E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I will give $1000 to the first person...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint
Question

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:37 PM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:09 PM']that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

May God curse all product litigation/personal injury lawyers? for this thorn in my side.

Any takers?
[snapback]149500[/snapback]

Bring your car down to Mexico and bribe a BMW dealer technician with $500 to drop the non-US code down to the car computer.
I'd guess 500 bucks goes further down there.

You can split what you save so u can write a cheque out for $250 made payable to Irisheyes.

[snapback]149543[/snapback]
[/quote]

too funny the log on issue gets solved but now the car is talking to him in Spanish
Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

I just have a routine when I get into the car, and I don't even look at the knob or the screen. Hand goes to the Idrive knob, press, pull, press and I'm in the audio mode.

Then I'll look at the screen if I want to change to a CD or Sat radio. It's just not a problem if you make it part of your routine. You don't even have to think about it after a while. Try it - much better than being frustrated all the time.

I do agree with you in principle though - I've removed all the warning labels from my car. I'll chip in a few hundred into the pot if somebody does figure out a fix...
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Contributors

I agree with making it part of the routine........I have done this with the "sport" button on the SMG gearbox. Start car.......push "sport" button.......put it in gear. I don't even notice I'm doing it, it's all automatic. HOWEVER, pushing the iDrive knob to get rid of the accept screen does not work the same way for me because it takes AT LEAST 15 seconds for the BMW boot up screen to go away and the accept screen to appear, and at least another 5 seconds for the accept screen to be ready to accept the iDrive button push.

So the routine would have to be start car......push "sport" button.........put it in gear.....wait 15 to 20 seconds......and finally push the iDrive button to get rid of the accept screen. Most of the time I want to drive off as soon as the car is in gear, but I have to wait about 15 seconds at the very least before I can do that. I use the PDC A LOT, and most of the time I need to use it right after the car is first started. If I don't wait the 15 or 20 seconds after start up the PDC is greatly crippled because the BMW boot up screen and/or the accept screen will not let the PDC pictogram appear on the screen.

So maybe I should re-phrase my problem. I don't like the accept screen for the principle of it (the fact that too many lawyers and law suits are making things like this happen). However, in practice I guess it's the delay before the computer will accept the iDrive push and get rid of the accept screen that I have an issue with. I think the delay is not there with non NAV PRO cars, so making it part of the routine is not a big deal......I would not have a problem with that. It's the long delay in the NAV PRO CCC cars that is the biggest problem.

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Jul 17 2005, 07:36 AM
I just have a routine when I get into the car, and I don't even look at the knob or the screen.? Hand goes to the Idrive knob, press, pull, press and I'm in the audio mode.?

Then I'll look at the screen if I want to change to a CD or Sat radio.? It's just not a problem if you make it part of your routine.? You don't even have to think about it after a while.? Try it - much better than being frustrated all the time.

I do agree with you in principle though - I've removed all the warning labels from my car.? I'll chip in a few hundred into the pot if somebody does figure out a fix...
[snapback]150006[/snapback]
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Maybe BMW should change the priority of the message or let it time out after 30 seconds or so with a setting in iDrive.

Or let the legal message display as normal but if any other on-board system (such as PDC) needs the screen, let it take over and when that requirement is finished, display the legal message again until the iKnob is pressed.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I will take a look at how to bypass it. I think getting source code will be next to impossible....but with the system being Windows CE based, the possibility of a start-up script exists. I have a pass-through so there MIGHT be a way. If the BMW engineers have locked down the iDrive very thoroughly then there will be no way to do it. I have several software engineers at my disposal to help. One thing that would be helpful....if someone has the current CIP on CD. I know that the software is sent from the CIP server in Gemany directly into the cars but they also can use a CD if they are having difficulty using the online method.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Face-lifted E46 Toruing, soon to be replaced by E60!

Just out of curiousity, as I'm in Europe, what does this screen look like - anyone with a pic?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Members

Guys,

I have a way to bypass the screen. I will email the patch after receiving a paypal transfer of $1000 to pabloreiterATmindspring.com.

Thanks

Pablo
Old 07-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Members

Guys,

I have a way to bypass the screen. I will email the patch after receiving a paypal transfer of $1000 to pabloreiterATmindspring.com.

Thanks

Pablo
Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:09 AM
Guys,

Thanks

Pablo
[snapback]150299[/snapback]
OK, I was speaking metaphorically about the $1000 . What I meant is you would have the appreciation of the whole internet if you actually had a solution.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Ok Ok Lets get this straight while we are all on the Lawyer bashing game....It's PLAINTIFF"S product law liability and Personal injury Lawyers and in the US more specifically ATLA. (American Trial Lawyers Association) (I guess us "Defense" guys aren't Trial lawyers although these plaintiffs have to be trying case against somebody!) I am a DEFENSE Trial lawyer! I hate frivoulous ambulance chasing plaintiff's lawyers! But that being said it's not the Lawyers making the decisions! IT's the idiots on the Jury Pool! You want to see something really scarry? Come to Court with me and see the panel of 100 people the bring up! Average IQ about 12!
One way to quick fix this is to ban Jury trials for personal injury...no need for it! Yes you can still have one for criminal matters! Geez!

Quick Reply: I will give $1000 to the first person...