E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I committed a mortal sin, I bought an alternative battery.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Below what is written in WDS. Up to you if you follow it or not. I don't take the risk.

Registering the battery replacement

Why register the battery replacement?

After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.
Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.

Register battery replacement

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:

The current kilometre reading is stored for the battery replacement.
The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.
The power management is initialised.

Replacing the battery: other battery capacity or AGM battery

As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:

Battery capacity (for example 90 Ah)
Battery type: AGM battery or lead-acid battery.

In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:

With Progman, run the retrofit ”Battery” (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).
Register additional battery replacements with this service function.

BLB0506GR6121BATT

Battery: battery capacity and battery type

The battery capacity can be read from the label with the technical data. The other label contains safety instructions.
AGM batteries can be recognised by the black battery housing. The cycle-proof AGM batteries are used for especially heavy loads on the vehicle network depending on equipment and requirements.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything in the WDS write up.

By far the most important reason to register the battery would be a change from a FLA to AGM battery. During periods of low balance of charge, if the battery temperature, as sensed by the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) is low enough, and the total load on the system remains high, the DME can signal the alternator to increase its output voltage. For FLA registered batteries this can be a maximum of 15.5V. However, an AGM battery can be damaged by charge voltages of greater than 14.8V and registering an AGM battery will institute a voltage limit in the DME.

The other reasons to register the battery would be a change in the amperage rating and to set the installation date, from which the DME can calculate the age to be used in the SoH (State of Health) / SoC (State of Charge) charging algorithm to determine the length and voltage level of battery charging.

If the purchased battery is the same type (AGM or FLA) as was already coded, and the amperage rating is the same as already coded then only the battery installation date has changed.

Because the SoC, SoH, balance of charge and battery temperature are dynamically calculated from data fed by the IBS to the CAS or DME, and used to vary the alternator charging pattern, it is questionable as to the real importance of the DME knowing the battery installation date.

Starting with a new fully charged battery with an old installation date one could measure the charging pattern. Then starting with a new fully charged battery and a new installation date one could measure the charging pattern and compare the two, to see if indeed the new battery would be overcharged by the power management system with the old installation date.

My feeling is that because the battery temperature is monitored constantly by the IBS, over-charging would be quickly sensed by the system and the charging voltage reduced.

Many who have replaced their batteries with the exact same specification battery are experiencing no power system problems and no noticeable shortening of battery life.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepless in Chicago!

You guys really know how to scare a man. I totally had forgotten about this thread. Now I won't be able to sleep in peace knowing that the battery monster is lurking in the background ready to strike with one of those infamous iDrive error codes or left stranded on the side of the road. See here is my predicament. The shop that I deal with said that his bud is a BMW tech and would stop by to register the battery at a good discount. OK, should I trust this guy just because his a BMW Tech. Will he do the proper software upgrade for 50 bucks on a job that take BMW 2 hours to accomplish?
For that matter trust anyone from those non BMW shops. How can I confirm that they actually did the upgrade? How can I confirm that they did the upgraded by the book? You know what they say, once you have lived in NY you don't trust no one, not even Grandma.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Coding and registering a battery takes less than 15 minutes. So, paying an indy $50 is more than fair and should guaranty you a correct job. Sorry, if you feel you cannot trust anybody.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jrosa55
You guys really know how to scare a man. I totally had forgotten about this thread. Now I won't be able to sleep in peace knowing that the battery monster is lurking in the background ready to strike with one of those infamous iDrive error codes or left stranded on the side of the road. See here is my predicament. The shop that I deal with said that his bud is a BMW tech and would stop by to register the battery at a good discount. OK, should I trust this guy just because his a BMW Tech. Will he do the proper software upgrade for 50 bucks on a job that take BMW 2 hours to accomplish?
For that matter trust anyone from those non BMW shops. How can I confirm that they actually did the upgrade? How can I confirm that they did the upgraded by the book? You know what they say, once you have lived in NY you don't trust no one, not even Grandma.
First, did you buy the same type battery (white FLA or black AGM) as was in the car before?
Second did you buy the same amperage rating as the old battery?

If the answer to both of these is yes, then only the installation date will need to be registered, and even the necessity of that is questionable.

YES, IF YOUR GRANDMA IS A BMW TECH SHE CAN CODE THE BATTERY IN 15 MINUTES!

We don't refer to dealers as $tealers for nothing.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
First, did you buy the same type battery (white FLA or black AGM) as was in the car before?
Second did you buy the same amperage rating as the old battery?

If the answer to both of these is yes, then only the installation date will need to be registered, and even the necessity of that is questionable.

YES, IF YOUR GRANDMA IS A BMW TECH SHE CAN CODE THE BATTERY IN 15 MINUTES!

We don't refer to dealers as $tealers for nothing.
To be honest the only person, not even a person, I would trust with my life is my dog Rusty LOL. Not sure if I got all the spec's similar to the BMW OEM battery. I just went by whatever the AutoZone computer spit out. The 50 bucks came out of my ass, not sure what he'll charge. Now a days, no one will come out of their house for less of 100.00 bucks to do anything. Anyone in the Chitown area has the nifty software and cable handy?
Do you think I can get by with the battery that I have? Btw, thanks you for the help. I know you guys mean well. I shouldn't be so tight ass and walk blindly into the BMW dealer and pay more than what I paid for my battery and call it a day. I can't believe that I used the word ass 3 times in a paragraph. That a first for me. It's just the rebel in me. I just think that these companies are out to steal your money. Especially B M W. I found that out the hard way when my wife X3 blew a universal joint. On my Cherokee it cost me 20 bucks to replace it. On the X3 the AWD front axel joint is built in into the shaft which in turned cost $700.00. OK, I give up. Honey, where is the BMW tech phone number?

Duralast Platinum/Battery (H8-AGM) | AutoZone.com

Last edited by Jrosa55; 08-17-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The title of this thread amuses me. To me, a mortal,sin would be to buy a battery from BMW (not the other way around). Put in whatever battery fits properly and has sufficient capacity. But, I am in the get it coded camp.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
The title of this thread amuses me. To me, a mortal,sin would be to buy a battery from BMW (not the other way around). Put in whatever battery fits properly and has sufficient capacity. But, I am in the get it coded camp.

I'll pursue the code path. I wonder if it's cheaper to buy the cable and software and do it myself.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Members

I replaced my 08 E61 535XI battery with the new BMW version. Its different than the old version but i got it from the stealership for circa $500 with a "Discount" (WTF!!!).
I did not "Register" it as Seattle BMW wanted over $300 to do so. That was about 18 months and 30K miles ago. No issues.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey-
I replaced my 08 E61 535XI battery with the new BMW version. Its different than the old version but i got it from the stealership for circa $500 with a "Discount" (WTF!!!).
I did not "Register" it as Seattle BMW wanted over $300 to do so. That was about 18 months and 30K miles ago. No issues.
Same here.

Quick Reply: I committed a mortal sin, I bought an alternative battery.