E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I need a new TCU...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ... I gave up with the dealer/new TCU route. They took the car apart and couldn't connect the newer TCU they ordered. I had suspected they had not ordered the right part but had no direct channel to find out what I had vs. what was needed.

Eventually the BTUM came out and I got it from the dealer with a BMWCCA discount (15%). The car still needed to be programmed to enable the phone function (as if it had a CPT9000). The ironic thing was that in reprogramming the car the TCU failed to take the update and had to be replaced! It was replaced but the BTUM was still needed. I've had no problems with the BTUM solution other than occupying the tray in the console.

I've seen BTUM modules for sale on the web (and on eBay) and recommend that solution. Note that you still need to have the phone enabled in the car.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

Not to pry, but how much did you pay at the dealer for the BTUM and installation?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the replacement TCU, is the LED on BTUM lit. Even though the dealer told me that I still needed the BTUM, I noticed that the BTUM's power LED was not lit. I removed the BTUM and still had bluetooth. What is the part number of your replacement TCU? Maybe I received a newer TCU. My 545 was fab'd 12/03.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

I'm wired for the CPT9000 (like everybody else in the US), but there's no cradle or phone there.