E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I have a new found appreciation for my E60.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='977459' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:38 AM
First of all who pays for food at Mcdonalds with a travelers check? no wonder they couldn't figure out what you were asking. I haven't seen a travelers check since about 1980. Also when traveling abroad you may want to keep in mind that not everyone will understand your particular dialect of English.
Rodders,

Not that I need to justify myself to you or anything but I didnt have any cash, I had left my cards in the safe. I wouldnt normally pay this way in MacD's but i hadnt initially intended to stop there. Most places accept American Express Traveller cheques the same way they would take cash, why wouldn't McD's be the same. Regarding your comment about English dialect, in my line of work i have to work with people from India, China, USA, Canada as well as other parts of the UK mostly via telephone and face to face. Never had any problems communicating there.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='977459' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:38 AM
I've been to Scotland and don't recall getting annoyed that not everyone had studied up on American accents just to ease my passage.
Whatever mate, guess we're all different eh.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='977378' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:57 AM
I have been in Florida the last couple of weeks on holiday, I decide to upgrade my hire car to a convertible. All I have to say is OMG what a piece of crap, I got the car from Dollar and I ended up changing it 4 times due to stuff being faulty in the list below:

1st car - Shaky steering at 60 + very noticeable vibration through brake pedal when braking + steering pulls to the right + hand prints all over paint work (the car looked like a clunker).
2nd car - Didnt even leave the hire place due noticing the front bumper being loose at the front + missing seat adjuster button.
3rd car - I was happy with this car until it ate my brand new cd + knocking noises at low speeds. Wasnt looking to have it changed but they swapped it out anyway.
4th car - Smelt terrible + shaky steering + more dents on the bodywork than a destruction derby car.

I am still deciding whether to write a complaint letter or not, the attitude of the customer service people was the worst i have even seen. The girl at the Jetport branch was very nice and helpful, I did waste 2 days of my holiday driving to different dollar depots though. I heard that they are keeping their cars longer than normal due to the recession, i really shows.

When I got home I took may car out for a drive to my local Maplin, I came back on the motorway. I love the smoothness of the ride in my car, maybe thats why I was so miffed with the hire cars they couldnt even look at my E60 .
If you have Hertz's Prestige division, rent from them next time. Here in the US the have BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I had an Audi A6 for 10 days, it was interesting but still couldn't wait to come home to my E60.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Hi Bob, i had the same with the accent thing but i put it down to i either i sound like a scot or irish, it was fun explaining and i wasn't offended to much apart from when id not had a cig, upps!!! we hired from Avis and they where great except the price, but we did have a brand new Mustang for the week though and i forgot my sat nav so that was more expence!!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rislar' post='977565' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Bob, i had the same with the accent thing but i put it down to i either i sound like a scot or irish, it was fun explaining and i wasn't offended to much apart from when id not had a cig, upps!!! we hired from Avis and they where great except the price, but we did have a brand new Mustang for the week though and i forgot my sat nav so that was more expence!!
Hi mate, I have used dollar 4 times now and their cars have tended to be ok for a holiday run around. I spoke to the rep at one of the depots who told me that due to the recession they are keeping their cars longer rather than buying new ones, this was giving them alot of problems over the last few months. The issue i have with dollar is that i paid extra for an upgrade but the condition of the cars and the trouble i had didnt make it seem like much of an upgrade, you should have seen the wobble on the steering of the first car + the pull to the right and the vibration when braking I dont think the car was safe to be on the road let alone rented out. The funny thing is that i saw the same car at my hotel 2 or 3 days later, i recon they put it straight back out (i just hope they checked it for safety before renting it out to someone else).

I will probably use avis or hertz next time.

I will never complain about my car again.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by South Pasadena' post='977506' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:51 AM
If you have Hertz's Prestige division, rent from them next time. Here in the US the have BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I had an Audi A6 for 10 days, it was interesting but still couldn't wait to come home to my E60.
I will definately be checking out the prestige section for next time, just hope i dont land a MB. Audi not so bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Hey guys,

I just got an email from Dollar following up on my complaint, they are refunding me the full upgrade cost of $267. It pays to make a complaint every now and then, I am well pleased.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I rented a 'vette from Hertz last year for the Ohio State USC game, and had a ball baking the tires on every on ramp to every freeway in LA. Dear wife commented though....is it really necessary to do this EVERY time?"
Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 grey 530i..mods so far are pretty basic stuff- 20% tints, 20" Cattivos, Eibach springs, 8000k xenons (pics to come)

Bob,
Rental cars are rental cars for a reason. They pass through many different hands so if it has a few scratches, or hand prints, dirt on it, what do you really expect. You are renting the car for couple days to get around town, its not like you're purchasing the car. Deal with it. Although some rental cars maybe beat up cosmetic wise most are mechanically sound due to being fleet maintained. Yeah Im sure none of the cars are gonna be as nice as your e60 but youre RENTING a car. Not all rentals can be brand new vehicles. And most rental companies purchase the most basic models of the cars in order to have the the cheapest most affordable rates. A hertz, dollar, enterprise, avis, more the likely your gonna get something less the desireable.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Get One' post='1005914' date='Sep 12 2009, 09:38 PM
Bob,
Rental cars are rental cars for a reason. They pass through many different hands so if it has a few scratches, or hand prints, dirt on it, what do you really expect. You are renting the car for couple days to get around town, its not like you're purchasing the car. Deal with it. Although some rental cars maybe beat up cosmetic wise most are mechanically sound due to being fleet maintained. Yeah Im sure none of the cars are gonna be as nice as your e60 but youre RENTING a car. Not all rentals can be brand new vehicles. And most rental companies purchase the most basic models of the cars in order to have the the cheapest most affordable rates. A hertz, dollar, enterprise, avis, more the likely your gonna get something less the desireable.
Like you stated I am not buying a car i am renting one, I couldnt give a sh!t about the appearance of the car as long as i dont get a bill at the end of the rental for stuff i didnt do. When it comes to driving a rental if the car doesnt feel safe then i have every right to complain and ask for a replacement. I wasnt too pleased with the cosmetics but the drivability was the issue, car number 3 was much better than the others and i could have lived with it had it not ate my new CD. The hire company chose to replace the car, i wasnt specifically asking for the car to be changed.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, but my opinion has left me $267 better off.

Quick Reply: I have a new found appreciation for my E60.