5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   i Drive message (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/i-drive-message-3408/)

bklyn545 10-02-2004 10:41 PM

When in the actual entertainment section of the idrive my car displays a message "CAR PHONE" instead of the RDS on the bottom of the screen. In every other section RDS works fine. Does anyone else have this problem? I dont have and never had a phone in the car. My car is going for service next week so I wanted to know if this was fixable because the only other problem I have with the car is the CD in the dash reverting back to Track 1 when restarting the car.

alohalc 10-02-2004 10:54 PM

cd back to track 1 will be fixed by software update and i think your "phone" problem as well. please correct me if i'm wrong.

SueBMW 10-03-2004 09:59 AM

I had that on my car at first, but it did get fixed with a software update (a very early software update).

cprgolds 10-03-2004 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by bklyn545' date='Oct 3 2004, 12:41 AM
When in the actual entertainment section of the idrive my car displays a message "CAR PHONE" instead of the RDS on the bottom of the screen. In every other section RDS works fine. Does anyone else have this problem? I dont have and never had a phone in the car. My car is going for service next week so I wanted to know if this was fixable because the only other problem I have with the car is the CD in the dash reverting back to Track 1 when restarting the car.
[snapback]40749[/snapback]

FWIW, Mine does the exact same thing.

gdavis 10-03-2004 01:07 PM

From what others have said, you have an earlier software version in your iDrive. If you update it, you will loose RDS info in any screen. Apparently, the RDS signals were inconsistently used by the radio stations, and the newer software version eliminated them altogether.

So if you decide to update, you may loose the baby with the bathwater....

gonzo 10-03-2004 03:25 PM

hmmm, mine says "Portable"

Jimbo 10-03-2004 06:42 PM

I had an update in August and the RDS disappeared.

SueBMW 10-03-2004 06:59 PM

What's funny is that I never had RDS working until the very last software update on Wednesday. Of course, it doesn't work very well, but...

Wiu-Bimmer 10-03-2004 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 3 2004, 08:59 PM
What's funny is that I never had RDS working until the very last software update on Wednesday.? Of course, it doesn't work very well, but...
[snapback]41078[/snapback]

Does that means that RDS is back?
It used to work on mine before, then it stop working after latest update (Three weeks ago)

SueBMW 10-03-2004 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 3 2004, 09:25 PM
Does that means that RDS is back?
It used to work on mine before, then it stop working after latest update (Three weeks ago)
[snapback]41081[/snapback]

It might be, but the way my car has a mind of its own... As I said, I never had RDS before. It always just said "car phone." Then, when I got my car back on Thursday, there was a new box (when you go to set a station) that said RDS. It is also intermittently scrolling either the name of the station or the name of the song, but it gets hung up a lot and is wrong a lot. I have so many glitches with my car I wouldn't really look to me to be the expert on the subject!