E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I was not aware the US Gasoline is not for use in the E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geekmedic' post='751743' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:30 PM
In most major metropolitan areas with heavy traffic, the EPA now mandates it. Here in Atlanta, you cannot legally purchase gas without ethanol in it (at least to my knowledge).

I find it funny that QuickTrip is listed as a top tier gas supplier, but BP and Exxon/Amoco aren't listed.

I think if you send Rod Blagojevich $1,000 you can also be a "TopTier Gas" supplier.

I know in chicago I cant find any non-ethanol gas. But when it gets cold I want alcohol in the gas anyhow. Its like free "Heat".
Old 12-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Hahahahahaha! LOL!

He didn't really say this, did he? Hahahahahahahaha!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Yeah he did. lol Take a look at my earlier post on my frozen gas line issue.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Here are various excerpts from BMW SIBs on the topic of gasoline and additives.

SI B 13 01 06
Fuel System & Control September 2006 Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B13 01 06 dated March 2006.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Alcohol Fuel Blends in BMW Vehicles

MODEL
All with gasoline engines

SITUATION
Fuel blends containing a high percentage (above 10%) of alcohol, mainly ethanol, are becoming more commercially available. Customers inquire about the possibility of using alcohol fuels (e.g. E85) in BMW vehicles.

INFORMATION
Fuels containing up to and including 10% of ethanol or other oxygenates with up to 2.8% oxygen by weight, that is, 15% MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) or 3% methanol plus an equivalent amount of co-solvent, will not void the applicable warranties with respect to defects in materials or workmanship.

Although, usage of such alcohol fuel blends may result in drivability, starting, and stalling problems due to reduced volatility and lower energy content of the fuel. Those drivability problems may be especially evident under certain environmental conditions, such as: high or low ambient temperatures and high altitude.

Only specially adapted vehicles (FFV - Flexible Fuel Vehicles) can run on high alcohol fuel blends. BMW, for the various technical and environmental reasons explained below, does not offer FFV models.

Usage of E85, or any other high alcohol content blend (e.g. E30) in BMW vehicles, will cause various drivability complaints (cold start problems, stalling, reduced performance, poor fuel economy, etc.), may cause excessive emissions, and may cause irreversible damage to engine, emission control and fuel delivery systems due to incompatibility of materials with alcohols.

---

SI B 13 03 06
Fuel Systems May 2006 Technical Service

SUBJECT
Fuel Pump Failure after Refueling with Ethanol Fuel Blend

MODEL
All

SITUATION
Engine dies shortly after refueling, and cannot be restarted again.

CAUSE
Fuel contamination related to a recent introduction of ethanol fuel blends. Ethanol is used as an octane booster, and replaces MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) in many fuel formulations.

High levels of water and other residue contaminants may cause damage to a fuel delivery system.

The introduction of ethanol to existing storage tank and distribution systems has acted to absorb the build-up of water and free residual contaminants accumulating over a period of time at these locations and permits them to be pumped into vehicles at the time of refueling.

Aside from the engine not running, early tests on vehicles with severe contamination reveal, for example, oxidation as the cause for fuel pump seizure on the E46 and a clogged fuel filter as the cause for a ruptured in-tank fuel line on the E65/66 N73 (760Li/i).

CORRECTION
In case of a fuel delivery system failure after refueling, follow the procedure below:

Drain all contaminated fuel from the fuel tank and fuel lines.

Clean all deposits/residue from the bottom of the fuel tank.

Replace the fuel filter/regulator assembly

Replace the fuel pump if seized, or if the in-tank pressure line is ruptured.

NOTE: For more information related to ethanol fuel blends refer to SI B13 01 06 (Alcohol Fuel Blends in BMW Vehicles).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
BMW NA does not cover damage caused by contaminated fuel. Customers should be directed to the facility where the fuel was purchased.

---

SI B 13 04 06
Fuel Systems August 2006 Technical Service

SUBJECT
Alcohol Detection Procedure

MODEL
All Models

SITUATION
Fuel Blends containing a high percentage (10%and above) of alcohol, mainly ethanol, are becoming more commercially available. Usage of E85, or any other high alcohol content blend (e.g. E30) in BMW vehicles, will cause various drivability complaints (cold start problems, stalling, reduced performance, poor fuel economy, etc.), may cause excessive emissions, and may cause irreversible damage to engine, emission control and fuel delivery systems due to incompatibility of materials with alcohols. Refer to SI B13 01 06 Alcohol Fuel Blends in BMW Vehicles for complete details.

In order to correctly diagnose various drivability complaints caused by fuel blends with a high level of ethanol content, BMW is providing you with an alcohol detection test tool.

Distribution of the following tool will be through the Automatic Tool Shipment Program.

--

Here they are hawking their branded fuel system cleaner!!
SI B 13 05 06
Fuel Systems September 2006 Technical Service

SUBJECT
BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus

MODEL
All

SITUATION
Recent field experiences have shown a significant increase in various drivability complaints due to excessive carbon deposits in engine's combustion chambers, on the intake valves and fuel injectors.

The overall rise in carbon deposits accumulation is generally attributed to poor gasoline quality, namely, low level of cleaning additives and fuel contamination.

TECHNICAL BACKGROUND
Combustion chamber deposit formation is a by-product of the gasoline burning process. Fuel injector and intake valve deposits may become less troublesome with the recently introduced Top Tier Detergent Gasoline deposit control standards, which are exceeding the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA since 1995.

