E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I - Drive = I - Distract

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Mar 1 2005, 08:12 AM
I would still prefer a regular radio with a seek and preset? buttons. I hate having to go from presets to a seek/search.
[snapback]95561[/snapback]
Use the programmable buttons on the steering wheel there are great once you program in the right way to suit you.
Cheers
vern
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

iDrive definitely distracts. That being said, I have not been distracted enough to lose awareness. The secret is to do only one step in an operation at a time and to do it quickly. Learn IDrive while sitting still. Wait for traffic lights to program a new NAV location unless you can select from a list. I always make address book entries while sitting still. Train your mate to help. Good subject.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:59 AM
Anyone had a crash or near miss as a result of adjusting I - Drive whilst on the move?
Top Gear magazine in the UK seem to think we will!
[snapback]95553[/snapback]
I think all those Auto journalists did not spend enough time with I-drive to really comfortable with it. We, the owners use it everyday, so we have already memorized its essential operations.

Even with the long term tests (7 series), the journalist have condemned i-drive. I sense a little peer pressure contributing to this. Why disagree with the masses?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:41 AM
I love the iDrive.

I love it because it allows me to remain in a comfortable position while driving, and operating all the features of the car.

When I drive my E60, I rest my right elbow on the center arm rest.? I tend to use the shifter knob to change gears on my SMG, rather than the paddles.? With my arm on the armrest, the shifter is just a flick of the wrist.

Then, the iDrive controller is also right there in hands reach.? I am operate it without moving my right elbow.? I find this setup extremely comfortable.

BMW did an excellent job locating the screen so high in the dash.? Your eyes don't have to move as far from the road to view it.? Look at Mercedes as an example of a poorly located screen.? The E-class you have to look down halfway of the dash to see the screen.
[snapback]95571[/snapback]

I agree with your SubterFuse. I find that with my are resting on the armrest it is actually safer to control the various systems since I don't have to go out of my way to reach for the device controls. If you have to physically reach for the individual control knobs you are coordinating your hand-eyes on the knob and then shifting to the display of that device. Further, all displays are concentrated in an easy to read location, mounted high, so that you can peripherally see what's going on in front of you. No problems to report here, in fact, I would say it makes driving much safer. That said, you shouldn't drive mile #1 until you understand the system...the road is no place for a learning curve (no pun).
Old 03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:59 AM
.....Top Gear magazine in the UK seem to think we will!....
They need to RTFM and learn to use the voice command. <_<
Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I have not had a problem with distraction due to iDrive. I did get a bit distracted one time due to Nav, but that could happen in any car. I really don't see how anyone with computer experience would have a problem with it. As has been said previously, you learn the essentials pretty fast and anything complicated (infrequent) you can do at a stop light or in your garage.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Mar 1 2005, 12:45 PM
I have not had a problem with distraction due to iDrive.? I did get a bit distracted one time due to Nav, but that could happen in any car.? I really don't see how anyone with computer experience would have a problem with it.? As has been said previously, you learn the essentials pretty fast and anything complicated (infrequent) you can do at a stop light or in your garage.
[snapback]95672[/snapback]
And speaking of nav in any car - that is just it, any car with nav is or can be more of a distraction. Nav is not unique to iDrive. It is more a high end or heavy optioned car and that equalizes across auto mfrs. I would content that the height of the 5/6 series is a plus to the less distraction equation. And the fact that almost all information is at one location that can be changed before actually looking is a plus as well - not one place for nav and another for other info. In looking at those clever packages in M45, Lexus, MB, Acura, Audi, etc., I just do not find them easier to manage the cockpit environment. Let me write some auto reviews and see how they like it
Old 03-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

I like I-drive because the chicks dig it. Always wanting to touch and spin the button. YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Mar 1 2005, 01:41 PM']
I love the iDrive.

When I drive my E60, I rest my right elbow on the center arm rest. I tend to use the shifter knob to change gears on my SMG, rather than the paddles. With my arm on the armrest, the shifter is just a flick of the wrist.

Then, the iDrive controller is also right there in hands reach. I am operate it without moving my right elbow. I find this setup extremely comfortable.

must be something wrong with my bmw because i use my left elbow
Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Mar 1 2005, 01:44 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:59 AM'].....Top Gear magazine in the UK seem to think we will!....
They need to RTFM and learn to use the voice command. <_<
[snapback]95671[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bee - my thoughts exactly....

Quick Reply: I - Drive = I - Distract