E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

I'm just interessted how often do you use your iDrive.

And how much do you like it? I must admitt, sometimes I'm a bit swamped with the huge number of funktions. What do you think?

So far, tweety
Old 09-01-2004, 12:55 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by tweety' date='Sep 1 2004, 04:44 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm just interessted how often do you use your iDrive.

And how much do you like it? I must admitt, sometimes I'm a bit swamped with the huge number of funktions. What do you think?

So far, tweety
where i live, bluetooth and NAV is no available yet so far i seldom touch it other than hitting the button to clear the warning message!

as matter of fact, once you know all the functions in the simplified i-drive for the e60 that you can customise vehicle settings to your taste. i-drive is pretty simple and i wish they have more function to play with.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Contributors

I use it almost everyday. I can't sit there and look at the main menu all the time. I have to mess around sometimes and see if I found something new to me.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I am using it so often that my wife gets nervous.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

before i got my E60, people said that its very comlicated. But relly it isnt at all. I have quite a few options like nav and its still pretty simple.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first, I read all complaints from car journalist, and I thought i-Drive is a stupid idea until I have it and use it for some time. Frankly to say, there are pros and cons regarding i-Drive:

Pros:
- New cool technology. If you can use iPod, i-Drive is just the same. Once you know how to use it, it's just a snap. Very simple
- Save hardware and cost effective to manufacturer
- Function update is easy, just update the software
- Graphic user interface
- One knob is good enough
- Manufacturer can turn on function by reprogram software such as enable playing MP3

Cons:
- Software ALWAYS has bug, no matter what. This is the main problem. On the computer, if the software crash, we can restart the machine and nothing risk your life. However, if you're driving and the software crash, your drivability is jeopadized. For example, some earlier models of E65 had software problem and the car couldn't be driven.
- The more complicated software (more function), the chance to get crash increases.
- SOME conservative people does not like new techie like those car journalists who use this for a couple of times.
- Radio function AM/FM/CD should be buttons
Old 09-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

I use it every day as well. On occasion I use voice commands instead. Just depends on which is easier for me. If I am on a map facing north and my entertainment was previously in FM mode, it is easier to just say CD to get to the CD, however on other occasions I will just use the i-drive such as when I am in fm mode and want to change the channel it is easier in my opinion to just turn the dial to the freq I want then to say it.

But things are relative. The computer was a huge, cumbersome machine for many that thought that a typewriter or a pad and pencil or even in a law firm i know, they use a dictaphone to dictate memos rather then email or typing themselves.

A matter of choice. You would prob find that younger people would fine the i-drive easier and logical where as someone more senior that hasn't grown up in the technology age will not see the point in it.

Matter of preference.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Contributors

I too use it daily. I test myself sometimes, to see how long I can go without touching it...and it's almost impossible... Either to chang a station, navigation for a jobsite, or setting the climate control for air circulation prior to going to lunch or prior to going home on a hot So. Calif. day! I dont' consider myself a techy at all but found it quite easy! I haven't yet had a chance to memorize a lot of the voice commands...that's next!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:21 AM
JDN
Contributors

OTOH, just start driving one day without audio to a known destination. I find that under those conditions, I can drive without ever touching iDrive.

But, I miss my toys when I do that.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I use i-drive all the time. I wanted a change from the conventional dash board with all the knobs and buttons. Since I am a techie, I always like new technology and somethng else to dissect and play with. I also want the E60 i-drive to have more features but, the more options, the more bugs the more crashes. I know this all to well.

The dial makes it easier for my wife to change the radio stations, instead of hitting the individual presets in my previous car.

Quick Reply: iDrive