E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I need help with a oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Little history, I bought a 2004 545i with sport suspension a week or so ago and it had a broken a/c belt. The good thing was, it was not the a/c that caused the problem, it was a oil leak that deteriorated the belt until it broke. Problem now is finding the leak.

It appears to be leaking onto the a/c belt and this is flinging the stuff everywhere. I originally thought it was the power steering but saw a couple drops drip down onto the A/C belt. I resealed the vacuum pump thinking it maybe from there but after a quick drive oil was everywhere again. I'm starting to think power steering fluid again from maybe the active sway-bars or ?

Little help
Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Contributors

I think I'm going to clean everything again and then wrap the lines and whatever else that may be leaking with aluminum foil. This way when it does leak it will hopefully be contained in the foil. This should help me narrow down where the leak maybe coming from.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

A most common leak in the E60 engine with a bit of age is from the vacuum pump. It is located in front of the engine just above the AC condensor belt among other belts. If you are standing in front of the car, it's on the left hand side. Check out this thread.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/996...1#entry1185662
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Thanks I just resealed that, maybe I pinched the o-ring. Any other places where there are leaks?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by healthservices
I think I'm going to clean everything again and then wrap the lines and whatever else that may be leaking with aluminum foil. This way when it does leak it will hopefully be contained in the foil. This should help me narrow down where the leak maybe coming from.
Anything you put inside the engine bay better be on securely. I'd strongly not recommend wrapping the lines with aluminum foil. The fan may just blow it right off and may cause other problems as well. Thats just my opinion, but it is your car...

You're on the right track about cleaning everything, just don't wrap the lines. After driving a day or two, check the lines again. With the engine cold and off, run your hand over and under and around any tubes to find the potential leak. Maybe use a rag also. This may help narrow down the problem. Good luck
Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Fortunately or unfortunately it does not take a day to see the mess. At idle and rpm on the lift I cannot make it leak enough to see anything. So I'm thinking it maybe caused by the power steering under load or when the active suspension is operating.

The problem with it leaking onto the a/c belt is, it flings it everywhere. I'm trying to keep it from doing that.

thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

well so far it appears to be leaking either on to the belt and flinging onto the bracket or it is running down the side of the block and onto the a/c unit.

I need help with a oil leak-leak1.jpg
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this exact same problem. After eliminating the vacuum pump as the problem, I discovered is was the oil pressure switch directly below the vacuum pump. Part number #12611710509. A cheap fix, about $10. Guarantee its the problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributors

That will be the next thing I will look at! I bet you it is connected to this wire junction and the oil is leaking down the wire. I thought it was the belt flinging it up there but there is no evidence of oil being flinged on to anything above it!

I need help with a oil leak-oil-leak.jpg
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Boy that thing is about impossible to see with the high pressure active suspension lines. I pulled the connector plug off and it was full of oil. Time to replace. On a good note the local Kragen says they stock it!

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: I need help with a oil leak