E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

When the new 7 came out a few years ago, I test drove one and had the sales guy show me iDrive (in the parking lot!), and it was a bit complicated (and the fact that the sales guy didn't exactly know how to use it didn't help). When thinking about a new car, I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of having iDrive. I've had my car for 4 weeks now, and I think iDrive is great. The first day (setting up all the variables after reading the manual) takes a while, but so does that process on any new car with lots of technology. After that it's no big deal, and I actually think it's a very elegant solution.

I have nav with voice command, which makes things like switching to a different cd in the changer or switching from cd to radio very easy, but even without voice command, you can program one the 2 programmable buttons on the right side of the steering wheel (a diamond and a star as I recall) to switch between audio inputs, for example. And the iDrive control knob is in a much more convenient position than having to figure out which small button on a cluttered dash to press. Have you seen the new Carrera dash--something like 50 small buttons:
I Drive-center_console.jpg

I can see how my grandmother--who never used a PC in her life--wouldn't like iDrive. Then again, she's not BMW's target demographic.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, Silver Grey, Beige Leather, PDC, Sun Blinds On Order LCI 523iA, Jet Black, Beige Leather, Heated Seats, Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth, M Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:17 PM
Has anyone got an E60 without sat nav, bluetooth and A/c advanced. If so have you ever thought what a waste of time that big silver knob is?

Joking apart I love the I drive system and all the bad press it attracts. The British press say its difficult to operate - Difficult to operate! Theres only 2 x button's. It certainly breaks up long journeys and is a great talking point with passengers

Good idea? or not??????
[snapback]90207[/snapback]
I don't have the above options and I still think I-Drive is great, even if just for scrolling between radio stations & CD's it's worth it. No looking down for microscopic radio buttons (Kenwood ) to change station or Aux input.

I also makes the dash look a lot cleaner
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by black1444' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:44 PM
I love idrive. I would love to have COMAND (mercedes system similar to i-drive but less modern) in my company S500 here in hong kong. i wanted to get a 545i like my old one but it costs about 115k USD here base price. So i will have to stick with my big benz with a hole in the dash.

dont laugh
[snapback]90332[/snapback]

How come you don't have COMAND? In out country its standard (nav not inclus)
Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I like I-drive, and it works really well with voice command, in fact, I think voice command is the way of the future. I can do everything I need with voice and the steering wheel buttons, so I never take my eyes of the road and I never take my hands off the steering wheel.

Most controls that require a little input should be done before driving off, IMHO. For example, entering Nav data or adjusting the temp. To be honest, I just set the temp to automatic and let the car do the job, it is always at a comfortable temperature.

My biggest problem with I-drive? The slow load time, that is annoying, but I have Nav.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:29 AM
Most controls that require a little input should be done before driving off, IMHO.? For example, entering Nav data or adjusting the temp.? To be honest, I just set the temp to automatic and let the car do the job, it is always at a comfortable temperature.
[snapback]90472[/snapback]
Several people (and apparently at least one mag) have complained about having to adjust the temp with iDrive. I don't get it--my car has 2 knobs on the dash (one for driver and one for passenger) for controlling temp. I actually don't think there is a way to control the temp in iDrive. What am I missing?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:35 PM
[quote name='KenTO' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:29 AM']Most controls that require a little input should be done before driving off, IMHO.? For example, entering Nav data or adjusting the temp.? To be honest, I just set the temp to automatic and let the car do the job, it is always at a comfortable temperature.
Several people (and apparently at least one mag) have complained about having to adjust the temp with iDrive. I don't get it--my car has 2 knobs on the dash (one for driver and one for passenger) for controlling temp. I actually don't think there is a way to control the temp in iDrive. What am I missing?
[snapback]90473[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps that's for people that don't use the auto climate. I use auto climate all the time and also just adjust the temperature knobs - no need for iDrive. For those that don't use auto, then they need to use iDrive to set their vent settings, etc. Perhaps this is it? I can see it being a bit annoying, but I have not found a reason to NOT use auto so far. I have to say one of the best things about this car is how well the auto ventilation system works.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 15 2005, 01:30 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:35 PM'][quote name='KenTO' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:29 AM']Most controls that require a little input should be done before driving off, IMHO.? For example, entering Nav data or adjusting the temp.? To be honest, I just set the temp to automatic and let the car do the job, it is always at a comfortable temperature.
[snapback]90473[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps that's for people that don't use the auto climate. I use auto climate all the time and also just adjust the temperature knobs - no need for iDrive. For those that don't use auto, then they need to use iDrive to set their vent settings, etc. Perhaps this is it? I can see it being a bit annoying, but I have not found a reason to NOT use auto so far. I have to say one of the best things about this car is how well the auto ventilation system works.
[snapback]90496[/snapback]
[/quote]
You still don't need to use the i-drive because you don't need to change the vent settings often. I rarely us the Auto and even more rarely do I change the vent settings. I know I switched from cool air on the body to warm air sometime in the fall and I suppose I will switch it back in the spring.

Of course, if you were stupid enough to think you needed to adjust the temperature with the i-drive (and apparently some of the auto-mag. columnists are), I can see how it would be frustrating trying to figure out how to do it (because it isn't in there).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:41 PM
Of course, if you were stupid enough to think you needed to adjust the temperature with the i-drive (and apparently some of the auto-mag. columnists are), I can see how it would be frustrating trying to figure out how to do it (because it isn't in there).
[snapback]90522[/snapback]
Bingo!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 15 2005, 04:52 PM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:41 PM']Of course, if you were stupid enough to think you needed to adjust the temperature with the i-drive (and apparently some of the auto-mag. columnists are), I can see how it would be frustrating trying to figure out how to do it (because it isn't in there).
[snapback]90522[/snapback]
Bingo!!
[snapback]90535[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe it's the not very intuitive (at least to me at first) cooling or heating of the body vents that HAS to be done in iDrive - auto or not. Maybe that has people thinking it also controls the temperature for other things.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

Speaking of heating & iDrive, I have the cold weather package, and in iDrive, you can adjust the position of the heat on the bottom and back of the seats--I never heard of a car with heated seat backs!! How's that for more information than you needed...

Quick Reply: I Drive