. I had been teaching a class for about four hours with the car locked. I went in and out of the trunk two or three times during some field training toward the end of the session. Then loaded the trunk and got in the car. With the ignition key in my hand, I was staring at a booted up iDrive Accept screen. I went ahead and punched accept and got the menu screen. I then cranked and everything went normal until my second shutdown. I didn't lock for the first shut down, but did remove the keys. I locked for the second shut down. When I returned, everything was normal at first and then the screen went black. She rebooted within seconds. No further mishaps. The really odd thing was the Accept screen with the keys in my hand. Matter of fact, I saw the screen before I ever opened the car door.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

JDN; are you on 11.3 SW?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
JDN
Contributors

I think so, Nick, but not sure. I've got NAV and can't call up the version, but the car was put together in March. Had a 3/05 production date.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 30 2004, 04:32 PM
Had a 3/05 production date.
Impressive!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
JDN
Contributors

Great Bimmers just naturally flock together.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

billybob2,

Any chance of seeing a pic of your car with the daytime running lights on?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 30 2004, 05:34 PM
Great Bimmers just naturally flock together.
JDN, I'm not sure you caught on to why I posted my "impressive" comment.

Keep looking.....
Old 06-30-2004, 04:56 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 30 2004, 07:03 PM
JDN, I'm not sure you caught on to why I posted my "impressive" comment.

Keep looking.....
Ahhhh, 3/05/04, that is. Better?

Quick Reply: iDrive screen went blank