E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I had to add a quart and I'm worried.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='663759' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:47 PM
My 550 was going through a quart every 5-7K as well. Oil consumption decreased dramatically when I hit 30K miles. I wouldn't worry about it, it is completely normal for our cars to burn a bit of oil.

I think most members change their oil themselves halfway between the recommended interval, myself included.

BTW, M5's go through oil almost as fast as they go through gasoline.
+1 I asked the same question on my M5 its pretty normal.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I have not had to add oil in my 545i but the X5 I had to add periodically...asked the X5 forum guys and they say it is normal for BMW engines. Asked the dealer and they say it is normal for BMW engines..
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

It is normal for BMW engines to need a quart in between changes. M models may need several. It does depend on how hard its driven. My X3 3.0 is driven in the city and rarely hard, it did go the entire way to a change without needing a quart. My 550i did need a quart at 8000 miles. In both cases, (having 2 cars) I don't get to the mileage, I get to an annual change first (between 8k & 11k miles). Oil usage should level out after 30k miles. My '02 M5 needed a quart every 3k miles until 30k miles and then went 5k miles.

BTW, if it were me and a new car under warranty, even CPO, I'd ONLY use BMW approved full synthetics. They source from Mobile 1 and/or Castrol so those would be OK IMHO for self changes. Who knows the effect of switching to non-synthetics later. Most knowledgeable folks I know say DON'T do that. The oiling/lubing characteristics are different and excessive wear/consumption may be the result. YMMV.

Also, BTW, many M owners do change the oil in between the BMW recommendation. IE, 6k-7k miles. Once again it depends on driving style, if driven hard or always in stop-and-go traffic with short runs (10 miles or less) its a good idea to do so. Its not necessary in BMW's mind but for a long term keeper, it sure wouldn't hurt. On the otherhand, 3k or 5k changes with full synthetics is overkill and likely a waste of money. Even the BMW Performance Center (who takes meticulous care of their fleet) doesn't do that. They may not even do a mid term change but then again only keep the cars for a year or two. Note that full sythetics maintain 100% lube characteristics well into their duty cycle. Non-synthetics do not.

PS: Most of this advice comes from folks on m5board.com. There are several members whose career is/has been in the oil industry. Plus there have been mucho threads discussing this topic and reporting actual oil analysis. Yes, if you are paranoid, you can drain the oil and ship it to places that analyze the oil for particles, lube characteristics, etc. The general consensus is the synthetics DO last 10k or more miles under normal driving, even M style driving.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='663857' date='Sep 7 2008, 07:20 AM
BTW, if it were me and a new car under warranty, even CPO, I'd ONLY use BMW approved full synthetics. They source from Mobile 1 and/or Castrol so those would be OK IMHO for self changes. Who knows the effect of switching to non-synthetics later. Most knowledgeable folks I know say DON'T do that. The oiling/lubing characteristics are different and excessive wear/consumption may be the result. YMMV.
Switching to a non-synthetic during the break-in period is common. A synthetic like Mobil one is still dino oil, but unlike mineral oils, are recombined with synthetic base chemicals (esters, aromatics, and PAO) to produce a much more uniform molecular structure, able to hold up under higher temps and maintain viscosity at lower temps. Under normal driving, using a non-synthetic will NOT hurt the motor. Yes, it has more contaminants and will be more likely to add to buildup in the heads, not flow well in the winter, etc.... Season and driving style being the same, ultimately a good clean lubrican't is a good clean lubricant.

This argument between synthetics vs. non-synthetics is the same as Chevy v. Ford, 9mm vs. .45, or the AR v. AK.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't had to do it in the past I'm willing bet the last oil change the mechanic just put a tad less in on accident. It doesn't take much.

BMW engines seem to be really hit or miss on oil consumption. For every 10 people that put a quart in between each oil changes. 10 never have to. You'd think with the way engines are produce today that it would be basically equal for every engine but it isn't.

Like someone else I'd won't be worried unless you got a little blue smoke coming out of the exhaust all of a sudden or if you have to start putting in two quarts.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

I too had to add a quart in my '08 535 at about 5K miles...everyone thinks is normal, but I don't really believe it's normal for that amount of oil consumption... (I had an old 351C V8 Mustang many years ago with 300K miles on it and it would burn 1qt per 5K miles due to worn valve seals - that's what I would consider normal oil useage).

I take solace in the fact that so many others seem be in the same boat with their BMW engines and I change mine with the BMW oil at half the intervals - so every other oil change is on me - but the peace of mind is definitley worth it. None of my other new cars over the past several years have burned any oil...my Shelby GT500 (5.4L V8 S/C) doesn't and I drive that car agressively...go figure
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Wow... sounds like I've been granny-ing the car Looks like I need to push her a li'l more.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I had the oil light come up on my 07 530 a few times, even after a recent service visit. I too, drove that car hard. Just keep a quart in your trunk, just in case, for future needs and you should be all set. i wouldn't worry too much.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys! Great info as always. =p
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='663759' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:47 PM
BTW, M5's go through oil almost as fast as they go through gasoline.
The gasoline is obviously true, but in my case after 6200 miles, I've only burned up 1/2 quart of oil in the M5. However I know of someone whose M5 ate up 10 quarts after 11,000 miles! Ouch.

On the other hand, my old 550 burned up only 2 quarts in 49000 miles.

Quick Reply: I had to add a quart and I'm worried.