E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idrive issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i. Twin Turbo I6, 6 Speed Manual, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Interior with Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim
Thumbs down

I really need help on this one. Since i had my car the idrive freezes from time to time for hours at a time. The time goes into 24hr mode the temp changes to celsius the miles to kilometers and the gallons to liters. I thought it had something to do with the HID fog lights i had put on but it only does it on really rainy days or after a good car wash to on really moist days. I think its got some sort of a short, but it doesn't last long enough for me to take it to the dealership. I already turned it in twice and the first time they told me it was my phone so i had changed my phone second time they said no trouble found and they performed a system reset. WHAT TO DO? Please HELP. Thank you in advance.

Ahmed
Old 09-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I don't have a solution but I just wanted to say I share the same problem. Occasionally, my I-drive will freeze but the longest was for like 10-15 minutes then it just reset on its own... I guess we should contact a BMW dealership?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='675181' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:11 AM
I don't have a solution but I just wanted to say I share the same problem. Occasionally, my I-drive will freeze but the longest was for like 10-15 minutes then it just reset on its own... I guess we should contact a BMW dealership?
The issue is your software and perhaps a failure of the TCU. I had similar issues when my 05 545i was new -- took it back several times for the same thing. They finally replaced the TCU and reprogrammed...no issues since then! Good luck!!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

I just got the same problem atm..... No sound, stereo not working, idrive spins freely, bunch of /// /// at the bottom where time etc is suppose to be... Never happened before... Dealership did replace tcu back a year ago... any thoughts
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by tbal' post='713186' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:51 PM
I just got the same problem atm..... No sound, stereo not working, idrive spins freely, bunch of /// /// at the bottom where time etc is suppose to be... Never happened before... Dealership did replace tcu back a year ago... any thoughts
i have linked this to the delay between the time i unlock the car and the time I open the door. If I do not wait for at least 15 seconds before I open the door, I get the same thing. So, I just unlock the car from further away now.

btw- when it does happen, just do the three-finger salute (both eject buttons and the power) and it will reboot and come right back up.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 90 325i, 97 328i, 06 530i

Originally Posted by sylhety' post='675106' date='Sep 22 2008, 01:32 AM
I really need help on this one. Since i had my car the idrive freezes from time to time for hours at a time. The time goes into 24hr mode the temp changes to celsius the miles to kilometers and the gallons to liters. I thought it had something to do with the HID fog lights i had put on but it only does it on really rainy days or after a good car wash to on really moist days. I think its got some sort of a short, but it doesn't last long enough for me to take it to the dealership. I already turned it in twice and the first time they told me it was my phone so i had changed my phone second time they said no trouble found and they performed a system reset. WHAT TO DO? Please HELP. Thank you in advance.

Ahmed
my $0.02
sounds like a short caused by moisture, liquid. Could water be getting on some connectors and causing this? Where is iDrive module located? I would check and see if it's dry in there.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='713192' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:57 PM
i have linked this to the delay between the time i unlock the car and the time I open the door. If I do not wait for at least 15 seconds before I open the door, I get the same thing. So, I just unlock the car from further away now.

btw- when it does happen, just do the three-finger salute (both eject buttons and the power) and it will reboot and come right back up.
Thanks for the tip! I turned the car off for about 15mins, and everything was back to normal... freakin weird!

eject buttons and power... (power meaning the radio on off?)

thanks again
Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Intermittent problems are of course the hardest to diagnose but take a few photos the next time it freezes.

Or have a conversation with your SA emphasizing that they need to figure out this problem (in theory, if they wash the car, it should happen, no?)

But this doesn't sound like something you can resolve outside of the workshop.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by tbal' post='713268' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tip! I turned the car off for about 15mins, and everything was back to normal... freakin weird!

eject buttons and power... (power meaning the radio on off?)

thanks again
yup. just push in the volume knob and the two eject buttons all at the same time. screen will go blank, and come back up in a few seconds with the BMW splash screen.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributors

sweet, thanks!

However I took your advice, unlocked the car, waited few seconds, start, and everything works, fires up asap! No delays or anything...
intresting!!!!

Quick Reply: idrive issues