E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I think I've figured out my -High Battery Drain-

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I've posted that I have had intermittent warnings at startup about "High Battery Drain". I've never had a dead car that won't start, but it was unsettling nonetheless. There were times when the car would warn me after just 1 overnight period in the garage, and other times when the car could go days without being driven and not issue the warning.

After trying a number of different things, I found that switching the radio source from MP3 to FM prior to shutting off the engine corrected the "High Battery Drain" warning issue. Although it's fairly ridiculous to have to do it, I've formulated a "power down" sequence. Kind of like going through a flight checklist or something...

-Turn lights to "off" position from auto (although this didn't seem to have an effect either way)

-Change radio to FM

-Mute radio

-Unlock doors

-Shut off engine

I haven't tried leaving a regular CD in the slot and leaving it on the CD source. That might be interesting. If a normal CD doesn't make this happen that could point to an issue with the MP3 code.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:46 AM
I've posted that I have had intermittent warnings at startup about "High Battery Drain".? I've never had a dead car that won't start, but it was unsettling nonetheless.? There were times when the car would warn me after just 1 overnight period in the garage, and other times when the car could go days without being driven and not issue the warning.

After trying a number of different things, I found that switching the radio source from MP3 to FM prior to shutting off the engine corrected the "High Battery Drain" warning issue.? Although it's fairly ridiculous to have to do it, I've formulated a "power down" sequence.? Kind of like going through a flight checklist or something...

-Turn lights to "off" position from auto (although this didn't seem to have an effect either way)

-Change radio to FM

-Mute radio

-Unlock doors

-Shut off engine

I haven't tried leaving a regular CD in the slot and leaving it on the CD source.? That might be interesting.? If a normal CD doesn't make this happen that could point to an issue with the MP3 code.
[snapback]146268[/snapback]
I have a regular CD in the slot all the times and sometimes left the radio source in CD. No problem with High Battery Drain issue.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by lcc014' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:51 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:46 AM']I've posted that I have had intermittent warnings at startup about "High Battery Drain".? I've never had a dead car that won't start, but it was unsettling nonetheless.? There were times when the car would warn me after just 1 overnight period in the garage, and other times when the car could go days without being driven and not issue the warning.

After trying a number of different things, I found that switching the radio source from MP3 to FM prior to shutting off the engine corrected the "High Battery Drain" warning issue.? Although it's fairly ridiculous to have to do it, I've formulated a "power down" sequence.? Kind of like going through a flight checklist or something...

-Change radio to FM

-Mute radio

-Unlock doors

-Shut off engine

I haven't tried leaving a regular CD in the slot and leaving it on the CD source.? That might be interesting.? If a normal CD doesn't make this happen that could point to an issue with the MP3 code.
I have a regular CD in the slot all the times and sometimes left the radio source in CD. No problem with High Battery Drain issue.
[snapback]146269[/snapback]
[/quote]

We might not have the same CIP revision. Can you play MP3s?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

I've had my ride for 7 months now. The only thing I do before leaving the car is to shut down the headlights. Everything else is left as it is. I am on 16.2 and I have a single MP3 disc in my single disc slot all the time.

Touch wood; no battery drain problem so far.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 6 2005, 01:02 PM
[quote name='lcc014' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:51 AM'][quote name='UUronL' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:46 AM']I've posted that I have had intermittent warnings at startup about "High Battery Drain".? I've never had a dead car that won't start, but it was unsettling nonetheless.? There were times when the car would warn me after just 1 overnight period in the garage, and other times when the car could go days without being driven and not issue the warning.

-Change radio to FM

-Mute radio

-Unlock doors

-Shut off engine

[snapback]146269[/snapback]
[/quote]

We might not have the same CIP revision. Can you play MP3s?
[snapback]146286[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know my car's SW rev., but definitely early than 16.2. I will upgrade the SW when my car's mileage reaches 15k miles.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Members

My service rep told me that because I was keeping my cell phone charger plugged in all the time that it caused the "high batt. drain", basically the car thinks that because the phone is plugged in that someone is in the car and therefore runs the battery much longer.....so i started unplugging the charger and have not received the warning.
Just a thought.
Jon
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jstuder' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:20 AM
My service rep told me that because I was keeping my cell phone charger plugged in all the time that it caused the "high batt. drain", basically the car thinks that because the phone is plugged in that someone is in the car and therefore runs the battery much longer.....so i started unplugging the charger and have not received the warning.
Just a thought.
Jon
[snapback]146598[/snapback]

Nod. I know, I'm aware of this, but I've never plugged a single thing into the car to charge.

Oh, and I got the warning this morning after a long period (a couple of weeks) without receiving it. It is due to go into the shop anyway - 2 trim pieces that had minor blemishes on delivery, slight movement in driver's seat, and this darn battery drain issue. I guess that's not too bad for a new car?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

My car did it from new. Software upgrade helped, but it still does it, and often without any logical reason. I left the car for 2 weeks during a business trip. On my return, it started like normal, and no message. If left for 1 or 2 hours, no message. But 24 hours, invariably I get the message.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rich535d' date='Jul 8 2005, 03:13 PM
My car did it from new. Software upgrade helped, but it still does it, and often without any logical reason. I left the car for 2 weeks during a business trip. On my return, it started like normal, and no message. If left for 1 or 2 hours, no message. But 24 hours, invariably I get the message.
[snapback]147032[/snapback]

Yup, sounds just like mine.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

Any updates on this? I have had this problem ever since I picked the car up last week. Every morning I get the warning.. Every single morning that I start it it pops up. Yet I don't charge anything, or play MP3's.

Quick Reply: I think I've figured out my -High Battery Drain-