E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I will give $1000 to the first person...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 06:24 PM
[quote name='daydok' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:18 PM']afaik, i-drive uses the msft windows ce os.

or for $1000? have your kid/neighborhood kid jump in your car when he/she hears it start, so he/she can click it for you. then pay the kid a buck - that should be good for a 1000 times!

[snapback]149529[/snapback]

So there is no warning in Europe. Damn I hate lawyers in this country. The sad thing is there is some stupid BMW lawyer in this country that actually thinks that forcing someone to read the same warning 10,000 times is actually necessary. Can't I just sign a waiver ONE TIME saying that if I crash while using idrive that I won't sue BMW????

I'd like to find that lawyer, sneak into his house, and cut off all the DO NOT REMOVE tags on his mattress just to panic him.
[snapback]149532[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's not just BMW's legal dept. My friends' Infiniti and Benz nav screens have similar warnings that require driver interaction.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:09 PM
that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

May God curse all product litigation/personal injury lawyers? for this thorn in my side.

Any takers?
[snapback]149500[/snapback]

Bring your car down to Mexico and bribe a BMW dealer technician with $500 to drop the non-US code down to the car computer.
I'd guess 500 bucks goes further down there.

You can split what you save so u can write a cheque out for $250 made payable to Irisheyes.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jul 15 2005, 05:37 PM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:09 PM']that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

May God curse all product litigation/personal injury lawyers? for this thorn in my side.

Any takers?

Bring your car down to Mexico and bribe a BMW dealer technician with $500 to drop the non-US code down to the car computer.
I'd guess 500 bucks goes further down there.

You can split what you save so u can write a cheque out for $250 made payable to Irisheyes.

[snapback]149543[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good idea Irisheye, but there is a big risk bring your car to Mexico.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:09 PM
that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

Any takers?
I could not agree more. I would also like to select the startup screen.

I wonder if there is a 10-page waiver we could sign to turn it off.

Regarding I drive....I have been driving an X3 while mine has been in for the 15k service and some warranty issues. I actually missed the I-drive! pushing buttons was a real pain.

Supposidly, I now have v18. Maybe my daytime driving lights will work.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Contributors

It's not even the fact that we have to push the iDrive knob to "accept"........what is a real pain in the rear is the fact that you have to wait 10 or 15 seconds (on NAV Pro cars) for the BMW boot up screen to go away and the "accept" screen to appear. Then if you push the iDrive button as soon as the accept screen appears it does not register 90% of the time, as a matter of fact it delays it even more. If you wait 5 or so seconds after the accept screen appears, then pushing the iDrive button makes the accept screen go away, but it you press the button right away it will not go away and you have to wait another 5 to 10 seconds and push it again. If it was a matter of just pushing the button as soon as the car starts and the screen went away immediately then I would not have as much of an issue with it, it's the 15, 20, or 25 seconds that it takes for it to go away that is annoying.

This is most annoying when I am getting out of a parking spot and the PDC is beeping like heck and I can't tell which corner of the car is causing the beep because the stupid "accept screen" is not letting me see the PDC pictogram....and of coarse the accept screen will not accept my iDrive click unless I leave it alone for another 5 seconds or so.

BMW NA came up with the Accept screen in order to avoid being sued, but maybe we should sue BMW NA because the boot-up and accept screens make the PDC useless for the first 30 seconds after starting the car (when it's needed most).
Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

For pre 2005 non-iDrive cars there is a solution at www.bmw-accept.com (Click Here), but that does not help us, does it. What this guy did was not to get rid of the accept screen, but just to make it so that his module simulates a push of the button when the accept screen appears.

When we bought my wife's 2001 X5 the NAV had no accept screen, then a couple of years ago I updated the NAV software by downloading the latest version from the internet, putting it on a CD-Rom, and inserting the CD-Rom in the NAV Drive. It updated the NAV software AND added the accept screen. I then read that the accept screen can be removed by using the UK software, but then the units in NAV would change from feet to yards. I never followed up on it though.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 15 2005, 07:54 PM
It's not even the fact that we have to push the iDrive knob to "accept"........what is a real pain in the rear is the fact that you have to wait 10 or 15 seconds (on NAV Pro cars) for the BMW boot up screen to go away and the "accept" screen to appear.? Then if you push the iDrive button as soon as the accept screen appears it does not register 90% of the time, as a matter of fact it delays it even more.? If you wait 5 or so seconds after the accept screen appears, then pushing the iDrive button makes the accept screen go away, but it you press the button right away it will not go away and you have to wait another 5 to 10 seconds and push it again.? If it was a matter of just pushing the button as soon as the car starts and the screen went away immediately then I would not have as much of an issue with it, it's the 15, 20, or 25 seconds that it takes for it to go away that is annoying.

This is most annoying when I am getting out of a parking spot and the PDC is beeping like heck and I can't tell which corner of the car is causing the beep because the stupid "accept screen" is not letting me see the PDC pictogram....and of coarse the accept screen will not accept my iDrive click unless I leave it alone for another 5 seconds or so.

BMW NA came up with the Accept screen in order to avoid being sued, but maybe we should sue BMW NA because the boot-up and accept screens make the PDC useless for the first 30 seconds after starting the car (when it's needed most).
[snapback]149604[/snapback]

You do realize that if there was a hack for the accept screen on the i-Drive menu and you used it to bypass it, this might void the warranty.

Can you imagine having to actually [/I]pay[I] BMW every single time you had to take the car in get a glitch in i-Drive worked on???
Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

There would be a lot of glitchy cars out there.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:18 PM
The Agony of pushing a Button! Is it really that big of a deal to push the I-Drive button once?? Or do you really feel like... :bashwall:? when you get in the car?
[snapback]149502[/snapback]
Personally, I can't help but feel that everytime I start up my ride, the damn message is there to insult my ability to use the controls within the car safely as I drive. To make matter worse, the car didn't come with it - it was programmed in after CIP15.x

It has gone from lightly tapping on the iDrive to fisting it and in frustration banging it after a while - it got so much on my nerve (especially it taking precedence over say PDC) that I even thought of getting rid of this car!!

Another local forumer accompanied me to the dealers' and we protested strongly - we even got in touch with the regional reps and then to Germany - and after much efforts from the dealer, the damn irritating message is removed in CIP16.2
Old 07-16-2005, 12:54 AM
MEX
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Jul 15 2005, 05:59 PM
[quote name='Irisheye']
Bring your car down to Mexico and bribe a BMW dealer technician with $500? to drop the non-US code down to the car computer.?
I'd guess 500 bucks goes further down there.?

?
[snapback]149543[/snapback]
Good idea Irisheye, but there is a big risk bring your car to Mexico.
[snapback]149551[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is not a bad idea at all, i dont have the warning and I can even set the Idrive in english, spanish or french.

No, there's not a big risk, maybe the same risk as having a 5 in NYC. These cars are not what burglars or thieves are interested in, they want something they can sell and selling one of these stolen cars is nearly impossible. There are at least 10 e60s in this town and it is not one of the top 5 biggest ones, we only have about 1 million inhabitants.

tnx

Quick Reply: I will give $1000 to the first person...