E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-drive feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package
Thumbs up

I have read in some posts about "feedback in the i-drive knob. Also, I remember reading about a "posessed" knob that was spinning on it's own. So here is my question: does the knob have any feedback capabilities and if so is this only with Nav? (My knob dosen't appear to have anything moving it but me, but I don't have Nav.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Only if you have Professional NAV (Which is the only one available in the US). The iDrive knob that has feedback is called "high", not sure why. You cannot retrofit to that knob unless you do a NAV retrofit.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

IIRC they made a big deal of removing the feedback from the controller in LCI.

ABC
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='388827' date='Feb 8 2007, 12:20 PM
IIRC they made a big deal of removing the feedback from the controller in LCI.

ABC
Thanks ABC but, could you expand a little more on "they made a big deal"? Was it on a good way or bad? will it be better now or worse? Do people who have the feedback like it so much that they complained or people complained against it?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='388891' date='Feb 8 2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks ABC but, could you expand a little more on "they made a big deal"? Was it on a good way or bad?
It was big deal insofar as they even had to mention it in the launch documentation as a worthy item but it was a neutral statement.

ABC
Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I remember reading somewhere (but where?) that the reason why they removed feedback from LCI is because it caused the whole iDrive system to slow down as the CPU was spending too much time in monitoring and providing controller feedback.

Personally, I find it one of the nicest features of iDrive (the "centre" click on several controls, "end run" on scrolling lists etc.), but I do agree that current reaction times are too slow. However, I believe the right solution is a more powerful CPU (a dime a dozen) and more memory (even less), not removal of useful features! :thumbsdown:
Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='388990' date='Feb 8 2007, 05:50 PM
I remember reading somewhere (but where?) that the reason why they removed feedback from LCI is because it caused the whole iDrive system to slow down as the CPU was spending too much time in monitoring and providing controller feedback.

Personally, I find it one of the nicest features of iDrive (the "centre" click on several controls, "end run" on scrolling lists etc.), but I do agree that current reaction times are too slow. However, I believe the right solution is a more powerful CPU (a dime a dozen) and more memory (even less), not removal of useful features! :thumbsdown:
I think you're correct but it's likely that the simplest fix for an LCI was to drop the feature. Re-engineering a faster processor, etc. will likely be how they solve the problem in future models...

M-B got it right with the new S-class -- the controller responds quickly and still gives feedback when bumping into the "end" of a list of commands.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='388990' date='Feb 8 2007, 02:50 PM

I test drove a loaner e60 without the i-drive knob feedback. The system is as slow as my i-drive knob with feedback function.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='389318' date='Feb 9 2007, 12:31 PM
I test drove a loaner e60 without the i-drive knob feedback. The system is as slow as my i-drive knob with feedback function.
The car probably did not have the CCC either so it was not a new model. not a fair comparison.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='389318
The car probably did not have the CCC either so it was not a new model. not a fair comparison.
The car for sure did not have a CCC, right? Because cars with CCC and no feedback iDrive knob will not start showing up until March (From what I've read here)
I have no feedback iDrive knob (No NAV) and I consider my system to be OK, not fast, not slow, just fine. Can't compare cause I've never tested the system with feedback iDrive knob.

Quick Reply: I-drive feedback