E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive shorted out

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005 | 07:37 AM
Members

Yesterday I was driving along talking on the phone via bluetooth, when the system dropped my call and the I Drive screen went completely blank. About 20 seconds later, it rebooted up again and now everything seems to be normal. My car is 2 months old, 2300 miles. should I be worried? Has this happened to anybody else?
Old 07-01-2005 | 07:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Not me.. Although I have had it "not respond", resolved after a reboot. Never had the screen go blank as you mentioned.
Old 07-01-2005 | 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've had the same issue with an older software version (V12.X). Since the latest updates I've had no more problems..
Old 07-01-2005 | 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 1 2005, 09:37 AM
Yesterday I was driving along talking on the phone via bluetooth, when the system dropped my call and the I Drive screen went completely blank. About 20 seconds later, it rebooted up again and now everything seems to be normal. My car is 2 months old, 2300 miles. should I be worried? Has this happened to anybody else?
[snapback]144997[/snapback]
Its happened to me once....its quite possible that it can happen again but it will be very rare. What can i say, I-Drive is just too complex for the world today
Old 07-01-2005 | 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 525I, Silver Gray, Premium Package, Sport Package, NoNav, PDC,SAT, Bluetooth, Heated Seats, Tinted Windows, looking for 124 or 166 Wheels

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 1 2005, 07:37 AM
It happened to me last month and found out that the Idrive mechanism that is located under the spare tire got wet (washing the trunk water leak under the spare!) and shorted out. Just replaced it and solved the problem!
Old 07-01-2005 | 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Do you guys know that the Idrive runs on Windows CE? Well that is what I have heard at least.
Old 07-01-2005 | 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 1 2005, 10:37 AM
It happened to me 6 months ago, the i-Drive went completely blank/dark (stereo stopped playing too) for about 2 hours. After I came back from restaurant and started the car everything was back to normal. However, it happened again few weeks later, after which I took my car to the dealer and got the software updated.
Old 07-01-2005 | 12:48 PM
Members

When you have your software updated, do you lose all of your presets in I Drive? How long does the dealer keep the car for?
Old 07-02-2005 | 02:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Sport Auto, May 2005, Silver Grey, Black Leather, Media Pack (Sat Nav Pro, Bluetooth Prep for T630, BMW Assist, 6 CD)

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 1 2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, I have had my car 6 weeks and the i-drive has crashed 3 three times with the same symptoms (also with loss of volume control on the stereo for about 30 seconds). It is going in to the dealer on Monday, so I'll let you know what they do (if anything). One thing I have tried and it seems to have improved i-drive speed and stability in the last week or so, was to reduce the size of the address book on my phone - this of course could be a coincidence, but it now only takes about 10 minutes to sync up rather than 45.
Old 07-02-2005 | 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 1 2005, 03:37 PM
It does happen occasionally. Latest versions (17.xx) are reported to be more robust. Mine (16.1) has not crashed ... yet

I've also had to use "CTRL-ALT-DEL" 2 or 3 times with 13.3 to get the NAV to wake-up correctly.

Quick Reply: I Drive shorted out