E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013 | 09:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)
Default iDrive Malfunction

Hello fellow owners. Bound to happen sooner or later. My iDrive went out this evening. One second it was all good, the next it stopped - radio, phone, nav, parking control - everything went dark.

The message that popped up on the HUD says "SOS Call System malfunction" and that is it. I pressed the SOS button and someone answered but it was the road assistance people - not the "mechanics" - so anyway, the SOS system worked and I don't know what the heck is going on. Pic attached.

I have just over 43K miles on it. I stopped and restarted it three or four times (as I went about my business) and it is still dead in the water - at least the car brought me back home.

Also, about three or so months ago I lost all power and was able to limp home at 10MPH with what sounded like I was running on one or two cylinders. I made it onto my driveway and the car died. I let it sit and restarted it 20 min later and it was like nothing had happened. The dealership found nothing wrong with it other than misfiring. WTF??

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Especially today's SNAFU with the iDrive?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails iDrive Malfunction-sos-malfunction.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013 | 09:19 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca
Hello fellow owners. Bound to happen sooner or later. My iDrive went out this evening. One second it was all good, the next it stopped - radio, phone, nav, parking control - everything went dark.

The message that popped up on the HUD says "SOS Call System malfunction" and that is it. I pressed the SOS button and someone answered but it was the road assistance people - not the "mechanics" - so anyway, the SOS system worked and I don't know what the heck is going on. Pic attached.

I have just over 43K miles on it. I stopped and restarted it three or four times (as I went about my business) and it is still dead in the water - at least the car brought me back home.

Also, about three or so months ago I lost all power and was able to limp home at 10MPH with what sounded like I was running on one or two cylinders. I made it onto my driveway and the car died. I let it sit and restarted it 20 min later and it was like nothing had happened. The dealership found nothing wrong with it other than misfiring. WTF??

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Especially today's SNAFU with the iDrive?

Thanks all!
did ur idrive come back on
Old 03-05-2013 | 07:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

No, still dead. Screen is black and none of the buttons work - the voice activation, menu, radio, etc., just like yesterday.
Old 03-05-2013 | 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Sounds like you need a new CCC unit, went through that myself in my previous 530. They don't make the CCC unit anymore so the options are: used on eBay, refurb (with warranty) from getbmwparts.com (I did this ~$650), and the last option is to upgrade to CIC NAV (~$3500).
You will need whichever you choose to be coded to your car as well, so budget an extra ~$200 for that. Dealer cost to replace CCC? They quoted me $2800 for CCC, $1400 for TCU (BT module) and another $350 for adding the AUX port. I got all of that done for $1100 at an indy shop.
Old 03-05-2013 | 08:27 AM
New Members

Just made an appt. at Bergman's Auto in Brandon. See what they say - but it won't be until next Thursday.

I'll post results and cost for reference.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013 | 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Hey OP. first, "limp mode" or safe mode doesn't sound like it's running on two cylinders, it just keeps you in 3rd gear. So it will not feel normal until about 30-40-50 MPH.
If you took the car to Reeves and they didn't find anything it's because they didn't look in the right places. They gave your car to some newbie to clear your error memory and watch to see what comes back after a 10 min drive. Probably nothing so they cleared the shadow memory and called it a day.
You do not need to wait for Bergman's auto. If you're thinking there is more than a soft issue, Go to Yarborough German Cars and ask for Mike he will hook it up to OSS to check it out for you.
You did not mention your production date but assuming you have a newer model 2008+ since you have only 43K miles, I would start checking what is equivalent to the MPM on the first E60's.
Old 03-05-2013 | 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You did not mention your production date but assuming you have a newer model 2008+ since you have only 43K miles, I would start checking what is equivalent to the MPM on the first E60's.
I agree with almost everything, except he lists a 2006 550 in his signature - so unless he's like me and having trouble updating his sig (the board won't let me update mine) then he still has the 06 550 with REALLY low miles.
Old 03-05-2013 | 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Oh, i don't even look at signatures. lol. I think 06 does have an MPM right? if so, start there.
Old 03-05-2013 | 07:42 PM
New Members

Thanks guys.

Have not heard of Yarborough German Cars but I'll look them up tomorrow.

About "limp mode" I said I "limped" home. I'll explain tomorrow.

And lastly, yes, my signature is up to date - I have a MY 06 with low mileage.

I'll clarify tomorrow - too late now.
Old 03-05-2013 | 07:52 PM
New Members

Just looked them up - Yarbrough German cars - heck, they're within biking distance of my house.

Can you vouch for them, AchtungE60? Price and quality? I'll pay them a visit tomorrow and see what they're about.

Thanks - get back to y'all tomorrow.

Quick Reply: iDrive Malfunction