E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idler Pulley snapped off Piece of engine block

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xi E60
Default Idler Pulley snapped off Piece of engine block

Basically one of the idler pulleys ended up snapping a piece of the engine block itself off and yes the engine bay is disgusting had 2 unlucky runs with the OFHG leaking everywhere and was gonna do a nice cleaning when doing the belts and pulleys if im even able to get them done)

Ive been searching all over most of the threads talked about Bolts stuck in the block not a piece of the block itself tho after searching non stop and asking a few people i came across a few things.

1. someone mentions jb weld steel stick putty( clean and make the area abressive around etc,etc)
Tho im not to sure how it would hold up with the pressure being exerted.
2. insert a longer rod and secure it in the block and use a nut to get the pulley attacked to the rod.
3. A friend mentioned bypassing the pulley and getting a shorter belt and get a grooved tensioner pulley
4. Weld it back on(The absolute last resort)

Im trying to get everyones opinion or maybe someone whos had a similar issue chime in with their 2 cents

Ive also seen 2 ways that the belt is routed and was wondering if there was a difference between the 2 since then i could change the force from the break
Engine is a N54

It would be pulley #5

Update 7-25:
Took the fan,tensioner and the other idler out cleaned it up just a lil and got some closer pictures.
If i screw the bolt it all the way it has a bit of a bite but just enough to keep the bolt steady i doubt theres any strength at all

While cleaning up the area more i noticed the AC compressor pulley looks like it failed as well.

Update 7-26:
cleaned up a bit more and checked the The Front main seal to see if the strands got into the engine, luckily even tho there was a lil belt in there nothing seemed to pierced though.
AC compressor pulley Is shot as well,tho it looks like im going to have to take the whole thing out and replace it with a new one or change the pulley out

Last edited by Dabblelabs; 07-26-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Not sure if that top pic screw is the idler pulley bolt.

If it is, remove it and ask a welder if the broken part can be reattached.

Need to know what year and engine type it is. Note that parts of the N52 block are magnesium alloy. Not at all clear if this is one of them, but a good welder would know whether it can be done.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi E60

Originally Posted by banglenot
Not sure if that top pic screw is the idler pulley bolt.

If it is, remove it and ask a welder if the broken part can be reattached.

Need to know what year and engine type it is. Note that parts of the N52 block are magnesium alloy. Not at all clear if this is one of them, but a good welder would know whether it can be done.
From realOEM Vin
Its saying Dec 07 production and N54 Engine

As far as taking it out I believe since its the engine block itself so im assuming means dropping the engine?
Idk how much room is really needed to weld something

When the weather clears over here im taking out the fan and make some room to clean things up and also have a better view of everything

Last edited by Dabblelabs; 07-24-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:46 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: 535i

Were you able to find a fix? Or did you end up dropping the engine? I literally had this same exact thing happen where ac pulley failed and took out idler pulley along with a chunk of the threads