E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive presets vanished!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i w/ Sport Pkg. Black with black Leather. Cold weather pkg. Satellite, xenons. No aftermarket ... yet.

Newbie here ... with a mystery I cannot solve. Last night, I left my car and keys with a valet to park my beloved black-on-black 525i Sport ... scary to be sure, but there were no other parking options available. I returned several hours later to pick up my car ... no scratches, no appreciable addition to the odometer, etc. ... however, upon firing up the satellite radio, I discovered that every single radio preset was gone (SAT, AM, FM) as was the "star and diamond" programming. The iDrive trip screen was still tracking my roundtrip, but it appeared that everything to do with Entertainment was reset.

How could that happen? Better still, how do I protect myself from a reoccurrence? As we all know, that's a tedious job, and I'd rather be driving.

P.S. My iDrive software was updated in August -- in the course of fixing a Dynamic Drive fault -- so it's likely a very recent version.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

This happened to me once before. After shutting the car down for about 15 minutes they all returned. Also I asume you are certain that you used the same key that you always used.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Hey NYC_E60, welcome to the forum!

One way that this could occur is if you used the other key. The presets and other stuff are linked to the key you use and don't duplicate for the other key. Did you use the same key?
Old 10-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Also try doing a reboot of the I-Drive. That helped me today while I was driving I switched from CD to FM and no sound! I did the reboot (hold radio power button by cd drawer and press the eject buttons on both the CD and DVD all at the same time. )
Old 10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

this happened to me twice soon after getting an update in August also. Hasn't happened since.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, nyc_e60 !
Old 10-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i w/ Sport Pkg. Black with black Leather. Cold weather pkg. Satellite, xenons. No aftermarket ... yet.

Yep, same key each time. But Skipper was right ... the next morning, all the presets returned. Go figure! If there is a 'next time', I will try the re-boot procedure to hasten their return.

Mystery solved. Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Glad it worked out for you. It only happened to me once. Hope that's all you get.

No prob about the help. Thats what this board is here for.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, NYC_E60 Name:  00000732.gif
Views: 37
Size:  3.1 KB!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 PM

This can happen when the physical key (ie long metal thingy) is used to PHYSICALLY lock and unlock the car, ie no radio transmission. This happened to me when for some reason my car wouldnt lock using the remote, ( interference, jamming who knows?). I had to lock and unlock the car with teh physical key. When i next used the remote the presets returned. The idrive probably recognises the key from a code when a signal is transmitted. When you use the key, it has no idea which key is being used. Now i wonder if you program the idrive in the physical key mode, wether they will be saved in a seperate category as well?? ;-)

Quick Reply: iDrive presets vanished!