E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi,

when I ordered my E61 one of my biggest thoughts was: Will I like iDrive? What about my Wife?

I tested iDrive in the very first 7series version when it was presented on the IAA. I hated it. Much to complicated etc.
Then I saw the Audi MMI. A copy of the concept, but improved - so I thought. I liked the direct Menu buttons for radio, phone, nav, etc. there. And the look of the map, etc.
Then I got my iDrive... testet it for some hours and asked myself: Why is MMI better? For what do they have all the buttons there?
MMI and iDrive follow the same concept (which DC copies now in the new S-Class): Instead having more and more buttons in the panel put them into an intuitive UI.
iDrive has - from my point of view - just one drawback against the Audi MMI: The speed. It should be 50% faster and it would be perfect.

In general: Astonishing what journalist write about the iDrive. They don't know the shortcuts to easily switch from Radio to Nav, don't know VoiceControl, etc. In one TV Show they've compared a complex address entry in MMI and iDrive: Both within one second range with a total of 1 Minute 8 Sec.

So: Get it, get used to it and love it !

regs
Volkmar
Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vstegmann' post='234790' date='Feb 4 2006, 09:17 PM
when I ordered my E61 one of my biggest thoughts was: Will I like iDrive? What about my Wife?
I hope you like your wife!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Carbon Black' post='234729' date='Feb 4 2006, 07:07 PM
Do you think it is as bad as the press reports say?

IDrive takes all of 30 minutes to master, its not intuitive or natural to use as a matter of fact is completely irratiional, a bit like using a Microsoft Product really. What baffles me is why we can not do a lot more with I Drive. Technically you coulds set up all the car settings in there, like suspension, steering, springs a little like a formula one car.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='234732' date='Feb 4 2006, 07:11 PM
Just imagine the press: they get onto a car, drive it for a while, but they would never read a manual.
Why should they have to read a manual to operate basic functions of the car?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I like the idrive, since I got my car, I have never had any problems, once I got used to all the gizmons and how they work...... it was good to go.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I love the I-drive. The best on board computer in my oppinion.
Today's cars are full of computers so no matter what brand you will buy there will be one to learn anyway. The I-drive takes a day to master it.
I love it. In the end much more efficient and easy then other systems where you have a single button for every function there is.....

After all more and more car manufactures will follow this concept sooner or later.... Simply there are too many functions today that you can not have extra single button for each therefore similar to I-drive concept is needed.

BMW was ahead for once again
Old 02-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i alpine white/beige, sport package, nav, premium sound, cold weather

Once I got used to it, it was a breeze.

I love it.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I think that at the start it can be little confusing even for a something of a techie if he or she is not willing to spend time playing with it. But, with experience, all becomes clear and easy. Part of the problem is that, like any computer system, it takes time to learn and remember what, and where, all the features are. Bottom line--I like it a lot--not that it couldn't be improved.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='235086' date='Feb 5 2006, 07:19 AM
BMW was ahead for once again
I love the above statement Peter. You aren't a kin or Yogi Berra are you? Just kidding. I am going to remember your statement and use it.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='234853
I hope you like your wife!
[/quote]
Come on... I don't like my wife.... I love her (and our 2 month old son )

regs
Volkmar
Old 02-05-2006, 11:41 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

i-drive is fine, I also read the press and was amazed at how easy it is to understand.

Most of the functions you will use rarely anyway unless you have nav.

Only problem is when I leave my 12 yr old daughter in the car for a few minutes. She never ceases to get amusement from hearing the speed limit alarm go off at 5 mph after she has played with it !!

Quick Reply: I DRIVE