E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive Screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Just curious if anyone else see this. My iDrive screen will cutoff and then back on. I say this is about a one second blink or so. The strange thing is, it seems to be getting more common or happening 2-3 times during the day. I've seen it in the past with my other cars but not often. I can't tie it to anything such as a bump etc as it just seems to randomly happen. I know in my service window it shows that my brakes are due in ~300 miles and was wondering if this blinking is associated with this. I don't think it is but I could be wrong.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Might be a failing CID....I've had similar inconsistencies that ultimately led to failure. Let me know when/if it dies and I can help you source a replacement.

When you say 'blink' does the entire screen turn off and back on, or just the image - does the backlight do this too?

Only other thing I can think of is a loose LVDS cable, but that's hard to imagine.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

When it blinks, the entire screen goes black and then back on again. I had this in another 5 series the other year. But this car seems to be doing it daily 2-3 times.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Do you have a destination way-point set that you are navigating to when this happens? What about traffic information? Are you picking up traffic info in your area when you are navigating to a destination?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Do you have a destination way-point set that you are navigating to when this happens? What about traffic information? Are you picking up traffic info in your area when you are navigating to a destination?
Yesterday was the first tiem an address was set. All other times prior just the radio was on.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

It might be a loose cable behind the CID or behind the MASK/CCC. I had that for a while. Finally figured which way to put the cable and get rid of the flicker. The cable is 30 or so bucks if its wearing off at the connections.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

How many volts is your alternator pumping out? (go to number 9 of the secret obc menu and check). I've read reports of over-voltage causing the iDrive screen to flicker and sometimes cause the speedo to go haywire. I was suffering from overvoltage @ 15V, but just yesterday my alternator has ultimately failed.

If your is alternator related, you might need to change the voltage regulator (£110 from Stealers).

New alternator from the stealers is an eye soring £672. ECP do reconditioned ones for £250. Ebay shows them coming to about £100.

Edit: Just realised tonyb635's from the states, lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Just curious if anyone else see this. My iDrive screen will cutoff and then back on. I say this is about a one second blink or so. The strange thing is, it seems to be getting more common or happening 2-3 times during the day. I've seen it in the past with my other cars but not often. I can't tie it to anything such as a bump etc as it just seems to randomly happen. I know in my service window it shows that my brakes are due in ~300 miles and was wondering if this blinking is associated with this. I don't think it is but I could be wrong.
If you still have the harness for your AV, that could be a sign of going bad or loose connection. I know you helped me to remove the trim in my car as I originally wanted to install Xcarlink box, it will do the job but they look very cheap, I am sure it is made in China not German design, that is why I decided to don't install the AV connectors as I afrid that cause issues in long term. Just a thought
Good luck
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport, Jet Black

My screen has been doing that for almost 3 years. Had it in the dealership a couple of times, 2 days the first time and about a week the next. They never figured it out. As tonyb says, it is completely random ... doesn't matter whether car is moving or not, or whether anything special is displayed on the screen. I don't have nav.

Initially, when it first started it occured maybe two or three times a week ... in daylight or in dark ... believe me, it is COMPLETELY RANDOM. No rough roads or movement required. It seemed to have stopped for about 6 months or so, until a couple of days ago when it did it one time again ... blinks off and then on in less than a second.

For a while, my wife thought I was nuts, and seeing things ... till she finally spotted it a couple of times.

Anyway, it doesn't affect the way it (iDrive) or the car operates, so I've given up worrying about it.

By the way, the car is a 2009 535i Sport with no mods.

Tony ... you are NOT alone!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

I will check a few things that you all have mentioned. I thought I would just throw this out there. Today it didn't do it at all but most days it will blink at least once. I had a 2010 535 co, car and it did this a couple of times over several months.

Quick Reply: I Drive Screen