E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idle Problem (again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After dealing with the stealers for couple of days I decided that forums know better anyway ! Couple of weeks ago I bought an '04 545i 40000 mls, and hence the title it has an idle problem, not just when its cold, always! As the car is parked or at the light the rpm's slightly go up and down continuously, and sometimes a little more, even that you can feel a slight shiver...
Dealer reprogrammed the car and "re-learned" its valvetronics(I believe) WHY? and charged me since CPO does not cover this??!! However it didn't do anything ! Now they want to clean its injectors etc. and told me that that also isn't covered by the warranty and it is regular maintenance!!

At this point I just did not want to deal with them anymore and their speculations so I took my car! What do you guys think I should do, and what is the problem? SHould I clean injectors or the top end as they called it?? How can I do it myself? What else could be the problem? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by europower' post='779253' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:40 AM
After dealing with the stealers for couple of days I decided that forums know better anyway ! Couple of weeks ago I bought an '04 545i 40000 mls, and hence the title it has an idle problem, not just when its cold, always! As the car is parked or at the light the rpm's slightly go up and down continuously, and sometimes a little more, even that you can feel a slight shiver...
Dealer reprogrammed the car and "re-learned" its valvetronics(I believe) WHY? and charged me since CPO does not cover this??!! However it didn't do anything ! Now they want to clean its injectors etc. and told me that that also isn't covered by the warranty and it is regular maintenance!!

At this point I just did not want to deal with them anymore and their speculations so I took my car! What do you guys think I should do, and what is the problem? SHould I clean injectors or the top end as they called it?? How can I do it myself? What else could be the problem? Thanks!
im having the same problem, no pattern to the vibration, just a hum or shiver when the rpms go to about 500 right? i cleaned injectors with some gas additive from bmw, no help. i brought the car in a week ago they changed the cam sensors, no help. i have a diagnostic tool that told me it was an idle motor so when i go back to the stealer im suggest checking the idle. no performace issue and it goes away once i tap the pedal but it annoying at red lights and when the car is in park. ill let you know how it goes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='779306' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:15 AM
im having the same problem, no pattern to the vibration, just a hum or shiver when the rpms go to about 500 right? i cleaned injectors with some gas additive from bmw, no help. i brought the car in a week ago they changed the cam sensors, no help. i have a diagnostic tool that told me it was an idle motor so when i go back to the stealer im suggest checking the idle. no performace issue and it goes away once i tap the pedal but it annoying at red lights and when the car is in park. ill let you know how it goes
Yep, sounds about right! What additive did you use(I want to try it anyway)...? So far from my research I think it could be dirty intake valves, or more likely a faulty ignition coil... Let me know!!! Thanks....
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Have you cleaned the MAF yet? Start with the easy stuff
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='779332' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:20 PM
Have you cleaned the MAF yet? Start with the easy stuff
I was going to, but what tool do I need to take it off?? On my e46 M3 it was a 6 star torx on this one its five... Where can I buy that??
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

If it was any other older beema I would say idle control valve, did one on my old E34 525i sport...........
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='779365' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:05 PM
If it was any other older beema I would say idle control valve, did one on my old E34 525i sport...........
I'm no mechanic, but the problem maybe simply be fixed just by replacing the spark plugs. I've had that problem with a 325is once. It only had 20000 mls. Where did you buy the car from? What's the history? DIY the plugs. You might get lucky like I did and avoid costly/unneccessary repairs by the dealer. STEVE
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by europower' post='779340' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:29 AM
I was going to, but what tool do I need to take it off?? On my e46 M3 it was a 6 star torx on this one its five... Where can I buy that??
I just used a standard "torx" bit, don't remember the size....but there are 2 of them holding the maf to the housing. Unscrew these, remove the plug connector and the maf will slide right out
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

its most likely carbon build up in the throttle body and intake. they sell those cleaners @ auto parts store.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Agree with the spark plugs - how many miles do you have on your car??? I had this exact same problem - changing the sparks out [not covered by CPO] completely solved the problem! Good luck to you...there was never a diagnostic test at BMW that confirmed this so it's a bit of a crapshoot BUT...this would be a good place to start if your nearing or over 50K miles in any case...

Quick Reply: Idle Problem (again)