E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I think my dealer sold me a crashed car

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

Hi guys

I bought my car 1 month ago with 12,000 on the clock from bmw , but over the past month I have noticed a few things that are suspious first the rear door has 2 shades of silver as well on the front right door in the inside the driver side head airbag is loose the actualy cover if you no what i mean , maybe im over reacting but what you think
Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

I don't think the dealer would legally be able to sell you a car that's been in an accident without telling you. They are required to go over the complete car history report with you. Your problems may not necessarily be accident related, but they are very suspicious. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to explain/fix it.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

There has been a huge scandal here in South Africa that second hand car shops are selling cars after they have been in a smash back to the public and i am not talking about littel golfs or something in talking about BMWS , MB and Audi
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Hi mate, please be cautious for you and w your dealer. First sh*t is you bought a second-hand car so you have tested it and seen it. Second, if there is an error or bad quality stuff, or even it was crashed they "cheated" you and you have to discuss, push'e and if not sew them for that. But hey who know what is the truth, but luckily in da US for sure you got some experts who can tell all. GOOD LUCK and please keep us updated so others can also avoid this.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Members

The thing is that it was a demo so a bmw salesperson would of been with who ever was test driving the car and surely you would not expect a BMW dealer to sell you a code 3 car
Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't think the dealer would legally be able to sell you a car that's been in an accident without telling you

I am not aware of any such law.

A used car is a used car. The dealer is not expected to vouch for the history... only the present condition. If a car was wrecked, but then fixed... the dealer isn't going to tell you.

Besides.... a dealer might not even know if the used car they are trying to sell was wrecked or not.

I have a personal example, which supports this:

Years ago, I owned a Lexus which was stolen while I was visiting Atlanta. The police recovered my car when they noticed it being driven erratically, and attempted to make a traffic violation stop. The thief then lead the police on a high-speed chase through downtown Atlanta, which ended when the car was crashed into a parking garage.

Following the accident, I had the car repaired by an independent repair shop through my insurance company. I did not inform my Lexus dealer of the event. They never found out.

I continued to drive this same car for several years. It was involved in an additional 2 wrecks during that time.... neither my fault. Once it was rear-ended while I was waiting at a red light.... and another time when someone tried to make a U-Turn on a one-way street (they were lost). I had the car repaired both times, and notified my Insurance company both times.

A couple of years later, I was considering the sale of this previously stolen & wrecked car. Curiosity lead me to run a CarFax History report on my Vin #. I expected to see some evidence of the theft, because there was an official police report in Atlanta for the incident... and I had notified my insurance of all the incidents. However, my CarFax report was 100% clean. No wrecks. No repairs. Nothing saying it had been stolen.

I was shocked. I couldn't believe it.

A word to the wise.... don't waste ANY money trying to run car history reports. My car was the PERFECT example of information that a potential buyer would want to glean from such a history report. Yet my report was clean.

I have another story. Years ago, my younger brother purchased a 2 year old Acura Legend coupe. It had been leased, and then recertified by Acura with extra warranty. The car was in excellent shape, and had only 18,000 miles.

After owning the car for a couple of months, my dad was looking in the owners manual of the car for some reason..... and noticed that the name of the previous owner was written on it. Turns out, the previous owner was an acquaintance of my parents, from Washington DC. They went to the same church. My dad laughed, saying... "What a small world."

Fast forward a few weeks, my dad runs into the couple at church. He jokingly mentions that his son is now driving their old car. They gasped, in total shock. He asked why the surprise? And they said, that they got rid of that car after it had been set on fire by vandals. Turns out some people dumped some gasoline on it, and lit a match. The damage was limited to the paint, but they were still surprised that the car would have been resold as "certified."

So.... all I can say is.... I don't know of any law which states a dealer is responsible for vouching the history of a used car.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='317825' date='Aug 2 2006, 12:55 AM
I am not aware of any such law.
It depends on the country. In Germany it is illegal and if you find out the dealer didn't told you about a crash you can return the car.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='317827' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:57 PM
It depends on the country. In Germany it is illegal and if you find out the dealer didn't told you about a crash you can return the car.
I was under the impression that this is also true for the US. Although I do agree with subterFUSE that it is/would be very easy to get away with selling a car that has been in an accident without anyone ever knowing. However, in order for BMW to sell a certified pre-owned vehicle they have to do a 500 point inspection (at least I think it's 500). I imagine that somewhere throughout that inspection they would be able to tell if the car has been in an accident.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

However, in order for BMW to sell a certified pre-owned vehicle they have to do a 500 point inspection (at least I think it's 500). I imagine that somewhere throughout that inspection they would be able to tell if the car has been in an accident.

Not necessarily.

Take my Acura example.

It was an Acure certified pre-owned. The original owner leased it in Washington, DC. We purchased it used in South Carolina. It went through the Acura inspection and passed.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='317843' date='Aug 1 2006, 04:23 PM
Not necessarily.
Take my Acura example.

It was an Acure certified pre-owned. The original owner leased it in Washington, DC. We purchased it used in South Carolina. It went through the Acura inspection and passed.
I'm not saying the car wouldn't pass their inspection. I'm just saying that they're required to tell the new buyer what they discovered. In the case of your Acura, which was burned and then fixed, the dealer may not have been able to tell that the car was repainted and everything else on the car could have been in excellent condition, thus passing the inspection with no signs of an accident, just normal wear. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying that I think it is illegal in the US to knowingly sell a used car that has been in an accident. If the dealer doesn't know, then how can they be expected to tell you. I think if you discover the car has been in an accident, then the dealer is required to take the car back.

Quick Reply: I think my dealer sold me a crashed car