E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I need to hear that V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I have had the 545i a little while now and I am starting to get used to the small quirks and the big rewards. There is one thing that is missing for me at the moment, and that is the sound of the V8. With standard exhausts it's very quiet (which is no bad thing), but sometimes you would like to know you have a 4.4 v8 up front.

So I have listened to a few you-tube vids but they don't give you a real sense of the sound, or what they are like to live with day by day. So here are my requirements, let me know if you think anything comes close?

- I would like to hear the car at idle and on acceleration but want to cruise without any drone (very important)
- I am not interested in bhp gains
- Ideally the exhaust tips will look the same as OEM equipment
- I don't want to spend a fortune

Let me know what you think?

Regards,

JD
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JamesD' post='865116' date='May 1 2009, 01:03 PM
Ok guys, I have had the 545i a little while now and I am starting to get used to the small quirks and the big rewards. There is one thing that is missing for me at the moment, and that is the sound of the V8. With standard exhausts it's very quiet (which is no bad thing), but sometimes you would like to know you have a 4.4 v8 up front.

So I have listened to a few you-tube vids but they don't give you a real sense of the sound, or what they are like to live with day by day. So here are my requirements, let me know if you think anything comes close?

- I would like to hear the car at idle and on acceleration but want to cruise without any drone (very important)

Regards,

JD
Yeah I'm know what you mean - although, if you give it the beans it *does* make a great noise, just you're very well insulated from it in the car. Try flooring it up to the redline with the windows down
Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
Members

I like you thinking, that's probably even more antisocial though

I suppose what I am after is the classic V8 'woofle'

Are you the same BMWBen from Pistonheads BTW?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I have the RPi exhaust and it sounds SWEET. The sound is sick, and the idle is just the right level. There is no drone when cruising but if you give it a little gas while cruising, you get some drone. You will get used to it after 1 or 2 weeks though. . I know you don't care about HP gains but the RPi gives you 13hp to the wheels.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JamesD' post='865116' date='May 1 2009, 08:03 AM

Regards,

JD
Just bang a small nail into the muffler and pull the nail out.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Here's a link to my custom set-up, but this may be more aggressive than what you're looking for, http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=64616. The initial video page has a link to the interior sound clip for reference.

Check out RPI as well.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='865124' date='May 1 2009, 06:19 AM
I have the RPi exhaust and it sounds SWEET. The sound is sick, and the idle is just the right level. There is no drone when cruising but if you give it a little gas while cruising, you get some drone. You will get used to it after 1 or 2 weeks though. . I know you don't care about HP gains but the RPi gives you 13hp to the wheels.
+1 for RPI
Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Not sure what you are looking for exists. No matter what anyone tells you the RPI exhaust in the 545 drones like crazy at certain RPMs.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='866065' date='May 2 2009, 12:35 PM
Not sure what you are looking for exists. No matter what anyone tells you the RPI exhaust in the 545 drones like crazy at certain RPMs.
I think you definitely get used to it though. I did it just took a little time.
I think the drone subsides a little after you put a few hundred miles on the car
And it doesn't drone when you are cruising. Only when you give it a little gas when your cruising in 6th gear. As soon as your off the gas it's quiet again
Old 05-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

The Remus exhaust adds a nice low tone to the exhaust. Its only slightly louder than stock. See Remus Exhaust Shop for clips. You may want more loudness. No droning at all. The tips on the single side are a bit different than stock. I think my was mounted a bit rearward. They do stick out more. You can also get Remus quads and choose your tips but you need a different rear diffuser.
I need to hear that V8-nk2_8337s.jpg
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Members

Just remove the resonator.. short and sweet..

did I mention cheap? about $50 should get the job done..

Quick Reply: I need to hear that V8