E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I cant go over 20mph! Transmission fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60: 2004 545i - Sport steptronic Rear & side sun shades Heated seats & steering wheel Sport & Winter packages Adaptive headlights Exterior: OEM M5 Front Bumper OEM M5 Fenders 20" 163 Replica M6 wheels Debadged Performance: OEM E60 M5 Big Brake Kit ***Removed*** AFE CAI (HOT air intake lol.) (not to happy with upgrade) Lighting: MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes Motorcepts License Plate Lamps Motorcepts Amber Signals (Front & Rear) Motorcepts Amber Side Markers Motorcepts D2S 6000K low beams (Awesome!) Sound: Stocker than a mutha eff'er!

morning everyone..

well this morning went to turn on the car and as soon as i turned it on... all kind of idrive errors popped up..

dynamic drive.
tire pressure malfunction.
transmission fault.
high emission.

the first thing that came to mind was the rain.... that we been having in new york.. fried the computer.. (yes i know not logical...)
so i quickly turned off the car.. took key out.. and restarted...

transmisson fault and high
emission remained.

Car does not seem to go above 20mph... there is alot of resistence. ( i found out because i had to take fiancee to work)
It does not shift into DS or Shiftronic (automatic transmission)

Has any one expierenced this?
If you see my last post a few weeks back, i noticed a leak when they did my exhaust... didnt smell like motor oil.
could this be from a transmission leak.... lack of transmission fluid?

I had a transmission slip... about 3 weeks ago.. in shift tronic from 3rd to 4th.. (car revv'ed but didnt fall into gear until i came off the pedal)
earlier this week.. i went into drive.. and the car went in reverse.. almost felt as if the gears were sticking... i let it warm up more.. and went back into drive.. and all seemed well..
now this.

any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I have the same car... "Limp Home" or "Safe" mode... its keeps you from screwing your car up. Check the trunk and passenger floors for water. We got a ton of rain and I had the same issue last year - it was water infiltration and led to an insurance claim with over $12k in damage when all was said and done. When the front drains clog they fill the ebox with water until it backs up into the passener cabin where the main wiring harness and numerous sensors are...

My crappy day
Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I would say it is definitely electrical, thus your surmise about rain and computer is not that far off-base. There are lots of electronics in the spare tire area of the trunk, so easy to get wet and fry.

How many miles on your car? Your additional problems with the tranny suggest ongoing tranny issues. How about a tranny service? Filter and fluid flush...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E60: 2004 545i - Sport steptronic Rear & side sun shades Heated seats & steering wheel Sport & Winter packages Adaptive headlights Exterior: OEM M5 Front Bumper OEM M5 Fenders 20" 163 Replica M6 wheels Debadged Performance: OEM E60 M5 Big Brake Kit ***Removed*** AFE CAI (HOT air intake lol.) (not to happy with upgrade) Lighting: MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes Motorcepts License Plate Lamps Motorcepts Amber Signals (Front & Rear) Motorcepts Amber Side Markers Motorcepts D2S 6000K low beams (Awesome!) Sound: Stocker than a mutha eff'er!

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I have the same car... "Limp Home" or "Safe" mode... its keeps you from screwing your car up. Check the trunk and passenger floors for water. We got a ton of rain and I had the same issue last year - it was water infiltration and led to an insurance claim with over $12k in damage when all was said and done. When the front drains clog they fill the ebox with water until it backs up into the passener cabin where the main wiring harness and numerous sensors are...

My crappy day

@jaycal Thank you for allowing me to read your expeirence.
I went downstairs to check the rugs and trunk.. and they are indeed wet.
I cant say super saturated.. but they definitely took on some water.. I havent driven in two days.. so its not from carwash or daily in and out from a rain fall.

Did you do an insurance claim prior to finding out the sensor modules were wet?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
I would say it is definitely electrical, thus your surmise about rain and computer is not that far off-base. There are lots of electronics in the spare tire area of the trunk, so easy to get wet and fry.

How many miles on your car? Your additional problems with the tranny suggest ongoing tranny issues. How about a tranny service? Filter and fluid flush...

But i have a new nightmare to handle.. and take care of.. if it truly is water damage... i dont even know where to begin with this nightmare.
The filter and flush and new oil pan.. was scheduled for 2 weeks from now...
72k on the car.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by ChrisHostos
@jaycal Thank you for allowing me to read your expeirence.
I went downstairs to check the rugs and trunk.. and they are indeed wet.
I cant say super saturated.. but they definitely took on some water.. I havent driven in two days.. so its not from carwash or daily in and out from a rain fall.

Did you do an insurance claim prior to finding out the sensor modules were wet?

Oh boy... I have a friend who is a BMW tech and took it right to his house... we tore the carpets and seats out and let it air out with fans and dehumidifiers for a couple days and the connections were so saturated it didnt matter. Under the passenger side is a bunch of sensors and modules including active steering, ARS and the major wiring harness from the back of the car to the engine connecting all the modules (and the subwoofers).

Check your ebox up front on the passenger side below the microcabin filter. There are a couple modules in that box along with a fan... when the drain backs up it fills that box swamping the modules there, until it backs up into the passenger compartment. The carpeting and padding is so thick that it takes forever to dry and the water seeps and sits on these sensitive electronics.

The drains need to be cleared out - its a common problem in this car and its not that easy to do yourself because to do the front you have to remove the wheels and wheel well covers to access them.

I was advised to contact the insurance company the day after it happened - when dealing with electronics as well as a possible mold issue, you should... people will warn you about making a claim but look at my total damage... I can send you a list of expenses - fricken brutal! USAA was amazing and my car is like new now!

Feel free to PM me if needed...