E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I had a terrible day with my M5!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Sorry to hear about the bummer experience, Mark. Hope you get her fixed and back on the road in no time. Have a good trip to Canada
+1. That blows Mark but at least you find the positive in a lousy situation. This is why I would not own a BMW outside of warranty. Without the warranty I can only imagine what the repair costs would be for this.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
+1. That blows Mark but at least you find the positive in a lousy situation. This is why I would not own a BMW outside of warranty. Without the warranty I can only imagine what the repair costs would be for this.

Scott depending on what it is it could cost up to $10K out of warranty for the "Red Cog of Death" warning. I read about a ton of different things that it could be over on the M5board. Even the "cheap" fixes for anything that I've read about is $1K+.

I'm so glad it's CPO'd. After this experience I'm sure I'll be looking to move on once I get past the 90K mile mark. Then I'll buy a CPO'd 2010.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

man that sucks mate, i hope she all fixed for you soon.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Glad that BMW took care of you and I hope they get you back on the road soon. I would've taken them up on the 535 loaner...those are fun cars to drive!

That is the worst fear with the smg's. I'll say it again...you must have a warranty(aftermarket or cpo) with these cars! Unless you have $15k lying around.

Now can anyone find me a M5 6spd MT?
w
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Contributors

All I gotta say is thank god that M5 is under warranty. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE COST OF A NEW TRANS + LABOR FOR AN M5? LOL............ RE-FI your house!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by DrLev99
Sorry, Mark....I've had my car towed 3 times in the past 8 months or so, with throttle issues, and 3 different "tow" pics like the one you posted. . It's embarrassing sitting there by the side of the road. Hope it all works out.
are you still having problems? let me know whats going on, im lcky to say we havent had any.. cept im without my car right now anyways, mark, i hope you find out what happened real quick.. as were all very curious.. what happened, why, will it happen again..

and for the record it will never ever feel good to see your car towed on a flatbed.. never..lol
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Back from vacation I have some good news. (I think)

The M is back from the dead. BMW of Newport was fantastic throughout the process. It's fixed and as good as new, but after seeing what the bill might have been I am definitely going to get rid of it a few thousand miles before my CPO runs out. I was already planning on that, but after this it's a total no brainer. I'm guessing around 95K miles and it will be see you later to this M. The dealer had to replace the SMG pump and a few other things. The total would have been about $3900 if I wasn't under warranty.

I can't imagine anyone owning one of these cars without a warranty. If you are one of those owners I wish you luck.

I didn't miss driving it much since I was on vacation in Canada anyway. I'm glad to have it back though...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by providenceleaf
Back from vacation I have some good news. (I think)

The M is back from the dead. BMW of Newport was fantastic throughout the process. It's fixed and as good as new, but after seeing what the bill might have been I am definitely going to get rid of it a few thousand miles before my CPO runs out. I was already planning on that, but after this it's a total no brainer. I'm guessing around 95K miles and it will be see you later to this M. The dealer had to replace the SMG pump and a few other things. The total would have been about $3900 if I wasn't under warranty.

I can't imagine anyone owning one of these cars without a warranty. If you are one of those owners I wish you luck.

I didn't miss driving it much since I was on vacation in Canada anyway. I'm glad to have it back though...
To be honest, this isn't even that bad of a repair bill..

I remember back in 2001 or 2002, I was quoted for a rebuilt transmission by Acura on my 1997 3.0 CL @5,100 dollars. Independants wanted 4,500. That was 10 years ago.

All transmission related stuff is major dough, even for modest cars. If the SMG pump is the only problem area with the SMG tranny on the M5, I would say its not that bad for repair costs, when compared to the alternatives. Also, since it was just repaired, even better!

I do agree that owning a car out of warranty can be pretty harrowing if you do not have funds to cover such repairs. This is why a lot of people lease and forget about it nowadays.

Congrats on getting your car back, and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
To be honest, this isn't even that bad of a repair bill..

I remember back in 2001 or 2002, I was quoted for a rebuilt transmission by Acura on my 1997 3.0 CL @5,100 dollars. Independants wanted 4,500. That was 10 years ago.

All transmission related stuff is major dough, even for modest cars. If the SMG pump is the only problem area with the SMG tranny on the M5, I would say its not that bad for repair costs, when compared to the alternatives. Also, since it was just repaired, even better!

I do agree that owning a car out of warranty can be pretty harrowing if you do not have funds to cover such repairs. This is why a lot of people lease and forget about it nowadays.

Congrats on getting your car back, and enjoy!
Thanks, but $3900 was only for the SMG pump. There have been many clutch failures due to SMG pump failures. I suppose BMW got lucky and my clutch was not damaged so they did not replace it. (It would have been nice to get a new clutch though) Typically this kind of failure has a $8K-$10K repair cost.

BTW...$5100 on a 97 CL tranny?!?! I had a 2003 TL type-S tranny replaced (under warranty) dealer paperwork said $3500 and that was 5 years ago...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Damn...glad you got it all sorted out man...

Quick Reply: I had a terrible day with my M5!