E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I talked to a BMW Service Advisor about Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sessionmc' post='937883' date='Jul 9 2009, 09:34 PM
+1 My mechanic also recommended against changing tranny fluid.. even at 106k miles.

So I wonder if this rule applies to the X3/5's on the road that are used for towing?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that term "lifetime fill". What a great marketing term that says nothing. What exactly is lifetime? The fluid will last for the life of the car, right? Well, how long is that exactly?

When BMW says "lifetime fill", they mean to 100,000 miles. If you're not going to keep the car longer than that, then don't do it.

If a technician advises you against doing it, and you really want to have it done, take it somewhere else. They could be telling you not to do it because they really don't think its necessary, or they may be trying to talk you out of doing something that they just don't want to do.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='937672' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:10 PM
Honestly, with BMW shops and BMW NA doing everything they can to deny claims in this economy, why take something that isnt broken and attempt to fix it?

Youre taking a gamble with your car, which is your lifeline to your job and money and for what? To replace fluid that you dont need to replace.

You baby your car so i understand you wanting to maintain it, and you should do that but not with something that could pu your car out of commission for months at a time.

CPO isnt the best warranty and you may void it by replacing something that bmw says you shouldnt replace.

I think its just a hassle that you dont need to go through or put your car through

Put that money elsewhere, like sway bars or something that will actually help the car that does need to be replaced
+1
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beaker' post='938592' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:54 AM
I love that term "lifetime fill". What a great marketing term that says nothing. What exactly is lifetime? The fluid will last for the life of the car, right? Well, how long is that exactly?

When BMW says "lifetime fill", they mean to 100,000 miles. If you're not going to keep the car longer than that, then don't do it.

If a technician advises you against doing it, and you really want to have it done, take it somewhere else. They could be telling you not to do it because they really don't think its necessary, or they may be trying to talk you out of doing something that they just don't want to do.

this is terrible advice

what mechanic is going to turn down ANY job right now? they are telling people not to do it because there is no benefit to it and only a risk

they are actually being honest
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

Originally Posted by beaker' post='938592' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:54 AM

a lifetime is a 100k?? That's hysterical! I've had old bimmers with over 200k and still ticking just fine! 100k is not the lifetime of the E60, nor what BMW means by a lifetime - and if they do, they're seriously in big trouble.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

To change the ATF, or not to change? THAT is the question. (And it's a tough one.)

I have researched this and asked several experts because I'm trying to decide what to do, too. I have asked (1) my SA, (2) the shop foreman at my BMW dealer, (3) the manager at a local ZF transmission authorized service center, and (4) a well respected transmission repair guy. Here is the result:

My SA and the shop foreman told me not to do it, repeating the BMW company line about lifetime ATF. They both told me that BMW is very adamant about not wanting anyone to fiddle with its trannys. My SA added that, if you want to do it, don't wait too long-- do it at 50k miles, or not at all.

The manager at the ZF transmission service center said DO IT every 50k miles, that a transmission service with factory fluid and pan
runs $550.00. The filter for the transmission is built into the pan so to change the filter it must be replaced. The only other thing he has seen on these transmissions is the electrical connector sleeve will leak and that it's best to replace it at the same time to save labor. It adds about $110.00 in parts to do that with the transmission service. Finally, he said that it takes all day because they have to fill the
transmission below 50deg C.

The transmission repair guy said DO IT every 25k or 30k miles-- that "lifetime ATF" is a misguided marketing idea-- a way to incorrectly assert that our cars are low maintenance.

Based upon this information and other information I have read in this forum and other places, here is what I intend to do (but I'm NO EXPERT):

I intend to have a qualified BMW or ZF tech change the ATF, the pan and the electrical connector sleeve every 50k miles, using BMW ATF only. I'm convinced that changing the ATF is standard maintenance. I also think that BMW says that its ATF is "lifetime" because they know that more trannys are ruined by unqualified, quickie oil change shops then anything else. So, to minimize the risk of some ham-handed rookie screwing up its tranny, they just scream: "DON?T TOUCH IT!!"

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

I change it every 2 years for cars that I drive hard and every 3 years for cars that are seldom used. Never had any issues with transmissions,... ever!!

cheers
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='938714' date='Jul 10 2009, 02:58 PM
what mechanic is going to turn down ANY job right now?
A mechanic that thinks that you're anal about your car, and doesn't want you bringing it back five times because of an imperceptible lurch in the shifting since he/she changed the fluid.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='938728' date='Jul 10 2009, 03:09 PM
a lifetime is a 100k?? That's hysterical! I've had old bimmers with over 200k and still ticking just fine! 100k is not the lifetime of the E60, nor what BMW means by a lifetime - and if they do, they're seriously in big trouble.
So the fact that "lifetime fill" came up at the same time as BMW paying for the maintenance is just coincidence?

This is a topic that has been debated to death. You don't want to change your ATF? Fine. Don't. Mike Miller recommends it, and that's enough for me.

This might be an interesting read: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=494219
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by psam550' post='939011' date='Jul 10 2009, 07:30 PM
...if you want to do it, don't wait too long-- do it at 50k miles, or not at all.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: I talked to a BMW Service Advisor about Transmissions