E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idle speed hunting and now check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008
Default idle speed hunting and now check engine light

a month and a half ago, the 535 was brought in for the transmission leak at the mechatronic seal. After repairing, all seemed well until engine light went on... brought it in again and after paying for the diag. fee, they said nothing was wrong and cleared the light. 29 days later, the engine light is on again. During those 29 days, the engine idle seems to hunt at cold start and when engaging R, the car bucks to the change in idle speed. Once warm, it idles normal until the next time you turn it on again. I read that this could be the transmission fluid being low and needs to be checked. Could the two issues be related? or is it a miss from the plugs/coils or some cold start issue?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Members

Just found SI B13 04 09 describing my idle at cold start along with check engine light. Not sure what the check / repair items are, as the details are not spelled out. May be another appointment to the dealers. Any one with a All Data account?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Nell if you don't have a code reader go to auto zone or advance and they can read it for you. Once you have the vide you can google and see what info it says. Also if you list what car you have in your signature text or at a minimum in the post you might get more responses. There could be several things causing you thus problem.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 535i

Without any specifics about what codes and what not, sounds like you are due for injectors. Call and see if bmw has a campaign on your car to do them for free. This is also what the service bulletin you remarked says to do. I have done many in my shop. Depending on your specific situations and the year of your car, usually the recommendation is to do all 6.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tyler Kummer
Without any specifics about what codes and what not, sounds like you are due for injectors. Call and see if bmw has a campaign on your car to do them for free. This is also what the service bulletin you remarked says to do. I have done many in my shop. Depending on your specific situations and the year of your car, usually the recommendation is to do all 6.
I ordered a code reader but it would not arrive for a few more days. I was planning on going to Autozone to see what code it would pull. I got a quick appointment from the shop, for once, and took her in. A few hours later, I was told all six injectors were being replaced. Two were bad and they will let it sit to retest the cold start idle situation... I did give them the SIB number, so not sure if I did the diag. work for them... will find out monday.
You called it spot on... the SIB just read too perfectly to fit my car... but I don't have access to the full details, so didnt know what was involved. thought it was injectors due to the direct injection design or the coils going bad. Not sure why it would run ok once warmed out though.
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 535i

Yeah, it's really common. Just be sure to call your bmw dealer to see if there is a free campaign to fix your car. Some are covered, some are not. I was told the injector issues are multi faceted, carbon build up problems, the United states having more dirty fuel, and tolerance issues inside the injectors. Either way, if you need all six it is because you have the old design injectors and the new ones will be the updated design. Also be sure the shop knows / has the equipment to program in the new injector calibration codes. Good luck man.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Members

Picked up the car and she runs great. Throttle response and power seems nicely improved. They replaced six injectors and plugs too. Plugs were replaced two months ago and they said they were totally wet due to injectors dumping fuel inside the cylinders. Wonder what my oil looks like if fuel was going everywhere...
so far, so good.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Spot on analysis.