E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-trip Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='651217' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:35 PM
6FL, not doable in your car. Has to be factory installed. MOST bus is an adapter that replaces the 6-disc changer in the glove box. Had it on my old 545, works well and offers a lot more content than six standard CDs. Have seen recent numbers around $700 for parts and install, which will most likely include a software update.
Let me make sure I have this down: The "MOST bus" adapter is for i-pod? or what device is it for? also, 700, is that the dealers price?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='651238' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:13 PM
Get the DLO transdock micro, works great!
what is it, how does it work, and where can I check one out?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651457' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:31 AM
Let me make sure I have this down: The "MOST bus" adapter is for i-pod? or what device is it for? also, 700, is that the dealers price?
Yes, the MOST bus is a connection in the glove box. Usually the 6-disc changer connects here but it can be replaced with the iPod adapter. In place of the 6-disc, it gives you the functionality of the iPod thru the iDrive screen. And yes, the 700 is the dealer's installed price...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Members

As far as the CD changer swap, I kinda did that on my old E46. Basically, behind the radio is an aux input that's used by the CD changer. That needs to be unplugged, and an aux cable plugged in. They then run that cable behind the dashboard into your glove box, where you would plug your ipod in. It works great.
It's not perfect, you can't see the song names and you're forced to make specific playlists on your ipod. But it works great.

My total came out to approx. $200 plus tax. $100 for the cable, another $100 for the install. Those are dealer prices in NJ.
I didn't notice where you're located, but I really can't see how a $200 job on a 3 series can be tripled on a 5. Check with your dealer.

EDIT: I forgot about the idrive (I dunno how).... I'm sure there's a nice fee associated with that.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grieverr' post='651502' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:32 AM
As far as the CD changer swap, I kinda did that on my old E46. Basically, behind the radio is an aux input that's used by the CD changer. That needs to be unplugged, and an aux cable plugged in. They then run that cable behind the dashboard into your glove box, where you would plug your ipod in. It works great.
It's not perfect, you can't see the song names and you're forced to make specific playlists on your ipod. But it works great.

My total came out to approx. $200 plus tax. $100 for the cable, another $100 for the install. Those are dealer prices in NJ.
I didn't notice where you're located, but I really can't see how a $200 job on a 3 series can be tripled on a 5. Check with your dealer.

EDIT: I forgot about the idrive (I dunno how).... I'm sure there's a nice fee associated with that.
If what you had on the E46 was a way of inputting the iPod's audio signal to the OEM radio WITHOUT the capability of controlling the iPod (and seeing titles) with the oem radio then that can be done on the E60 with the BMW Auxiliary Audio Input. I don't remember what the cost is but it should be significantly cheaper than the BMW iPod interface.

As far as the BMW iPod interface goes, some people have been able to use the installation instructions (which is posted somewhere on this board) to do the install themselves. After the install some of them worked right away (depending on the car's production date, equipment, and software version), and some needed to be programmed by the dealer. If you do a search you can find links to the installation instructions on this board or M5board.com

There is also another option called the Dension Gateway 500 which does the same thing as the BMW iPod adapter plus it also has a USB input for playing MP3's off of regular hard drives, it has an RCA aux input, and it allows you to keep the oem CD Changer functionality by using a switch to go back and forth in between the GW500 and the CD Changer..............the oem BMW iPod adapter retrofit will not allow that. See the following thread for more info. The thread was started as a group buy for the GW500, but if you go through the thread and read the posts by member "GW500" it will answer questions about the Gateway's features and compatibility requirements. Member GW500 is a Dension employee (or maybe the owner for all I know), but he is the guy with all the technical info that anyone might need..

>>>>>>Thread on Dension Gateway 500<<<<<

>>>>>Dension's Website<<<<<
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651460' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:35 AM
what is it, how does it work, and where can I check one out?
I made a thread about it when I got it a few weeks ago. You can google it, its a fm transmitter that hooks up directly to ipod connector and charges it. It scans to find the best station to tune on with intelitune.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='651608' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:54 PM
If what you had on the E46 was a way of inputting the iPod's audio signal to the OEM radio WITHOUT the capability of controlling the iPod (and seeing titles) with the oem radio then that can be done on the E60 with the BMW Auxiliary Audio Input. I don't remember what the cost is but it should be significantly cheaper than the BMW iPod interface.

