E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idrive crash and restart?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Just took out the car to the films, weathers about 0 degrees outside in London at the moment.

Started the car and the iDrive turned on with the BMW logo, then all of a sudden the screen went off.
Pressed the menu and the idrive (no resistance) incase the screen went off.
No joy so carried on driving, during the journey the iDrive kept on like restarting, the BMW logo would appear and then it would switch off all of a sudden.

Went to watch the film in the hope that it would resovle itself by the time i came back.
2hrs later same problem, drove it home and the iDrive kept on restarting, shows the BMW sign and then the screen goes all blank, then a few mins later the BMW sign would appear and same thing all over.

Any ideas? Does the idrive nto work at certain Temps? or is it a call to teh service department?

Cheers

Paper
Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by papereyes' post='388510' date='Feb 7 2007, 06:34 PM
Hi all

Just took out the car to the films, weathers about 0 degrees outside in London at the moment.

Started the car and the iDrive turned on with the BMW logo, then all of a sudden the screen went off.
Pressed the menu and the idrive (no resistance) incase the screen went off.
No joy so carried on driving, during the journey the iDrive kept on like restarting, the BMW logo would appear and then it would switch off all of a sudden.

Went to watch the film in the hope that it would resovle itself by the time i came back.
2hrs later same problem, drove it home and the iDrive kept on restarting, shows the BMW sign and then the screen goes all blank, then a few mins later the BMW sign would appear and same thing all over.

Any ideas? Does the idrive nto work at certain Temps? or is it a call to teh service department?

Cheers
Paper

Did you try: CTRL....ALT....Delete?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='388515' date='Feb 7 2007, 06:36 PM
Did you try: CTRL....ALT....Delete?
Unfortunately couldn't find it, and the F7 key for spellign didn't work either, as my spelling in my original post was atricious
Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Regardless of whether it resolves itself, it should be looked at by the service dept.

We had a similar problem with one of our cars and an upgrade to Progman 24 resolved it.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Members

My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

Happened same thing to me on last Saturday. When i started the engine only BMW is shown and no iDrive control.
Took it to the dealer and ended up with 2 days of programming. Don't know which version I have now, but it has to me more ugly font.

Did not pay anything since it was under warranty.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by papereyes' post='388510' date='Feb 7 2007, 11:34 PM
[snip]Any ideas? Does the idrive nto work at certain Temps? or is it a call to teh service department?

Cheers
Paper
It's definitely not the temperature. My thermometer was reading -3 yesterday and -5.5 this morning, and everything was working fine. Dealer visit in order, I think.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

This happened to me. The dealership replaced my CCC module. "Control-Alt-Delete" isn't going to fix it.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

A little of everything on this one. I had the symptom, thought it was this:

SI B 84 08 05
Phone, Navigation Systems March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 08 05 dated January 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC - CID Switches Between BMW Banner and Blank Screen

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 Car Communication Computer (CCC)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 Car Communication Computer (CCC)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
The customer may complain that the Central Information Display (CID) switches between the BMW banner and a blank screen (resets). One of the following fault codes is stored:

CID FC "A468 LVDS cable break"

CCC-BO FC "A3E4 fault in file system"

CAUSE
CCC Failure

PROCEDURE 1 (CID FC A468)
On a customer complaint basis, submit a PuMA case to the Electrical Group along with FASTA data.

But turned out a PROGMAN upgrade did the trick with NO CCC replaced. No one answer, but get it to the dealer.

Also for the cold theory we have this:

SI B 84 08 06
Phone, Navigation Systems March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information Bulletin supersedes S.M. B84 240 04 dated December 2004.

SUBJECT
CCC Navigation is Inoperative at Low Ambient Temperatures

MODEL
E60 (5 Series) with SA 609 (CCC Navigation)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

Vehicles produced from June 1, 2004 up to November 30, 2004

SITUATION
The customer states that "Please wait..." appears in the navigation screen and the navigation system is inoperative at ambient temperatures below 37?F.

All other menus (Communication, Entertainment, etc) can be operated using the controller without any problem.

After the electronics unit has warmed up, the Navigation system starts working.

CAUSE
DVD drive failure at low ambient temperatures.

PROCEDURE
Replace the DVD drive as per SI B84 12 04.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

I had this problem today. It was working fine then suddenly screen went blank then the BMW logo came up but stayed there. I restarted the engine but only the BMW sign come up. As I had to go to a meeting I decided to take it to the dealer later. When I came back many hours later, started the car, BMW logo came up and the system works fine again.

I'm gonna wait and see. If it happens again it's going to the dealer.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Hi,

Don't know if this will help, have to tried disconnecting the battery (-) lead for at least 10 minutes.

I think you'll loose the date, time and maybe have to initialise the Active Steering, but it may reboot the system and clean out any gremlins.

Cheerz

Quick Reply: idrive crash and restart?