E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive controller feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Silver/Black, Sport, Premium, L7, Cold

Originally Posted by Rob' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:49 PM
I believe the "force feedback" feature is only on cars with Nav.

I have Nav and have this. When I drove a 530 loaner car without nav, the wheel just spun freely even when there were no other options to spin to.
[snapback]75143[/snapback]

Well, thanks guys.

Learning something new every day.

So two things I'm missing without the Nav option (other than integrated into iDrive):
1. Voice Recognition for dialing phonebook entries (without "teaching")
2. Feedback on iDrive controller

I wonder what else...

It's the little things that count!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:22 PM
but like you said hold it for a couple seconds... I don't got that kinda time!!!?
I dunno to me the 7 is just alot easier... jsut push once and boom!! I have gotten so used to hitting the menu button now seems a little quicker then holding it
[snapback]75165[/snapback]
Actually it's not faster with the menu button, it's faster the other way. It takes you right back to the last screen you used in that sub menu.
Let's say you want to display the map, what you have had on the display before, but you are in the FM menu, since you just switched radio stations. Holding the idrive knob to the right brings back the map after three seconds. The other way is longer... You hit menu, you push the controller to the right, after a second nav appears, you push the controller down three times and then push it down... a waaaay longer process...
Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by kt8509' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:13 PM
[quote name='Rob' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:49 PM']I believe the "force feedback" feature is only on cars with Nav.

I have Nav and have this. When I drove a 530 loaner car without nav, the wheel just spun freely even when there were no other options to spin to.

Well, thanks guys.

So two things I'm missing without the Nav option (other than integrated into iDrive):

I wonder what else...

[snapback]75212[/snapback]
[/quote]

I KNOW! Now I find out!... Shoot... now the price of NAV doesnt seem all that bad!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 3 2005, 06:57 PM
[quote name='Hamann5' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:22 PM']but like you said hold it for a couple seconds... I don't got that kinda time!!!?
I dunno to me the 7 is just alot easier... jsut push once and boom!! I have gotten so used to hitting the menu button now seems a little quicker then holding it
[snapback]75165[/snapback]
Actually it's not faster with the menu button, it's faster the other way. It takes you right back to the last screen you used in that sub menu.
Let's say you want to display the map, what you have had on the display before, but you are in the FM menu, since you just switched radio stations. Holding the idrive knob to the right brings back the map after three seconds. The other way is longer... You hit menu, you push the controller to the right, after a second nav appears, you push the controller down three times and then push it down... a waaaay longer process...
[snapback]75231[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is exactly why I love this board. I was told this within the first week of ownership and always use the i drive knob to switch from entertainment to nav or communication.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by kt8509' date='Jan 3 2005, 05:13 PM
[quote name='Rob' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:49 PM']I believe the "force feedback" feature is only on cars with Nav.

Well, thanks guys.

I wonder what else...

[snapback]75212[/snapback]
[/quote]

I bought NAV mainly because of my ED trip. The extra money was well worth it just for the two weeks in 3 strange countrys. I often wondered how much I would use it back home where I know my way around. Well the answer is "ALL the Time"

1) A biigger screen with split screen capabilities.

2) The Onboard Info that is provided especially the estimated time of arrival to your destination and the the miles to go justify using the system even when you know your way.

3) Then the quick and invaluable re-route when you miss an exit or a merging Ramp.

4)Finally the ability to see your location on a Map.

5) Information. Find the nearest Macdonalds or Walgreens. And then call them. A great combo of in integrated phone and navigation.

These are all reasons I use NAV even when I know where I am going.

And I haven't been to mapquest since I got this car. Rudy provided a great tip on entering addresses. Go to the end of the alphabet and type in the zip code. This saves a lot of time when entering an address.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I agree, I think Nav is a great option. I find that I use voice control for all of the functions, I rarely have to use the I drive knob, and I keep both hands on the steering wheel. I drive works perfectly with voice control and makes jumping from menu to menu a lot easier. They should have made voice control standard without Nav.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Jan 4 2005, 12:11 AM
They should have made voice control standard without Nav.
[snapback]75383[/snapback]
YA...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

CCC is required for the voice command, that's why it's only available with nav pro (nav in the USA is nav pro), because the CCC comes with the nav pro.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 4 2005, 07:26 PM
CCC is required for the voice command, that's why it's only available with nav pro (nav in the USA is nav pro), because the CCC comes with the nav pro.
[snapback]75756[/snapback]
Then CCC should be standard in such an expensive car.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 5 2005, 04:39 AM
Then CCC should be standard in such an expensive car.?
[snapback]75764[/snapback]
As well as MP3 and DVD...

Quick Reply: iDrive controller feedback?