5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   IDRIVE Crashed!!! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/idrive-crashed-352/)

BMW525UK 12-27-2003 12:22 PM

Just to let everyone know of the possible dangers of having too complicated a car!

I had a CD changer added to my car 3/7 ago - the dealership told me it would take 2 hrs to do so (but will only charge me for 1 hr's labour) because it's only the 2nd car they've put one in so far......

Unfortunately, adding a CD changer to the new 5 apparently involves 'reprogamming' IDrive to recognise the new bits. In my case, the car's 'computer system' crashed - leaving the car unvulnerable + unsuable (leaving me with the unfortunate luck of braving London's road without SatNav over Xmas).

To be fair, the dealership immediately provided me with a courtesy car (of the same ilk) and a free 'Formula 1 Williams Umbrella'!!!!

Be Warned! :(

zag 12-27-2003 04:10 PM

Argh! this reminds me of MS windows O/S... new hardware detect installation turn south! Did you get a blue screen?
BMW shouldn't let them into the auto world. now where is the Ctrl+ALt+ Del button?

paasan 12-27-2003 04:40 PM

I believe the iDrive on the E60 is based on some Unix-system developed by IBM?

Contrary to the Windows-version for embedded devices found in the E65/66.

-paasan

Guest 12-27-2003 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BMW525UK' date='Dec 27 2003, 03:22 PM
Just to let everyone know of the possible dangers of having too complicated a car!

I had a CD changer added to my car 3/7 ago - the dealership told me it would take 2 hrs to do so (but will only charge me for 1 hr's labour) because it's only the 2nd car they've put one in so far......

Unfortunately, adding a CD changer to the new 5 apparently involves 'reprogamming' IDrive to recognise the new bits. In my case, the car's 'computer system' crashed - leaving the car unvulnerable + unsuable (leaving me with the unfortunate luck of braving London's road without SatNav over Xmas).

To be fair, the dealership immediately provided me with a courtesy car (of the same ilk) and a free 'Formula 1 Williams Umbrella'!!!!

Be Warned! :(

sad git :lol:

katmai 12-27-2003 11:07 PM

I don't know what operating system is the e60's idrive running on, but a car runs better without windows. :)

See the photo.

http://www.tung.nu/downloads/BMW.jpg

jmcaiado 12-28-2003 02:07 AM

Got my 530d (3rd week November production) for a week and a half, did 1008Km.
Not a single problem with iDrive on a full extras E60!
I've got no static in the radio reception.
(Active Cruise Control is a must have)
I've heard that there will be a software upgrade in January, that will give Mp3 compatibility.

Cheers

Kiasu King 12-28-2003 09:30 PM

So far, my idrive ok except that sometimes, it too a bit longer for the screen to come on. idrive is great for the convenience apart from the cool look in imparts to the interior of the car. My children love the idrive as they like to play with the knob. They are more expert than me in handling the idrive menu. :lol:

Kiasu King 12-28-2003 09:30 PM

So far, my idrive ok except that sometimes, it took a bit longer for the screen to come on. idrive is great for the convenience apart from the cool look in imparts to the interior of the car. My children love the idrive as they like to play with the knob. They are more expert than me in handling the idrive menu. :lol:

Guest_BMW525UK 12-29-2003 03:00 PM

Got the car back!!!!

Everything's back to normal

Managed to put 400+ miles on the courtesy car - that'll teach them!

E60-530d-London 01-04-2004 11:47 AM

FYI, I am awaiting the installation of a CD changer that I ordered with the car, but was not fitted on delivery. My car has already visited the dealer twice with no success. First time, they told me that they didn't have the necessary bits, and the second time the story was that the CD changer was "incompatible" with the car's software release level and therefore could not "talk" with it. The solution on offer now is to replace the display unit with one with a higher software release level. Quite why the display screen has anything to do with the CD system baffles me, but having pointed this out to the dealer they have stuck to their guns. I am now awating to hear when this work can be done as the part is back ordered from Germany (apparently, it also fixes the cold weather failure of I-Drive and so is in great demand).

My dealer hasn't mentioned charging for this work and, if they have any sense, they won't bring it up either!