E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I need HELP!!! please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2004 BMW 530i one day i tried to start the car it cranked for like 30 seconds the the car came on i went to work after work i tried to start the car no crank, so i changed the starter and the car started right up... i drove the car home and it died on me all the faults came on the screen and it seemed like the battery died so i bought a new battery from BMW drove the car again the battery died again i was told by the BMW tech it had BSD fault i changed the alternator, i drove the car for a day same problems... the battery died all the faults came on and the car shut off please help i spent over 1,000.00 already to fix the car and its not working i cant diagnose the problem... does anybody has an idea what can be wrong...
thanks in advance

i have no aftermarket parts on any electronic upgrades or mods
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by willy beamin
i have a 2004 BMW 530i one day i tried to start the car it cranked for like 30 seconds the the car came on i went to work after work i tried to start the car no crank, so i changed the starter and the car started right up... i drove the car home and it died on me all the faults came on the screen and it seemed like the battery died so i bought a new battery from BMW drove the car again the battery died again i was told by the BMW tech it had BSD fault i changed the alternator, i drove the car for a day same problems... the battery died all the faults came on and the car shut off please help i spent over 1,000.00 already to fix the car and its not working i cant diagnose the problem... does anybody has an idea what can be wrong...
thanks in advance

It sounds like something is sucking all the juice out of your battery. The first thing I'd do is go underneath the spare tire and see if you have water there. I've been reading quite a bit on electrical issues on this forum, and it seems like a good place to start. If there is water in your wheel well (remove the spare tire and styrofoam panels under that till you get to the naked body) it could be that your MPM is damaged and not shutting off some electronics causing them to suck the battery dry while the car is off.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I'm sorry to hear about your issues.. I do not know enough about our cars electrical system to offer much advice. However, I do seem to remember someone having similar issues and I believe the culprit turned out to be their IBS (intelligent battery sensor. Maybe look into that. Good Luck, hopefully it won't cost too much more to get her running right!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

See, it may help,(about IBS)
https://5series.net/forums/topic/916..._fromsearch__1
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Contributors

thanks in advance

So what was the eventual cause of your issue? Did you get it resolved?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Members

Thanks for the advise I'll look in to it. But the car is still in the shop haven't resolved it
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Members

friend told me it might be a bad ground wire i gotta check it out keep ya posted
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Members

hey guys it was the alternator the one i bought from advance auto (bosch) was defective got another and the car runs great
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Contributors

hey guys it was the alternator the one i bought from advance auto (bosch) was defective got another and the car runs great
Thanks for the update and glad to hear you're back in business