E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I don't like the cornering lights...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple months of owning and driving my 535, I have found that I don't like the cornering lights.

I liked the old e39 four-bulb setup with the high beams being inboard and the driving lights on the outside.

Although it looks similar, I primarily dislike the way the cornering lights light up when you have the turn signal activated.

I saw the reflection of the lights while sitting at a stop light, and it looks like a bulb is out. It's not symmetrical.

Driving lights on, one of the "inner" lights is lit in the direction that I'm turning.

I know how and why it works, just wanted to share my feelings.

Anyway of turning them off?

I do like the active headlights though.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Don't think there is a way to disengage the cornering lights..but most members do change these bulbs to a whiter color....

GP Thunder H3 bulbs seems to be the recc'd brand...I have a pic in my gallery as well....
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya every time I see it on a Merc or BMW it looks like its a bulb out... I even think that and I know what it really is...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='711247' date='Nov 3 2008, 02:14 PM
Don't think there is a way to disengage the cornering lights..but most members do change these bulbs to a whiter color....
Some members are too lame to figure it out by themselves and then beg for help from other members
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='711328' date='Nov 3 2008, 04:06 PM
Some members are too lame to figure it out by themselves and then beg for help from other members

BTT:
...wonder if there is a way to disengage those cornering lamps. Those lamps are the pre-lci DRL's. And to disengage those DRL lamps for pre-LCI just took a trip to the dealer...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

This is going to sound really stupid (I can't help it) but why would it look as if a light was out due to the cornering lamp? Is it just because when one is activated it make the non activated one (other side) look like it's out
Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='711467' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:59 PM
This is going to sound really stupid (I can't help it) but why would it look as if a light was out due to the cornering lamp? Is it just because when one is activated it make the non activated one (other side) look like it's out
the inner bulb turns only when turning toward that side. Otherwise it is off....so if turning left, the driver side inner bulb will turn on. Looking like there is 2 lights on the driver side (corner light and xenon) and only one on the passenger side (xenon only). Note, the cornering lights only work in the adaptive headlight position (3, one click to the left)....
Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='711467' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:59 PM
When you make an actual turn or activate the turning signal, prior to turning (i.e., You're at a light), only that side lights up. It's basically lighting up the periphery of that side of the car, so when you begin to make the turn, you can see better. That said, if you are facing these lights and that person has their turn signal on, it looks like the car has 3 lights on and not 4. I like how it lights up when you turn, but I agree that it's annoying when it goes on, after the turn signal is activated and you are at a complete stop.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think, as with any of this new technology, it will look totally "normal" in a few years as other cars start to incorporate these features. I don't mind it at all now since, if you ask me, it kind of looks high-tech. If you watch the light come on, you'll see that it comes on gradually (from dim to bright) and goes back off in a gradual way too. You can see that it illuminates as soon as the turn signal is activated and it only remains on while the car is stationary for a short time (it turns itself off if you don't move right away). There are also times when it comes on with the turn of the wheel only, etc.

Overally, if someone looks at the car for any length of time beyond a second or two, they'll likely see more than just a "burned out bulb" look. Again, I think it looks cool and high-tech. If someone thinks I have a bulb burned out, I don't really care too much...
Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi

i like driving with my fog lights on. i don't think they ever burned out.

Quick Reply: I don't like the cornering lights...