E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive corrupted characters and now blank screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White , Premium Package, Build Date 07/05. BBBB-BONE STOCK

Hey guys,

I need your help with my 06 530i. This morning when I started the car, the iDrive started doing something funny. It had these weird characters and the language was incomprehensible or missing in many places. I took some pictures of what it said, and it keeps changing every time you move around. I tried shutting off the ignition and retrying but no avail. I drove the car to work, left it there for a good 8 hours, and now when i come back it's completely blank.

I tried searching for the idrive reset procedure, (i.e. hold down the power button and CD eject button), but that didn't work. I don't have navigation by the way so I'm not sure I'm resetting it correctly. This is the first time it has happened. I checked a coupple of fuses (many #34 and #35 which are the radio and the control system, 10amps -- and they are fine). No water leaks in the battery or wheel well area either.

What should I do? I still have CPO, but not sure if it's covered under this.. Probably have to pay the $50 deductible.

I can probably drop the car off this weekend, as I'm going overseas for a week, so it'd be good timing to leave it in service. Let me know, thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails iDrive corrupted characters and now blank screen-snc00122.jpg   iDrive corrupted characters and now blank screen-snc00123.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

It should be covered under CPO. If you get push back, ask the service adviser how you are expected to manipulate the climate control without the iDrive screen working. The answer is "you can't", therefore, it needs to be covered. Same can be said for any of the other functions available only through the iDrive.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by twh
It should be covered under CPO. If you get push back, ask the service adviser how you are expected to manipulate the climate control without the iDrive screen working. The answer is "you can't", therefore, it needs to be covered. Same can be said for any of the other functions available only through the iDrive.

+1 on the warranty, should be covered with no issues. You could always try disconnecting the battery overnight if you dont want to mess with the dealer.

GL
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Like IceyTys said, I'd try disconnecting the battery 1st before making a trip to the dealer. And it should be covered under CPO.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White , Premium Package, Build Date 07/05. BBBB-BONE STOCK

Hi all,

update. It seems you three are saying it's covered by CPO, my service advisor said it wasn't. Here's the section quoted from the CPO website, and the CPO warranty dept. declined:

Not Covered: Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories

Since I-drive is a component of the radio, telephone, cd, etc. it's not covered. It controls those systems, therefore, it is a component of those systems.

I'm not happy as the advisor tried to get me on some other recommended fluid services I did not come for (which were declined in the past) so that he could just 'do me a favor' and include the replacement cost of the i-drive in there free since it's not covered. The service would end up costing me 1/3 of the i-drive, vs. the 2k i-drive by itself. On the surface, it sounds like a good deal, but these are maintenance items which I may or may not need. I shouldn't feel like there's strings attached to getting my car repaired for something I initially came in for (even if it is "cheaper" for the option recommended) -- I was expecting $50 for the deductible and that was it.

Any advice? I am going to write to BMWNA.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Wow! That's some total BS. I would be pissed. Like the other poster says, how are you going to check on other parts of the car like checking on fluid levels and brake maintenance? While it's true, it is part of the entertainment system, it's also part of the health and monitoring of the car itself.

Then try this, tell them to at least fix the part so that you can navigate the service menu and climate controls.

Balbs
Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Wow! That's some total BS. I would be pissed. Like the other poster says, how are you going to check on other parts of the car like checking on fluid levels and brake maintenance? While it's true, it is part of the entertainment system, it's also part of the health and monitoring of the car itself.

Then try this, tell them to at least fix the part so that you can navigate the service menu and climate controls.

Balbs
I think I've finished explaining and going in circles with this service advisor. I am ready to go to the next step. Please advise the best method. BMWNA email or call?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

I don't have any experience with BMWNA (I guess hopefully never), but I would do both. Good Luck!! I hope you get this worked out in your favor.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by mirage21
I think I've finished explaining and going in circles with this service advisor. I am ready to go to the next step. Please advise the best method. BMWNA email or call?
Before getting into a big hissyfit about it... Try pulling power from the car for an hour or so.

einstellungen is "preferences" or "settings" so it looks like something in the iDrive reset to German.

It might be that the current flash image of the iDrive is corrupt. This could be resettable by removing power from the battery to the car. simply pull the NEGative battery terminal off. Wait an 30 min to an hour. Reconnect.

If that doesn't work. See if the SA would be willing to perform a CIP update. This is just a firmware (software) issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by mirage21
Same thing happened to another member. Perhaps you can find it with searching. But, that member pointed out that the heating and a/c system didn't work right unless the screen worked. That pushed it from not covered to covered. Look at all the items in iDrive that aren't the ones you have only in iDrive. Get the mnanual. Here are some that come to mind:

checking oil level !!!!! - you can't do that task without the screen, isn't the enough??
various heating and a/c things
heated seat control if you have comfort seats
all the various CBS (condition based service) indicators (brakes, etc.)
changing the door locking and unlocking things
changing the triple turn signal setting
changing the entry/exit lighting setting
etc
etc
etc

Bring the list to the guy and tell him these don't work. Ask him to fix these without fixing the parts that aren't covered.

Quick Reply: iDrive corrupted characters and now blank screen