E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I miss the iDrive....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take my car back in today for some "creaking" sound in the steering and there is something hanging off the bottom of the car.... almost directly in the middle and about the size of a license plate (maybe a bit larger). Anyway, they give me a 328Xi as a loaner. Not a bad little car, but man do I miss the iDrive. It is amazing how second nature the iDrive becomes and then someone takes it away and I feel lost. I still cannot figure out why the car mags often still list the iDrive as a "con".
Does anyone here not like the iDrive? Just curious.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I like the idrive, took some time to get used to, but I find it very useful and functional...

hope everything with your car gets resolved....
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

I had a 328i as a loaner and I definitely missed my idrive too. However I did like the little holder thing in the middle of the console in the 3 series. I found it useful for putting my phone in amongst other things. I had a similar creaking issue and they replaced my steering assembly. Hope you car comes back quick.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Members

When I first had to use iDrive I hated it.

Thought it was ponitless, annoying and a lot of work just to do simple things such as change radio station.

Now can't do without it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

I had the pleasure of having a test drive in the new Merc C class. It has a similar system. Soon as I started the engine I thought lets see how good this is. To my horror it was incredibly slow to load and as for its functionality, its not to BMW standards.

I was a little hesitant on the I Drive, however I'm in IT and love it... although could be a little dangerous trying to use it on the go. However the new versions on the LCI's incorporate favourites which would sort that out!

Big up the original and best computer management system!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport 177BHP Jet Black Grey Dakota Leather MZ5P Media Package M676 HiFi Speakers M588 Electric Lumbar Supports M6FL USB Interface M439 Brushed Aluminium Trim

iDrive is great you just need to become familiar with it... like a new mobile phone unless its a nokia N95 that cannot send its address book to the car

What about the voice recognition it can be a pain
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

As jssimmons and others would probably suggest, iDrive may not yet be "great!" but it is good in my judgment and way ahead of many of the alternatives. I do think it can seem a little kluged and goofy in some ways when you first use it, but quickly becomes instrumental to your ultimate driving experience.

Cal
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530i Titanium Silver with Dakota Leather,Sport , Cold Weather, Premium Package, Logic 7,

my car is in for some minor wiper adjustment and i can say i'm not worried about the idrive not being there since the dealer gave me a 335xi for a loaner. i have been having too much fun driving this car.

all i can say is wow, i might just sell my 530 to get a 535
Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Members

I'm coming from an 2006 e90 with no iDrive and I have to say, within a few weeks, it has become second nature. I think that people who are not good with computers have problems using the iDrive.

On the downside, I think the Computer that governs the Voice recognition and the ipod interface is insanely slow compared to my e90. Not to mention how horrifically LAME the iPod control is. It cannot come close to loading all of my playlists, artists and songs. BMW really cheaped out on adapting the e60 for the iPod!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

You may be right on the iPod control, but honestly I only have about 3000 songs by about 60 different artists on my iPod, and it shows each and every one of them, including the approximately 10 playlists I use. Good enough for my needs, but if I were to start filling up this 80gb hard drive it may be a different story. In order of listening hours, my use of the systems is 1) iPod 2) Sirius and 3) HD FM. Reg FM, AM and WX don't get used, nor does the CD player. Cal

Quick Reply: I miss the iDrive....