E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I need advice cause I'm freaking out here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Right now my car is at BMW and it will be over the weekend. They're taking care of a check engine light and putting on my winter tires for a total of about $500.

I had also asked about my AUX input though which I had installed about a year ago, nothing over AUX produced any bass so they were supposed to replace it under a 2 year parts warranty because I had them install it about a year ago.

Now my car hasn't been under warranty for less than a year.

Anyways, they call me and tell me the bass problem isn't with the AUX input but with the entire radio unit and it will cost $2500 to (replace)repair.

Now this is a problem that I've noticed since the day I got my AUX input, I've noticed this issue since I was still under warranty but I always thought that's the way AUX was supposed to be and CDs produced bass anyways. I'm pretty sure I even asked about it a year ago but they said it could be the cable I'm using etc etc. Unfortunately I never made an official complaint while still under warranty but they still misled me. Oh and under 2 months ago I went in about the issue and they told me they needed to replace the AUX input, they'd do it for free and they said nothing about the radio unit.

So my questions are:

What should I do?

Do you think they're lying to me? How does this problem just suddenly appear when before I was told the AUX input was causing it? (I'm pretty young and I'm always disrespected and treated like shit at the dealership)

What part are they actually replacing when they say "replacing the radio unit" and how much would it cost if I bought it online to maybe have it installed by a third party?

Do I have some possible recourse with BMW NA and their courtesy warranty solutions? I know sometimes they take care of stuff for free even outside of warranty if the problem arose while the car was still under warranty.

Thanks in advance guys, I'm really worrying about all this.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

did u get it fixed for free when u had the chance?

ask for the part number they r replacing

find a good used or a cheap new one

hand it to them to install or install it urself

:l

nothing to freak out about as u been driving around for a yr or so with shitty bass and didnt mind it
Old 11-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Isn't there a issue with aux cable as it is, and wasn't the cure bypassing the resister (or capacitor) in the cable itself?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by healthservices
Isn't there a issue with aux cable as it is, and wasn't the cure bypassing the resister (or capacitor) in the cable itself?

There was a thread about that, but I don't have that problem since I have an after market woofer and amp in the trunk I got plenty of bass.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 XI, 19 VMR VB3, matte grills, RPI scoop, MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Im freaking out about the cost of the tire replacement!!! are they including new tires? or did you bring the tires in and their doing a swap?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by casualvic
Im freaking out about the cost of the tire replacement!!! are they including new tires? or did you bring the tires in and their doing a swap?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
+1... $500 for a check engine light and mounting tires??
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

As other members have pointed out, the lack of bass is due to the resistor they put into the cable to reduce noise. If you are somewhat inclined with a soldering tool, or know someone that is, they can easily help you remove the resistor.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
As other members have pointed out, the lack of bass is due to the resistor they put into the cable to reduce noise. If you are somewhat inclined with a soldering tool, or know someone that is, they can easily help you remove the resistor.

I hope that is! Why would they tell me it's the whole unit?

And the 500$ is

$110 mounting tires

$100 and something dollars for diagnosing the check engine.

$300ish for the parts and fix.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Scoops
Why would they tell me it's the whole unit?

So they won't have to deal with it. Likely hood of you actually paying to replace the whole unit is slim.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Members

The bass issue is definitely related to the resistors on the aux cable that connects to the back of the head unit. Do a search. I foliowed a diy on here a couple years ago and it fixed the issue for me.

Quick Reply: I need advice cause I'm freaking out here.