E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was wrong about diesel - awesome 530d M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: W211 E350 sport
Default I was wrong about diesel - awesome 530d M Sport

Recently bought an E60 2009 530d M Sport Business Edition in space grey and with the desirable 19" spyders. I've previously obsessed about having a petrol engined 5 with a manual box, rarer than hens teeth. I've thought negatively about diesel performance by comparison and obsessed about swirl flaps, DPFs, turbos going pop and injectors giving up the ghost blah blah blah

Then a neighbour with a diesel Benz whose has had it for about 5 years told me that he'd no trouble with it, passed all its Mots with no advisories and i opened myself up to the 530d market, instantly giving myself much greater choice than trying to find a 530i.

I test drove a few before landing on this gem. It is was one test drive in particular where I was blown away by the performance, I remember thinking I've got to get one of these, just not this particular one. Must have been a good test drive because I was apparently gone for 45 mins and the garage said they were on the verge of reporting it stolen (well they did say give it a good test drive, we want you to make sure you're happy with it).

So to cut a long ramble short, just as diesels have become public enemy number one, I smile every time i press the loud pedal. Yes there's lag but the dramatic take off is entertaining in its own way. I'm loving the m sport suspension - I've previously compromised by foolishly buying an m sport lookylikey only to regret it badly. That one was a 520d manual, utterly reliable, never sipped any oil but a world apart from the 3 litre straight six - it's the natural balance of the six which makes all the difference.

Yes my 530d doesn't sing as sweetly as a petrol six but it has its own character, a deeper base growl.

And the funny thing about the E60 was that whilst it was a bit in the ugly side in SE form, it was transformed into a handsome beast when in m sport guise - funny that.

Other highlights of my particular one is the pro sat nav - seems the same as the one in the F10 and features wide screen map (I don't like using the split screen).

I would end this ramble on the following thought - I was about to a buy an F10 at Easter and regretted bitterly when i let someone else nab it but not now. There's much to be said about getting a 5 right at the end of its production run, especially if it's a special edition like my one is. Yes, I will most certainly be getting the F10 in due course but like this one but it will be from right at the end of its run. Hopefully I'll get many more years of joy from this one before then, now what's that I was reading about remapping...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

They are good - I agree.

Just keep an eye on the thermostats and the glow plugs to avoid DPF issues - if that's even possible.

Cheers,
Old 08-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by BMnotMB
Yes, I will most certainly be getting the F10 in due course but like this one but it will be from right at the end of its run..
F10 is pretty much meh, I'd keep what you have and go right to the G30 when the time is right.

post some pics when you can.