E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-Drive screen blank

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Hi guys,

Long time since my last post, just wondeirtng if anyone can help, i jumped in the car today and the I-drive screen is blank, no display, no radio, no parking sensors???

Before i take it to the dealer is it possibe to reset or anything else i should try???
Old 10-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Check to see if you had one of the steering whee buttons programmed to shut off the display and maybe you hit it accidentally. Other than that, try shutting off the engine and lock the car for 20 minutes or more to shut off all the electronics. Than you should try the Idrive reset procedure (do a search here). If none of this works, plan on spending about $2K for a new iDrive if you're out of warranty. G/L, keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had this happen to me and took it tho the dealer and the fixed it by giving me the latest idrive update, and I haven't had the issue since.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

reset idrive is hold the mute button (volume button pushed in) , dvd eject, and cd eject SIMULTANEOUSLY
Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys!

I took the car to the dealer this afternoon and they hooked it up to the diagnostics, they said it is not a software issue and may be the power to the MASK unit or the unit itself, they told me a new unit is 6K which made me feel very sick. They want the car for a couple of days to take the MASK unit out and test it.

Anyone else had the same problem?

I hate the fact that you have no way of chekcing if what these guys tell you is true or otherwise
Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

6k for a screen? damn.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='1041762' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys!

I took the car to the dealer this afternoon and they hooked it up to the diagnostics, they said it is not a software issue and may be the power to the MASK unit or the unit itself, they told me a new unit is 6K which made me feel very sick. They want the car for a couple of days to take the MASK unit out and test it.

I hate the fact that you have no way of chekcing if what these guys tell you is true or otherwise
Wow, 6K seems quite steep. If they determine that you need this, is there a reputable independent BMW shop you could take it to?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access, L7 Sound 2004 FX35, Sports Package, Stillen CAI

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='1041762' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys!

I had the same thing happen to me twice. Once I left the car off (i had to go into the store) and when I started it up, it was fine. The second time it happened, I brought the car straight to BMW and the dealer said that my screen may need to be replaced (3K US) and they had an open case about it with BMW Corporate. They ended up doing an update and it's worked fine so far.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chosenone357' post='1042261' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:40 AM
I had the same thing happen to me twice. Once I left the car off (i had to go into the store) and when I started it up, it was fine. The second time it happened, I brought the car straight to BMW and the dealer said that my screen may need to be replaced (3K US) and they had an open case about it with BMW Corporate. They ended up doing an update and it's worked fine so far.
When the screen went dead did your PDC still work?

I have no screen however the PDC light comes on below the DVD slot but no audio or visual (of course) warning.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Members

I have the same problem. I had the Ipod connectivity option put in with Idrive control. Ever since then, every now and then, it goes blank, roughly once every 3-4 months. It used to do it often so I took it to BMW and the updated the software but occasionally it still happens. All I do is let the car sit for 20-30 minutes and it resets.

Quick Reply: I-Drive screen blank