E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Catostrophic Failure (CCC module) - Explained

Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by txag_530i
You can buy a used CCC from eBay or the classified ads on this site and install it in your car. Use NCS Expert to code the CCC to the options (or Vehicle Order) of your car. It works just fine, there's no need to change the VIN. The NCS Expert software and cable can be had for about $120 on eBay.

If you don't want to buy the software and cable then find someone local to do the coding for you.

You shouldn't presume that the CCCs on eBay come from flooded cars. Some of the E60 models are 10-years old and have been sold for scrap, or the owner's have upgraded to the CIC. My CCC came out of a 2006 M5, which is the same model year as my 530i. I got the whole system (screen, controller and CCC) from the classifieds for about $400. I sold my M-ASK components for $300, so it cost me $100 for the upgrade (not including the cost of the software package that I already had).
I assume your car already had CCC iDrive? if so, what did you have to change in the VO to get your replacement CCC to function? just curious
Old 04-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by KyleB
I assume your car already had CCC iDrive? if so, what did you have to change in the VO to get your replacement CCC to function? just curious
He says he started from mask, if that was with (business) nav his VO would have option 606 in it. With no nav there would be nothing relevant to the idrive in the VO. He would either have had to remove 606 and add 609 to the VO and just run a default code on all 5 modules related to the CCC, or just straight up add 609 and code the 5 modules if it was the latter case.

Anyone simply swapping out and old for new CCC doesnt need to edit the VO, just a straight forward default code would do it.

The majority of CCC fail through over heating as they're poorly cooled. Mine failed in the same way and there's every chance a second hand CCC is going to do the same, hence the decision to fit the 2014 idrive
Old 04-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Members

Big Chaze,

I'm glad you were able to use my detailed information in this thread.

As an update, the "donor" equipment has held up fine for a year now... although my voice control button no longer does anything (probably installer error), oh well, decided to live with it.

I tried hard to document this somewhat uncommon failure, in case anyone else faces the same issue (I don't envy them!)

Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Big Chaze
After countless hours searching the web I finally find someone who had the same identical symptoms as I do. Exactly the same. Althouhg my battery hasnt drained since its new, I was worried about the same thing. I did notice when I pulled a fuse out of the glove box the fans stopped working so I guess ill do that now until I figure out what to purchase with regards to a ccc. smh. Thanks for the info bud.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:16 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 07 E60 525i

Originally Posted by DavaiLave
Just in case anyone has this issue in the future, I will share my experience:

I have a 2004 BMW E60 with "Professional Navigation", and one day when starting the car in the morning my iDrive told me that the battery had experienced a high drain overnight, but the car still started, and iDrive still worked. I went about my business.

The next day, I started the car in the morning and the iDrive was entirely dead. The screen didn't display anything, and the iDrive controller would spin freely. The DVD and CD eject buttons did not function. However, I noticed that there was a noticeable sound coming from the CD/DVD drives (sounded like a fan running), and the DVD/CD console lights would always stay on. I would also get the yellow SOS Error display icon on the speedometer.

The CD/DVD fan would run 100% of the time, and the lights around it would stay on 100% of the time, even when the engine was off and the car was locked. This, I assumed, was causing my battery to drain. I am attaching a picture of what it looks like when this issue happens (picture was taken when all lights were set to "off" and car was supposed to be "sleeping" with the doors locked... but clearly wasn't). (I also checked the IBS, Intelligent Battery Sensor, as outlined in many threads, in the trunk by the battery, and tried to unplug it, thinking that was the root cause of the drain, but it didn't make a difference.

I did not try unplugging the actual battery temporarily, because I was worried about the ramifications of something going wrong, and possibly being unable to start the engine afterwards). I also checked the trunk for water or condensation, even under the spare tire, but found no water or issues there (common known issue which can fry electronics in an E60). Thus, I knew it wasn't water seeping into the trunk causing the issue.

I took the car to a BMW dealer (here in the States), and for $100 they diagnosed the issue (I feel this is fair pricing for diagnostics at the dealer which require specialized computer equipment). They said my CCC had a catastrophic failure, and had to be replaced (car is over 10 years old, obviously no warranty). They quoted $1,400 parts and labor to install and program a refurbished/certified CCC unit.

Obviously, I wasn't going to pay $1,400 to repair the iDrive on a 10+ year old car at the dealer. They quoted the CCC alone at $1,456 minus $500 refund if I returned the old unit (total CCC price around $950). The programming was quoted at $280, and the rest was "labor", tearing apart the dash and reassembling it. That's how is came to $1,400. The BMW part number for the CCC was given as 65-83-9-123-088.

The trouble was that every moment the car sat parked, the battery would be drained by the constant spinning of the fan and the lights, which wouldn't turn off under any circumstances (even when car was locked). The CCC was keeping the car from "sleeping", it seems. This is a huge problem, since BMW batteries are expensive and must be programed to the car.

I felt like I was sitting on a ticking timebomb, which could discharge the battery at any time, and thus leaving me stranded.

I needed to "stop the bleeding," otherwise the battery would be dead in a matter of a few days if parked. The dealer offered to disable the CCC for another $140 on top of the $100 diagnostics fee, saying they would tear apart the dash and physically unplug the CCC unit. This would stop the bleeding, and I could salvage my battery, while of course not gaining any functionality because the iDrive would remain dead.

In the end, to stop the bleeding, I simply pulled out fuse number 34 in the glove compartment (easy to access). This stopped the CCC from constantly spinning/running the fan, and the console lights (LEDs) turned off, thus (I hope) saving my battery from draining while parked.

So far, it doesn't look like any other functionality has been affected (best I can tell). The rest of the dash and climate controls light up and seem to work as normal. However, I no longer get the seat belt "prong" (sound), and the open door sounds (prongs) are gone too. Of course, steering where buttons/controls are also inoperable, but that's expected. Overall, not a terrible situation, given the situation. At least the car drives fine and doesn't seem to throw any other errors.

I am now in the market for a used CCC, it seems they go for around $500 online, but I assume many come from flooded cars, which has its own inherent risk. It would also need to be programmed to the car, and it's uncertain if a BMW dealer will program a pre-owned CCC unit to a customer's car, since it didn't come from their "official source".

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the BMW driving experience without the pesky iDrive, music, and navigation. It's a bit lonely in there, but at least (I think) my battery isn't draining while I look for a used CCC.

I hope this helps someone out there. If anyone knows any good sources for legitmate CCC units, please let me know. Thanks.
Did you ever get a replacement, or decided to go with retrofit? As for me, experienced the exact same symptoms. However, dealer wanted $2,600 for new unit. They didn't mention refurbished unit. I will be calling them today to inquire if they can provide a refurbished unit coded to my car and I will install it myself.