E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I have just joined the door seal problem club

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I had been hearing about the door seals every since I got mine approx 1 year ago. No problems. Then last month I got my first squeek in the drivers door. Very slight and not all the time.

So, at my 15k service, put the new door seals in. Done.

That was about 1k ago. Now, I just started hearing the squeek again, and it seems worse. Maybe I should have left it alone.

So, my question is this: how many people who got the new door seals are still having problems? Is the new seal not the solution?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Aug 4 2005, 12:40 PM
~Rear parcel shelf rattle - 90% cured but I think there is still some rattle - need to drive more tomorrow.
[snapback]156052[/snapback]
Did they say what they did?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Members

How come I don't hear anything? What do these problems you guys have sound like?
My car was bought end of March (was just shipped to the dealer the day that I bought it) so I'm not sure about the production date.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by BSME60Lady' date='Aug 4 2005, 08:03 PM
How come I don't hear anything? What do these problems you guys have sound like?
My car was bought end of March (was just shipped to the dealer the day that I bought it) so I'm not sure about the production date.
[snapback]156217[/snapback]
Got my 2005 530i about the same time as you. 3600 miles on the car and NO noises thus far. Guess we should consider ourselves lucky.

Martin
Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by BSME60Lady' date='Aug 4 2005, 08:03 PM
[snapback]156217[/snapback]
Best way to describe the sound is more of a "creak" than a "squeak". Reminds me of the sound of walking on a wood floor in an old house. Mine started creaking at around the 1 year/10,000 mile mark and has worsened over time. I have creak in all 4 windows/doors with worst being the driver's window and right rear window.

As for the rear parcel shelf, this is definitely a "squeak". After having dealer remove and reinstall back seat, replace seat brackets, (3 times!), I finally gave up and got some heavy corregated cardboard, folded it to make a shim, colored it black to match interior and wedged it between rear shelf and seat back, and problem solved. I can not stand any creaks, rattles, squeaks in any of my cars, which is why I always buy BMW, but my car is horrible.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Arrived 24 Sept 2003 Olivin Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Active Steering, Automatic Gearbox, Adaptive Headlights, Alloy Wheels 122, Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext, Dynamic Drive, Through Load System, Lumbar Support - fr seats, Xenon Headlamps, Space Saver With Jack, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Maple Wood

Have all four seals changed two dyas ago but I started to hear my passenger door seal cracing today again. I link it to the rain at night before. Do not know what I should do next.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Couldn't agree more with the old wood floor comparison, holy shit, is it bad or am I just that pucky.

e60 = old wooden ship...
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jeffnin' date='Aug 5 2005, 12:40 PM
As for the rear parcel shelf, this is definitely a "squeak". After having dealer remove and reinstall back seat, replace seat brackets, (3 times!), I finally gave up and got some heavy corregated cardboard, folded it to make a shim, colored it black to match interior and wedged it between rear shelf and seat back, and problem solved. I can not stand any creaks, rattles, squeaks in any of my cars, which is why I always buy BMW, but my car is horrible.?
[snapback]156424[/snapback]

As for my rear parcle shelf I tried wedging socks in the back and it made no improvement... so I dunno how to fix mine by myself...
Old 08-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

It's interesting to me that there is still so much trouble with the door seals squeaking. And, this is not a problem that is unique to the E60. My brother bought a 540 in '98, and had problems way back then. The fixes were about the same as they are now. First, they tried lubing the seals, and ultimately, they replaced them. Where are the BMWNA people that are lurking on this board with respect to this problem? And, really, why is this such a tough issue to resolve? I've had the carboflo treatment three times, and now I'm waiting for new seals to come in to my dealer, as the squeak is back. After reading some of these posts, I'm a bit nervous about having them installed......if it's worse than before I'll kick myself!

I love my car, but noises drive me crazy, and my car (and apparently many others' cars) has way too many little squeaks and rattles. I guess it's hard to know if the new seals are a long term fix since they have only been out a few months....but there seems to be way too many people that had the new seals installed that are back to experiencing sqeaks....
Old 08-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

My high tech 545 sounds like an, old creaking wooden ship at sea. I vote that BMW bans beer breaks for the engineers and factory workers until they get this annoying problem fixed. I would be happy to trade all the fancy, electronic sh1t on my car for a quiet cabin. BMW has too many engineers working on the fancy stuff and not enough on the basics, like functional door seals and tires that do not sound like a truck.

Quick Reply: I have just joined the door seal problem club