E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I can't believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010 | 04:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

So I'm at my local area BMW dealership yesterday to transfer over the BMW-Assist subscription on my 550i into my name. The car is "new to me" used, non-CPO, and purchased from a private dealer who obtained the car from auction. I'm sitting with the sale rep who's going over the BMW-Assist paperwork and pulling the VIN info on my car. We get to talking and ask if he can give me a little history about the car from the BMW records. He begins to tell me...

...Originally purchased in late 2007
...Single registered owner
...Female name
...Registered in New York, prominent suburb
...Car has only been in for scheduled maint, no unscheduled service visits
...Car has extended warranty
...Wait.. What!?!?

Turns out, when the original owner purchased she also bought an extended 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty directly through BMW service! The sales associate goes on to tell me, it's tied to the VIN, has the same coverage levels as the factory warranty, can be used at any factory BMW dealership, and is transferable.

I about fell out of the chair. Obviously when I bought the car, the private dealer where obtained had no clue about the extended warranty coupled to the VIN, and in-turn I was not charged any kind of premium for this benefit nor was I even aware it existed. So I think I really lucked out here and now have a 100k mile warranty

The only downside is that the SA couldn't give me any further information about it. I asked for a pamphlet, warranty agreement, or any kind of documentation describing the assigned coverage, he couldn't provide it. I even asked if I were to buy a new BMW today, and wanted to include this same warranty, what literature would he give me? He stated it's part of the actual sales contract and that he wouldn't be able to reproduce that info without a sales manager. I decided to not push my luck for the day. He then candidly advised me that it's linked to the VIN number and all I ever need to do is reference the VIN for any warranty service.

So what do you all think? Am I good here?
Old 04-02-2010 | 04:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport

you are lucky. your all good.
Old 04-02-2010 | 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

You are friggin GREAT here!!!!! Congrats on the find, that was lucky
Old 04-02-2010 | 05:36 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

wow im jealous
congrats!
Old 04-02-2010 | 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

I've been trying to research for more detail and found what appears to be the current version of the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection program (HERE). In the brochure it mentions different coverage levels available (powertrain plus, gold, platinum) and different extension periods (5yr/100, 6yr/100, 7yr/100). Granted I don't know if these were the parameters available with this program back in 07' when it was purchased on my vehicle.

So it appears I don't know exactly what coverage level is included. Seems that the only way I'm going to obtain this additional detail is to try get more information from the dealer.
Old 04-02-2010 | 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Read all the fine print VERY CAREFULLY!! I bought a BMW warranty before selling my wife's old X5 as a sweetener for the deal. The original owner has to request the transfer, in writing, within 30 days of transferring ownership! I failed to do this (had not read all the fine print!) and the warranty could not be transferred. Thankfully I got nearly a full refund but beware the fine print. You may not be covered!!
Old 04-02-2010 | 08:01 AM
Members

That's a great surprise! I am investigating possible extension on my CPO car as well.
Old 04-02-2010 | 12:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thats Fantastic!!!Congrats!! I would have been exctatic!!! You just saved yourself, um..... 10 Large!! At least.
Old 04-02-2010 | 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Read all the fine print VERY CAREFULLY!! I bought a BMW warranty before selling my wife's old X5 as a sweetener for the deal. The original owner has to request the transfer, in writing, within 30 days of transferring ownership! I failed to do this (had not read all the fine print!) and the warranty could not be transferred. Thankfully I got nearly a full refund but beware the fine print. You may not be covered!!
My aftermarket warranty transfer said the same thing. And I know for a factory warranty if you want to extend it, the original owner of the vehicle has to authorize it. So if you were to buy the car and wanted to extend it yourself, you couldn't.

Sorry didn't want to rain on your parade but hope your car is covered! What a sweet surprise. At first I thought it was going to end with something like... "...female name registered, and it turned out to be Jessica Alba!"

I hate how BMW lengthened the mileage of recommended oil changes and service intervals since they pay for maintenance. I personally wouldn't want a BMW that got oil changes every 15k miles, but that's pretty much every BMW on the road nowadays.