As far as the BMW iPod interface goes, some people have been able to use the installation instructions (which is posted somewhere on this board) to do the install themselves. After the install some of them worked right away (depending on the car's production date, equipment, and software version), and some needed to be programmed by the dealer. If you do a search you can find links to the installation instructions on this board or M5board.com

There is also another option called the Dension Gateway 500 which does the same thing as the BMW iPod adapter plus it also has a USB input for playing MP3's off of regular hard drives, it has an RCA aux input, and it allows you to keep the oem CD Changer functionality by using a switch to go back and forth in between the GW500 and the CD Changer..............the oem BMW iPod adapter retrofit will not allow that. See the following thread for more info. The thread was started as a group buy for the GW500, but if you go through the thread and read the posts by member "GW500" it will answer questions about the Gateway's features and compatibility requirements. Member GW500 is a Dension employee (or maybe the owner for all I know), but he is the guy with all the technical info that anyone might need..

>>>>>>Thread on Dension Gateway 500<<<<<

>>>>>Dension's Website<<<<<
Okay, now your confusing me, lets get specific: my car is a late 05' model with NO aux input jack, what is the best DEALER OFFERED option that would allow me to listen to my i-pod via the cars audio system, and how much does it cost installed?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651752' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:49 PM
Okay, now your confusing me, lets get specific: my car is a late 05' model with NO aux input jack, what is the best DEALER OFFERED option that would allow me to listen to my i-pod via the cars audio system, and how much does it cost installed?
Humm......OK, I was trying to list all the possible options that I know of which are available for the E60....both OEM and aftermarket. Since you were referring to a product in post #1 that was not oem BMW I figured you were OK with non-OEM products too, that's why I mentioned the Dension. But I'll stop trying to give any more information since I don't want to confuse any more people. The items in my post above that have the word "BMW" in the names (such as "BMW Auxiliary Audio Input" or "BMW iPod interface") are oem BMW parts and can be installed at the dealer or purchased from them and installed by the customer following the installation instructions.....although in some cars they need to be programmed by the dealer even if the customer installs it himself.

As far as pricing goes....I don't remember how much they cost, hence the reason I wrote: "I don't remember what the cost is..." in the above post. Please call a BMW dealer for both cost and compatibility with your late '05 E60. As with anything else the cost of the parts as well as installation can vary significantly from one BMW dealer to the other, so call a few dealers around your area to get a better idea of cost and compatibility.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651752' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:49 PM
It's not that confusing but the only option is for you to get the MOST bus BMW iPod (no hyphen) retrofit kit. With installation, it's probably $500 or so.

It doesn't make sense to spend $250 to add an aux-in jack to the car, which provides limited functionality, when for just a bit more, you can get complete iPod control.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: Present: '06 W210 Former: '08 E60 LCI 520d, manual :), USB, Bluetooth, Navi Prof., Tow bar, PDC, Elec. seat w/mem.

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651114' date='Aug 20 2008, 06:48 PM
Open post to ANY and ALL who have heard of, used, or know someone who has used the "I-Trip Auto" adapter for your I-Pod. I am mainly looking for feedback from those who have experienced this thing in someway. For those who have never heard of it, what it does is it plugs into your cars D.C. outlet (cig. lighter, etc.), and allows you to listen to your mp3 via an available F.M. radio station. Tune your radio to any available (unused) F.M. station, and it will pick up a signal from your i-pod, and you can listen. Sounded very cool to me, seems to address all the issues about how to use your i-pod in your car, HOWEVER, one thing does concern me a little: considering the electronic mammoth the e60 is, I was wondering just how compatable this item will be be with it? The guy who introduced me to it dri Gooves a Kia, and I was trying to get him to appreciate the difference in the amount of sofisticated electronics in an e60, vs a Kia, but he couldn't quite grasp my reason for concern, which is what brings me to my trusty, fellow bimmerheads for help. Comments please, COMMENTS!
I used an iTrip adapter for quite a while (admittedly, not in an E60, but in a VW Passat 2005). With music, the quality could be just acceptable, if you set volume on the iPod just right - not too low for too much noise, not too high for too much distortion. Whenever driving under power lines, you could hear some interference. Also, I used it in Finland, where the FM radio station density isn't so high. Ultimately, I found it was not so convenient. I would have used a direct wire connection , e.g. to the AUX input, if that car had had one. In the end, I would up just using plain-old headphones. For this reason, I have absolutely fallen in love with the USB audio adapter on the new E60.

So, in summary, I would start by buying a five-dollar 3.5mm cable, and hook in via the AUX input, and see how that works for you. If you don't have an AUX in, then indeed the iTrip is the least expensive option. Good luck!