However, vehicles that do not exclusively use a Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, or are regularly driven in severe service conditions, such as stop-and-go traffic, high ambient temperatures, and high altitude can experience performance problems caused by intake system and combustion chamber deposits.

The most common customer complaints may include:

FUEL INJECTORS

Deposits at the injector's tip can impact fuel flow, upsetting the air/fuel mixture ratio.

Symptoms: Hesitation or stumble during acceleration, even loss of power. Poor fuel efficiency. Increased emissions of HC and CO. "Service Engine Soon" light illumination due to intermittent misfire faults, or lean mixture adaptation values

INTAKE VALVES:

Deposits at the valves and on the intake manifold ports can absorb fuel during the warm-up phase, leaning out the air/fuel mixture ratio. Carbon build-up may disturb mixture flow at low throttle conditions/idle speeds.

Symptoms: Poor drivability, loss of power, unstable/rough idle, increased emissions of HC, CO and NOx. "Service Engine Soon" light illumination due to intermittent misfire faults.

COMBUSTION CHAMBER:

Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference, or CCDI, occurs when there is a contact between carbon deposits on the piston crown and cylinder head. The noise can be confused or misdiagnosed as ping, knock or other noises that could indicate a mechanical failure. CCDI occurs first as a cold start noise that can fade as the engine warms to operating temperature. The noise will reoccur at the next cold start. As deposits build, there is an increase in compression temperature that may cause pre-ignition detonations.

Symptoms: Knocking, pinging, run-on, poor acceleration, octane requirement increase, increased emissions of NOx, engine idle speed surges.

Depending on the manufacturer, fuels may contain various additives such as: oxidation and corrosion inhibitors, metal deactivators, emulsifiers, anti-icing agents & dyes, plus they are required to include some form of an intake system deposit control package. Unfortunately, not all fuels are created equal, and some additive packages are not effective enough to maintain integrity of the intake systems in high performance engines, or engines operating in severe environmental conditions. Even worse, the intake system deposit control additives in some fuels may actually contribute to the combustion chamber deposits accumulation, and to the problems associated with those deposits: knock, run-on and increased emissions of oxides of nitrogen.

RECOMMENDATION
BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline of minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and with alcohol content of less then 10% by volume (or any other oxygenates with up to 2.8% of oxygen by weight). Only the exclusive usage of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline provides the full benefit of reducing deposits formation. For more information related to TOP TIER Gasoline refer to SI B13 02 06.

If the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is unavailable, we recommend BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus (PN 82 14 0 413 341) be added to the gas tank. For optimum cleaning and deposits control, add a 20 fl. oz. bottle every 3,000 miles when refueling.

--

SI B 13 07 06
Fuel Systems November 2006 Technical Service

SUBJECT
Gasoline Quality & Detergent Additives - Customer Information Brochure

MODEL
All

INFORMATION
In recent years, field experiences have shown a significant increase in various drivability complaints due to variations in fuel quality offered by different manufactures in the U.S.

The quality of gasoline is determined by many factors, with the percentage of alcohol (mainly ethanol) and the level of detergent additives becoming the key contributors.

To help BMW Technicians correctly understand and diagnose fuel drivability problems, the following Service Information Bulletins were published in TIS:

B13 01 06 ? Alcohol Fuel Blends in BMW Vehicles;

B13 02 06 ? Top Tier Detergent Gasoline in BMW Vehicles;

B13 03 06 ? Fuel Pump Failure after Refueling with Ethanol Blend;

B13 04 06 ? Alcohol Detection Procedure;

B13 05 06 ? BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus.

It becomes extremely important to educate BMW consumers about importance of gasoline quality, and its influence on vehicle's drivability.

In order to help you communicate fuel quality related topics to your customers, BMW NA published a consumer brochure: "Beyond Octane ? How additives in gasoline are affecting your BMW's performance". Copy of this brochure is attached.

A couple more here and there but you can catch BMWs drift - Carbon build up and other issues related to fuel quality are NOT covered by BMW Warranty.....
Old 12-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Just love the feedback I got Veight by this tread,

Please tell us what was the problem after you had your car for a check up.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Old 12-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='752759' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:42 PM
Can I get some?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='752761' date='Dec 25 2008, 02:43 PM
Can I get some?

Sure...it's family-sized
Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Ok, so simply going to the top-tier gas stations assures me of the best gasoline possible? Where I'm at, most of the gas stations are "top-tier", which is kinda weird. Shell, BP, and the 76 here turned into a Speedway about ten years ago.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='751984' date='Dec 24 2008, 06:58 AM
This seems to be one of the causes of the dreaded HPFP failure in 535I's.... only problem is that BMW does not seem to understand that the EPA has mandated in most Ozone action areas ( read in normal speak : A City in the USA) that RFG or Reformulated Gas due to Pollution...

RFG has a ton of Ethanol in it , and normal non RFG is now up to 10% ( that is a claim but most places are in the 15 -20 % ethanol in my area). It's not like it is a New thing here, you'd think that with the number of failures that they would figure that out.
Are you sure about that 15-20%? That much could definitely cause widespread problems.

RFG has 5.6% Ethanol, before RFG was dropped in 06:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg_regs.htm#usage

Gasohol (E10, with 10% Ethanol) is currently used throughout CA.

Quick Reply: I was not aware the US Gasoline is not for use in the E60