E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-trip Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Open post to ANY and ALL who have heard of, used, or know someone who has used the "I-Trip Auto" adapter for your I-Pod. I am mainly looking for feedback from those who have experienced this thing in someway. For those who have never heard of it, what it does is it plugs into your cars D.C. outlet (cig. lighter, etc.), and allows you to listen to your mp3 via an available F.M. radio station. Tune your radio to any available (unused) F.M. station, and it will pick up a signal from your i-pod, and you can listen. Sounded very cool to me, seems to address all the issues about how to use your i-pod in your car, HOWEVER, one thing does concern me a little: considering the electronic mammoth the e60 is, I was wondering just how compatable this item will be be with it? The guy who introduced me to it drives a Kia, and I was trying to get him to appreciate the difference in the amount of sofisticated electronics in an e60, vs a Kia, but he couldn't quite grasp my reason for concern, which is what brings me to my trusty, fellow bimmerheads for help. Comments please, COMMENTS!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651114' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:48 PM
Open post to ANY and ALL who have heard of, used, or know someone who has used the "I-Trip Auto" adapter for your I-Pod. I am mainly looking for feedback from those who have experienced this thing in someway. For those who have never heard of it, what it does is it plugs into your cars D.C. outlet (cig. lighter, etc.), and allows you to listen to your mp3 via an available F.M. radio station. Tune your radio to any available (unused) F.M. station, and it will pick up a signal from your i-pod, and you can listen. Sounded very cool to me, seems to address all the issues about how to use your i-pod in your car, HOWEVER, one thing does concern me a little: considering the electronic mammoth the e60 is, I was wondering just how compatable this item will be be with it? The guy who introduced me to it drives a Kia, and I was trying to get him to appreciate the difference in the amount of sofisticated electronics in an e60, vs a Kia, but he couldn't quite grasp my reason for concern, which is what brings me to my trusty, fellow bimmerheads for help. Comments please, COMMENTS!
Can't speak to the product but the car should have no problems supplyng power to the iPod and a small FM transmitter. I leave my iPod Touch plugged in the center console and frequently have my V1 plugged into the lighter. No issues at all. Car goes into sleep mode and cuts power to the outlets so they don't drain the battery.

In general, I have heard less than stellar reviews of FM transmitters for this or satellite radio but maybe this product is better. Good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='651118' date='Aug 20 2008, 06:59 PM
Can't speak to the product but the car should have no problems supplyng power to the iPod and a small FM transmitter. I leave my iPod Touch plugged in the center console and frequently have my V1 plugged into the lighter. No issues at all. Car goes into sleep mode and cuts power to the outlets so they don't drain the battery.

In general, I have heard less than stellar reviews of FM transmitters for this or satellite radio but maybe this product is better. Good luck
I was actually a little concerned about whether or not a radio transmission device like this might cause interference issues with the cars electronic systems? Maybe I worry too much....my head hurts....
Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

it will not mess with the cars electronic systems but the quality of sound is very poor with any of these devices.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651114' date='Aug 20 2008, 06:48 PM
to address all the issues about how to use your i-pod in your car
Doesn?t really address any issues - you cannot control the iPod (i.e. change tracks, select tracks, etc) at all via the MFL or iDrive.

In addition, FM transmitters are prone to interference, making for poor sound quality.

The only two ways to "address all the issues" are either with the 6FL factory option or the MOST bus iPod retrofit kit.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='651160' date='Aug 20 2008, 08:26 PM
Doesn?t really address any issues - you cannot control the iPod (i.e. change tracks, select tracks, etc) at all via the MFL or iDrive.

In addition, FM transmitters are prone to interference, making for poor sound quality.

The only two ways to "address all the issues" are either with the 6FL factory option or the MOST bus iPod retrofit kit.
6FL, MOST bus, how much, how easy or difficult, dude, I'm all ears....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='651202' date='Aug 20 2008, 08:36 PM
6FL, MOST bus, how much, how easy or difficult, dude, I'm all ears....
6FL, not doable in your car. Has to be factory installed. MOST bus is an adapter that replaces the 6-disc changer in the glove box. Had it on my old 545, works well and offers a lot more content than six standard CDs. Have seen recent numbers around $700 for parts and install, which will most likely include a software update.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributors

If you're not concerned about controlling the iPod through iDrive then you can just plug the iPod into the Aux input (if your car has one). If your car doesn't have one BMW does sell a retrofit kit for the aux input, but I would just go with the full BMW iPod retrofit kit or the Dension Gateway (do a search for it in this forum)
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I would go for an aux or MOST bus retrofit. Not a big fan of the i-trip as quality is :thumbsdown:. I'd rather listen to the radio than that IMO. GL
Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Get the DLO transdock micro, works great!

Quick Reply: I-trip Auto