E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I musta been running on fumes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Been down to zero before without the getting stuck. Fill up was about 18.X gallons. Not wise, but it was my revenge against the never ending "Fuel Low" warnings I received every single minute.

Originally Posted by AlB' post='501829' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:26 AM
and the fill-up was 16.7 gallons.

I did not check the manual for fuel capacity, does anyone know top of their head?

al
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530xi, Navigation, HUD, Premium Pack, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, Satellite, Logic7, Rear Side Airbags, PDC

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='501883' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:12 PM
Someone recently published tips on pumping gas. One pointed out that it was optimal to fill the tank when it is half full to minimize evap.

I don?t let the tank run down too often anyway but it was good advice (except when I was trying to empty the tank and get to Bremerhaven a few weeks ago)
The Red Cross recommends that you keep 'at least 1/2 tank of gas' on-hand on a regular basis in case of emergency.

Something to think about if you are in a hurricane, tornado, earthquake or terrorist-prone area. (I went from earthquakes to terrorism, with about equal chances. ) An e60 can come in handy during those 'get out as soon as possible' disaster-planning scenarios, but of course depending on how fast you can bug out you will likely be sitting in traffic along with the rest of humanity.

scooterdog
Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='501904' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:28 PM
Even though I don't follow this rule very well, I've been told by BMW techs that it's also not a good idea to run with an empty tank because the fuel pump that's submerged in the tank will run hotter and wear out faster since it's not being cooled by the liquid fuel in the tank.

I must say that this concept makes sense to me but I've never had fuel pump issues in any of my BMWs and I, as I said, I generally don't follow the "keep your tank full" rule very often. Maybe the second or third owners of my cars have had problems but at this point, I haven't a clue.

(If I had to keep my tank full or half-full, I'd be getting gas every other day, I think... )

Rudy +1 - same story I've heard on my previous (non-BMW) vehicles as well - must keep fuel pump cool.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by scooterdog' post='501966' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:14 PM
The Red Cross recommends that you keep 'at least 1/2 tank of gas' on-hand on a regular basis in case of emergency.

Something to think about if you are in a hurricane, tornado, earthquake or terrorist-prone area. (I went from earthquakes to terrorism, with about equal chances. ) An e60 can come in handy during those 'get out as soon as possible' disaster-planning scenarios, but of course depending on how fast you can bug out you will likely be sitting in traffic along with the rest of humanity.

scooterdog

That's were my CRF 450X comes in handy That "beast" will climb a tree
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='502297
Even though I don't follow this rule very well, I've been told by BMW techs that it's also not a good idea to run with an empty tank because the fuel pump that's submerged in the tank will run hotter and wear out faster since it's not being cooled by the liquid fuel in the tank.

I must say that this concept makes sense to me but I've never had fuel pump issues in any of my BMWs and I, as I said, I generally don't follow the "keep your tank full" rule very often. Maybe the second or third owners of my cars have had problems but at this point, I haven't a clue.

(If I had to keep my tank full or half-full, I'd be getting gas every other day, I think... )
Rudy +1 - same story I've heard on my previous (non-BMW) vehicles as well - must keep fuel pump cool.
[/quote]
+1 on both these comments. I have heard the same on other cars as well. An additional factor is the danger that your fuel pump, at that low fuel state, be ingesting air as well as fuel. Not good for the pump and fuel system, apparently.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

+2 on the fuel pump. My sister's Pontiac had a fuel pump failure after only 2 years and 26,000 miles. The mechanic attributed it to her running on fumes before every fill up.

Also, for those of you who live in colder climates where temps are frequently below zero in the winter you may not wanna run all the way down to complete empty.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

I recently had "0km remaining" on my display, and it turned out that I still had 2 liters at that point, which can be up to 40km with a 520d (!). See my post about this.

The other day I was bored driving to work (too busy on the road for "Freude am fahren") and played a bit with the instrument cluster menu. I found out that you can get a reading of both tanks, both the ADC values and the calculated amount of liters remaining. I'll use that the next time I have a "0 km remaining" warning.

Did you know that the E60 has 2 fuel tanks and 2 seperate fuel level sensors?

Tim