E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I can't win with my 04 545i

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I'm not complaing yet because my dealer gives me awsome loaners (I had a brand new 535 last week), but it has needed a lot of service in the past six months:

2004 545, bought CPO in early Dec. 07:

3 trips to dealer for passenger airbag sensor
two trips for door seals creaking
Total of 9 days at shop for clutch creaking; replaced entire clutch, re-lubed the pins and connections, and it STILL CREAKS!!!
One trip for hard brake pedal at start-up and car pulling during braking

I still love the car and, again, I can't complain because my dealer always takes good care of me, but I am seriously worried about this car's condition when the CPO runs out.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='608720' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm not complaing yet because my dealer gives me awsome loaners (I had a brand new 535 last week), but it has needed a lot of service in the past six months:

2004 545, bought CPO in early Dec. 07:

3 trips to dealer for passenger airbag sensor
two trips for door seals creaking
Total of 9 days at shop for clutch creaking; replaced entire clutch, re-lubed the pins and connections, and it STILL CREAKS!!!
One trip for hard brake pedal at start-up and car pulling during braking

I still love the car and, again, I can't complain because my dealer always takes good care of me, but I am seriously worried about this car's condition when the CPO runs out.
It appears we have had some similar issues. As far as the car "post CPO" hopefully the kinks will be worked out by then. My philosophy is when it gets to a certain point in repair cost the car is gone. I would love to get a 3rd party extended warranty up to 100k for another couple years, but to me the cost i.e. $4k on a $26k-30k car is just not economically viable for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by mk4' post='608751' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:01 PM
It appears we have had some similar issues. As far as the car "post CPO" hopefully the kinks will be worked out by then. My philosophy is when it gets to a certain point in repair cost the car is gone. I would love to get a 3rd party extended warranty up to 100k for another couple years, but to me the cost i.e. $4k on a $26k-30k car is just not economically viable for me.
That's a good point. Paying 15% of the car's value for an extended warrany probably isn't worth it. You could likely take that $4k and combine it with whatever equity you have in the car and have a nice down payment on another CPO car.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I bought my 04 545i in March of this year with only 50k (KM) on it. This car spends more time at the dealer than me driving it. If I tell how many parts have been replaced on this car to date, I would probably have as long of a list as yours if not even longer. I thought my previous 740i was high on maintenance! it is nothing compare to the 545i. These cars are trouble and I honestly cannot believe how BMW uses crappy parts in such expensive vehicles and get away with it. As bad as it sounds, I think BMW engineers needs to take some lessons from the Japanese engineers on how to build a robust vehicles. Yes BMW drives nicely but when it comes to reliability they are at the bottom of the list. The amount of time and money one has to put into these vehicles is not worth it. My wife has an Acura RL, I tell you it drives very nicely has lots of power/luxury all the bells and whistles but does not have the problems that I have with my 545i. I know some people on the forum will get upset about what I'm saying but this is reality with owning a BMW. All I can say is I sympathize with everyone on this forum that is having problems because I'm in the same boat.

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='608939' date='Jun 24 2008, 06:57 AM
That's a good point. Paying 15% of the car's value for an extended warrany probably isn't worth it. You could likely take that $4k and combine it with whatever equity you have in the car and have a nice down payment on another CPO car.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Im telling ya BMW doesnt Certify anything well maybe to make sure the price is right. In my first 2 months of my 525 it had a complete steering colum replacement, headlamp, complete front brake service, oil change, they had to warranty out the exhaust cause one of the muffler brackets was broken. then i had premature front pad wear soon after that.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 AM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='609003' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:51 AM
Im telling ya BMW doesnt Certify anything well maybe to make sure the price is right. In my first 2 months of my 525 it had a complete steering colum replacement, headlamp, complete front brake service, oil change, they had to warranty out the exhaust cause one of the muffler brackets was broken. then i had premature front pad wear soon after that.
I am going to have to agree with this statement. As I feel the certification is no more than a checklist that they just signoff on. I think if some of the obvious things need to be replaced like tires, and brakes for example, but if there are some ticks that require diagnostics I am sure they will wait until one of us roles along and purchases the vehicle. Then we drive it off the lot and find out that it has some ticks, take it back to the dealership who will repair at the cost of BMW of North America not the dealers pocket. Just my two sense from my experience.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

i think the post was about dodgy dealers being less then reputable ,not the car quality my bad
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by northern-monkey' post='608613' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:37 PM
yep.......................I guess in my ignorance , I bought from a dealer called 21st century lease in NJ (the Nj boys will know it I think)
I was told it was an 05 to find out it was an 04 I took it to JMK in springfiedl (brilliant folks there) to find it had a substaintal accident so my list form buying this vehicle is like yours

I had battery replaced and the leads (bmw design them to sever in an accident for safety) taped back with electrical tape
two new air bag pillars covers
new front glass had a crack
new side sill
new rear bumper (full of bondo)
missing trim under driver seat
new steering wheel
all tires not road legal
no front plate bracket

still waiting spare keys

I have the BBB involved but not really hopefull

so my advise for dollars more get a certified vehicle for piece of mind, I must have dropped about $5k in two months getting it to a level , that you would expect

oh well c'est la vie I guess what goes around !
Your state would have some pretty pre-historic auto-buyer protection laws not to make the dealer take this car back. The first thing that stands out is you say they said it was an '05, meaning the sales paperwork would ay '05. If it's actually an '04, the sales contract is void. Secondly, the car being sold with unsafe tires on it would land the dealer in hot water. "Taping" together severed battery cables and selling the car would also cause the dealer some minor (sarcasm) problems as well. I have no idea what New Jersey's buyer protection laws are, but this being the 21st century and all, I would think talking to a lawyer might be advisable. If you don't get your money back with this peach, I would never buy a car in Jersey again. That's scary.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='609535' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:03 PM
Your state would have some pretty pre-historic auto-buyer protection laws not to make the dealer take this car back. The first thing that stands out is you say they said it was an '05, meaning the sales paperwork would ay '05. If it's actually an '04, the sales contract is void. Secondly, the car being sold with unsafe tires on it would land the dealer in hot water. "Taping" together severed battery cables and selling the car would also cause the dealer some minor (sarcasm) problems as well. I have no idea what New Jersey's buyer protection laws are, but this being the 21st century and all, I would think talking to a lawyer might be advisable. If you don't get your money back with this peach, I would never buy a car in Jersey again. That's scary.

+1!! well said fastkevin....
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo' post='609538' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:15 AM
+1!! well said fastkevin....
+2...I am shitting my pants as we speak...my 04 is just out of warranty now...and I am scared as hell. Did not have any major issue before the CPO expired. Keeping my fingers crossed as well!

Quick Reply: I can't win with my 04 545i