E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

I have owned my 2006 530 for about three weeks now. The only issue I have had is that iDrive has crashed twice during the use of navigation. When it crashes, the controller offers no functionality, bluetooth is also non-functional, and steering wheel buttons are non-responsive as well. Usually in about 2 - 3 minutes, the screen turns blank and the system reboots. This has happened two out of the four times I used the navigation system - 50% of the time I try to use it results in a system crash.

I called the dealer today and they want to see if it occurs a "couple" of more times before they have me come in as they want as much data as possible for feedback to BMW for a possible solution. Does this sound right? Any thoughts on this issue?

BTW, does anyone know how to lower the navigation system's voice volume?

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Members

Welcome to the crappy world of i-drive with navigation. It's slow, often unresponsive, and it causes the system to crash occasionally.

Over time, you'll learn NOT to try to re-input your latest command if it doesn't react soon enough. as this will further confuse the already backed up processor of the system. Simply wait it out. Hopefully, no one else is in the car with you wondering why you paid nearly $70K for this.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Members

I have owned my 530i for about 5 weeks now. 2 of the 5 weeks I had to live with a non-functional iDrive. I mean I could even listen to the radio so I was driving without any entertainment. Apparent a lot of 5's with navigation are experiencing this problem and I was two weeks back scheduling an appointment with the dealer. But anyways, after my iDrive crashed the first time it never came back. It just keeps on rebooting and rebooting over and over. Its really disappointing. I suppose the dealer resolved the issue by replacing a brand new "CCC"? Everything is working fine now... and let's hope it stays that way.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by jchuan8338' post='243298' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:07 PM
same way you use to lower the volume of the radio - volume knob or steering wheel buttons
Old 02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jchuan8338' post='243298' date='Feb 20 2006, 04:07 PM
I have owned my 2006 530 for about three weeks now. The only issue I have had is that iDrive has crashed twice during the use of navigation. When it crashes, the controller offers no functionality, bluetooth is also non-functional, and steering wheel buttons are non-responsive as well. Usually in about 2 - 3 minutes, the screen turns blank and the system reboots. This has happened two out of the four times I used the navigation system - 50% of the time I try to use it results in a system crash.

I called the dealer today and they want to see if it occurs a "couple" of more times before they have me come in as they want as much data as possible for feedback to BMW for a possible solution. Does this sound right? Any thoughts on this issue?

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Go with the dealer but I would push them to fix it. Mine nav crashed twice and I took it in. My dealer jumped on the problem and replaced one of the control units and, as they always do, upgraded the software. No problem since.

To adjust the nav voice, turn her down while she's speaking.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by nubi-mer' post='243424' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:47 PM
I have owned my 530i for about 5 weeks now. 2 of the 5 weeks I had to live with a non-functional iDrive. I mean I could even listen to the radio so I was driving without any entertainment. Apparent a lot of 5's with navigation are experiencing this problem and I was two weeks back scheduling an appointment with the dealer. But anyways, after my iDrive crashed the first time it never came back. It just keeps on rebooting and rebooting over and over. Its really disappointing. I suppose the dealer resolved the issue by replacing a brand new "CCC"? Everything is working fine now... and let's hope it stays that way.
My dealer told me yesterday that the way they resolved the on-going i-drive, mp3 & Extended voice control saga was to replace the CCC control unit. This did fix the extended voice control & i-drive is a little quicker (CIP 20.02) but still no mp3 although we think they forgot to tick the box in the CIP 20.02 install for activating mp3 capability.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Members

This issue is disappointing for a car of this caliber! It's really ironic that the media always "beats down" iDrive because they cannot figure out how to work it...and here we are knowledgeable car enthusiasts and iDrive users who know how to work it - but cannot work it because it doesn't work consistently all the time!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Interesting to hear, I had those problems with my early production E60, now my 2006 E60 sep date build i think, i only experience at first slowness in botting up, now since the last idrive upgrade 20.xxx the boot is fast. I do still occassionaly have a slow responses when moving around but at the same time I have the aux running nav and phone at the same time so i could expect some conflict.. so for me my 06 e60 has had no problems with the idrive nor anything major to be serviced.. very happy though
Old 02-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

My iDrive crashed few times, and my iDrive controller used to turn back and force all by itself. After my CIP upgrade, it works fine so far.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Members

I guess I'll force the issue with my local BMW Center and make them perform an update, instead of waiting for it to crash again. Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: iDrive Issue...